The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Discussion and Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I think it's a bar chart, then but the error bars either side of the actual bars :smile:
Thank you :smile: For the error bars do you think I would get away with doing plus or minus my calculated standard deviations instead of the standard error?
Original post by goldenshades
Thank you :smile: For the error bars do you think I would get away with doing plus or minus my calculated standard deviations instead of the standard error?

If I was you I would do standard error :smile:
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
If I was you I would do standard error :smile:
Okay, thanks again! I have my standard deviations although do not know how to do the standard error, do you by any chance know how to?
Okay, thanks again! I have my standard deviations although do not know how to do the standard error, do you by any chance know how to?

No sorry but you could try looking it up on the internet :smile:
Reply 124

Standard error is the standard deviation divided by the square root of the sample size.
i.e. SE=SD/sqrt(n)

Then for the bars you do 2 x the standard error above and below the mean. This gives you your 95% confidence limits.
Reply 125
Original post by Munrot07
They aren't equal :P

Original post by Claree
Each H atom is made up of 1 proton (H+) and 1 electron, if you meant equal in number when a H atom is ionised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cause the textbook said that in electron transport chain, oxygen acts as the final hydrogen acceptor and final electron electron acceptor, this makes me wonder why electron is the same is hydrogen ? any explanation to this statement?

thank you soo much!
Original post by Lamalam
cause the textbook said that in electron transport chain, oxygen acts as the final hydrogen acceptor and final electron electron acceptor, this makes me wonder why electron is the same is hydrogen ? any explanation to this statement?

thank you soo much!

They arent the same, protons go through atp synthase and bind with electrons from the electron transport chain to form hydrogen atoms which bind with oxygen to form water
Reply 127
Original post by Munrot07
They arent the same, protons go through atp synthase and bind with electrons from the electron transport chain to form hydrogen atoms which bind with oxygen to form water

then what should oxygen be? a hydrogen acceptor orelectron acceptor?
Original post by Lamalam
then what should oxygen be? a hydrogen acceptor orelectron acceptor?

It accepts both :smile: i know for ocr they want the answer to be electron acceptor but oxygen accepts both
Reply 129
Hi,
could someone explain the time since death and forensic entomology calculations to me please? The time to hatch and when to add etc...
Reply 130
Original post by felicianf
Hi,
could someone explain the time since death and forensic entomology calculations to me please? The time to hatch and when to add etc...

It all depends on the question. Without it no explanation is possible

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk
Just bumping this thread :h:
Currently we're doing some nucleic acid stuff.
Reply 132
Could someone be kind enough to post some time since death qs? Thanks!
Reply 133
AQA BIOLOGY ESSAY: If anyone could be of such kindness to help me understand these essay questions I would be upmost grateful.

All im asking for is a few bullet points of each suffice to make an essay. I don't even understand the first one.

The role of enzymes in the controll of metabolic pathways
The functions of nucleic acids
Relationships between animals and plants

Is it also possible if anyone could read this 'SHORT' essay I did and just let me know if the things I talked about are biologically correct lol.
All I want is an E possibly a D at A2! I used to love biology and got A*s at GCSE but after taking a huge confidence knock at AS due to personal circumstances and since then I just can't seem to get my head round the subject, I've done tonnes of past papers and exam questions, mind maps, posters and notes and I've even gone to ask teachers for help several times but I'm still lacking confidence. What should I do? It's really upsetting me and stressing me out. :frown: :frown:
Original post by Holly2595
All I want is an E possibly a D at A2! I used to love biology and got A*s at GCSE but after taking a huge confidence knock at AS due to personal circumstances and since then I just can't seem to get my head round the subject, I've done tonnes of past papers and exam questions, mind maps, posters and notes and I've even gone to ask teachers for help several times but I'm still lacking confidence. What should I do? It's really upsetting me and stressing me out. :frown: :frown:

If you've been through the past papers then you should know your weakest topics. Make sure you go through each question and understand which questions you were stuck on. You've just got to read through and remember each topic, and be able to apply them in examinations.
Briefly how does cAMP activate a protein? im slightly confused (OCR)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by king101
AQA BIOLOGY ESSAY: If anyone could be of such kindness to help me understand these essay questions I would be upmost grateful.

All im asking for is a few bullet points of each suffice to make an essay. I don't even understand the first one.

The role of enzymes in the controll of metabolic pathways

Is it also possible if anyone could read this 'SHORT' essay I did and just let me know if the things I talked about are biologically correct lol.

When I'm stuck for ideas for an essay I tend to start by going through the specification and noting down the relevant topics covered by A level.

The role of enzymes in the control of metabolic pathways

This means the reactions enzymes catalyse in metabolic pathways (series of chemical reactions that occur in cells)

General introduction on how enzymes work, how they catalyse reactions

Then write about the enzymes involved in series of reactions like those listed below, and the reactions they catalyse:

Respiration
-Glycolysis
-Krebs cycle

Fermentation

Photosynthesis (carbon metabolism)
-Light independent reaction

Protein synthesis (protein metabolism)
-RNA polymerase, DNA helicase

Control of blood sugar (carbon metabolism)
-Gluconeogenesis
-Glycogenolysis
-Glycogenolysis
-Glycogenesis

Extra stuff not on specification:

Urea cycle
-Arginase

Fatty acid degradation (lipid metabolism)
Fatty acid synthesis

Purine metabolism (nucleotide metabolism)
Pyrimidine metabolism
Nucelotide salvage

Introduction - what nucleic acids are, structure, nucleotides

RNA
-mRNA, tRNA, role in protein synthesis (translation, transcription), gene expression
+rRNA, tmRNA (not on spec)
-carry genetic information (RNA viruses)
-RNA with regulatory role (not on spec) e.g. miRNA, siRNA, piRNA

DNA
-to pass on genetic material
-code for sequences of amino acids to make proteins
-DNA replication
-could go on to write about how adapted for its function
-compare prokaryotic and eukaryotic
-mitochondrial DNA

Introduction about how plants and animals don't live in isolation

Animals benefiting from plants
Forming habitatse.g. rainforest
-food sources
-places to hide from predators

Plants benefiting from plants
-Animals dispersing seed
-Bees and other insects pollinating flowers

Energy transfer from plants to animals (herbivores)
-which parts absorbed
-reasons for energy losses
-photosynthesis - converts sun's energy to compounds usable by animals

Succession
e.g. sheep grazing

Any examples of mutualism you can find

Animals acting as parasites on plants

Competition for resources
-different niches plants and animals - limits competition
Reply 138
I am currently studying my A2 in biology, I got a C last year despite getting an A and a B in my exams as my coursework let me down, I really dont want the same to happen this year and so I was wondering of you had any tips on how to do well in the A2 coursework?
Reply 139
Original post by Claree
When I'm stuck for ideas for an essay I tend to start by going through the specification and noting down the relevant topics covered by A level.

The role of enzymes in the control of metabolic pathways

This means the reactions enzymes catalyse in metabolic pathways (series of chemical reactions that occur in cells)

General introduction on how enzymes work, how they catalyse reactions

Then write about the enzymes involved in series of reactions like those listed below, and the reactions they catalyse:

Respiration
-Glycolysis
-Krebs cycle

Fermentation

-Gluconeogenesis
-Glycogenolysis
-Glycogenolysis
-Glycogenesis

Extra stuff not on specification:

Urea cycle
-Arginase

Fatty acid degradation (lipid metabolism)
Fatty acid synthesis

Purine metabolism (nucleotide metabolism)
Pyrimidine metabolism
Nucelotide salvage

Thank You so much! Really appreciate it :smile: One thing is I have forgotten 100% unit 4 respiration/fermentation/photosynthesis. From what you have written for ' The role of enzymes in the control of metabolic pathways' I know:

-Gluconeogenesis
-Glycogenesis

Would just writing about those two in total be suffice? Also I don't quite understand what you mean by: 'enzymes involved in series of reactions'. Does this mean like when during Protein synthesis replication you have like DNA strands being separated via DNA Helicase enzyme and then RNA polymerase...makes the mRNA which THEN due to these enzymes it leads to the formation of a protein.

Also could I COULD NOT write about DNA replication involving DNA Polymerase involved in semi-conservative replication<---once the DNA polymerase is adding nucleotide to the template strands nothing else happens...so it wouldnt be a metabolic pathway right?

so to sum it up the things I can write about/have learnt are:

Protein Synthesis:

Involving DNA helicase enzyme breaking the H bonds in DNA and then RNA polymerase enzyme forming the mRNA which the leads to the formation of proteins..

Controlling Blood Glucose Concentration:

Adrenaline binds to a receptor site on target cell=adrenaline receptor complex=activates enzymes inside of cell=converts ATP-->cyclic AMP=second messenger=converts glycogen-->glucose.

is there nothing else in unit 1/2/5? Those are the only units i've been revising omgg...if not could you please please explain to me these:

Respiration
-Glycolysis
-Krebs cycle

Fermentation

Thank you again and sorry im really stressing out!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending