The Student Room Group

Help with these two differentiation questions

1) The curve y = x^2 - 3x -4 crosses the x axis at P and Q. The tangents to the curve P and Q meet at R. The normals to the curve at P and Q meet at S. Find the distance RS.

2) The line y = 6x - 7 is a tangent to the curve y = x^2 + k. Find k.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Alex1397
1) The curve y = x^2 - 3x -4 crosses the x axis at P and Q. The tangents to the curve P and Q meet at R. The normals to the curve at P and Q meet at S. Find the distance RS.

2) The line y = 6x - 7 is a tangent to the curve y = x^2 + k. Find k.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you try?
Original post by Alex1397
Posted from TSR Mobile

(i)Think of the y value at the x-axis
(ii)Find P and Q with that information
(iii)Find the gradient of the curve. Substitute the x values of P and Q into
gradient.
(iii)Use the gradient value to find the equations of the tangents using the formula yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)
(iv)Solve the simultaneous equations to find the point of intersection, R.
(v)Substitute the x values of P and Q into the negative inverse of the gradient (as it's a normal: recall m1m2=1m_1m_2=-1)
(vi)Use the formula yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1) and the new gradient to find the equations of the normals.
(vii)Solve the simultaneous equations to find the point of intersection, S.
(viii)Apply the distance formula to find the distance between S and R
:biggrin:
Reply 3
For the first one my friend said that I had to factorise the curve to get (x+1) (x-4) then them equal to zero so then I got x = -1 and then x = 4. Then for the co ordinates for p was (-1,0) and q was (4,0).
Then I differentiated the curve to get dy/dx = 2x-3 I'm not sure what to do next

The second question i manage to differentiate the curve to get dy/dy = 2x+k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest