The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Maths Test for Engineering Courses

Good day to anyone reading this.

I'm taking the Bristol maths test for engineering courses this year. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea which unit they ask questions from. I'm self-studying and would love to know if I can focus on Pure Maths for my revision. The website only gives a focus area for those doing Maths courses. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello i'm also self-studying for the test and was wondering if you've took it yet. If you have i was wondering how it went, what were the questions like was it more a level or gcse maths or a mix of both and was it high in difficulty or average and is it multiple choice? sorry that i have a lot of questions but there seems to be little to know threads about the test.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Hello. I did take it, and I got in. It was mainly differentiation and integration mixed with exponentials, trigonometry and natural logarithms. There were also about two questions on sketching graphs. All questions were A Level standard so I suggest reading up the AS and A Level content for these topics.

The practice tests are also very helpful. Practice them till you start recognising what a question is asking for before you finish reading the question.

Goodluck.
Reply 3
Original post by DarylO
Hello. I did take it, and I got in. It was mainly differentiation and integration mixed with exponentials, trigonometry and natural logarithms. There were also about two questions on sketching graphs. All questions were A Level standard so I suggest reading up the AS and A Level content for these topics.

The practice tests are also very helpful. Practice them till you start recognising what a question is asking for before you finish reading the question.

Goodluck.

Wow this is very helpful I will start practicing them thank you very much.
Reply 4
Original post by Emmanuel24
Wow this is very helpful I will start practicing them thank you very much.

You're welcome ^_^
Original post by DarylO

Goodluck.
Hi, thank you for this info!

If you don’t mind me asking, was it mostly AS level content? As on their website it seems to list mostly AS stuff from the spec.

Also, I wondered if you answer the questions online, like just type them in a box and press enter? Or you print it off and then scan it back in? Do you have 24 hours to fill it in after looking at the paper, or you have 90 mins once you open the paper? Can you read the whole paper before you enter in any answers?

Roughly what percentage of questions were differentiation, integration, exponentials, trig, natural logs? How many questions are there?

Thank you if you have time!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

If you don’t mind me asking, was it mostly AS level content? As on their website it seems to list mostly AS stuff from the spec.

Also, I wondered if you answer the questions online, like just type them in a box and press enter? Or you print it off and then scan it back in? Do you have 24 hours to fill it in after looking at the paper, or you have 90 mins once you open the paper? Can you read the whole paper before you enter in any answers?

Roughly what percentage of questions were differentiation, integration, exponentials, trig, natural logs? How many questions are there?

Have you received your log in details for the mock test yet ?
No but they said it would be 14 days before the exam? So in about a week I presume…

I know there is a sample question paper on the university of Bristol site for the maths test for maths courses, but there doesn’t seem to be one for the engineering maths test :frown:
Reply 8
No but they said it would be 14 days before the exam? So in about a week I presume…

I know there is a sample question paper on the university of Bristol site for the maths test for maths courses, but there doesn’t seem to be one for the engineering maths test :frown:
Yeah that one seems completely different I’m not sure but it seems to be more year 2 stuff
Yeah that one seems completely different I’m not sure but it seems to be more year 2 stuff
Yeah it’s different topics. Ours seems to cover more topics.
Reply 10

Hello. I can't answer all your questions as it has been a while since I did the test, but I'll try to answer what I remember.

It was AS and AL content. So you'll have to read your given list of topics up to AL standard. You'll figure out how far to read on each by checking the detailed syllabus for any A Level Maths exam board. What I'm certain of is that the test covers only the Pure Maths section. Some topics were unnecessary like hyperbolas and parabolas as those were Further Maths content, and we weren't tested on them.

The test included multiple choice and blank space questions. For the blank ones, you'll be told what form to leave your answer in. Do follow that form strictly or the automatic checker will mark it as a fail.

You're given 24 hours to complete the test, but I would advise you to complete it as effectively and swiftly as you can. That'll set you apart from the rest. As for the percentage of questions and the number, I don't remember. It'll be very similar to the format of the mock tests you'll do.
Reply 11
Also, don't be worried by the Maths test for Maths courses. Those students are expected to have done Further Maths as well as self-studied some extra topics to be able to partake in exams like the STEP paper. Their Maths test is harder. They're more lenient with Engineering students.
Original post by DarylO
Hello. I can't answer all your questions as it has been a while since I did the test, but I'll try to answer what I remember.

It was AS and AL content. So you'll have to read your given list of topics up to AL standard. You'll figure out how far to read on each by checking the detailed syllabus for any A Level Maths exam board. What I'm certain of is that the test covers only the Pure Maths section. Some topics were unnecessary like hyperbolas and parabolas as those were Further Maths content, and we weren't tested on them.

The test included multiple choice and blank space questions. For the blank ones, you'll be told what form to leave your answer in. Do follow that form strictly or the automatic checker will mark it as a fail.

You're given 24 hours to complete the test, but I would advise you to complete it as effectively and swiftly as you can. That'll set you apart from the rest. As for the percentage of questions and the number, I don't remember. It'll be very similar to the format of the mock tests you'll do.
Hi thank you so much for replying with this info!

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but were all/most of the topics up to AL level? As on the web page for the engineering maths test it says only a few are but the rest are just covering the AS spec:

The AS content:

‘AS Module - Pure Core 1
•12.1 Algebra
•12.2 Coordinate Geometry
•12.3 Differentiation 12.4 Integration
AS Module - Pure Core 2
•13.1 Algebra and functions
•13.2 Sequences and series
•13.3 Trigonometry
•13.4 Exponentials and logarithms
o 13.5 Differentiation
•13.6 Integration’

AL content:

‘A2 Module - Pure Core 3
•14.1 Algebra and functions
•14.3 Exponentials and logarithms’
Reply 13
Hi thank you so much for replying with this info!

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but were all/most of the topics up to AL level? As on the web page for the engineering maths test it says only a few are but the rest are just covering the AS spec:

The AS content:

‘AS Module - Pure Core 1
•12.1 Algebra
•12.2 Coordinate Geometry
•12.3 Differentiation 12.4 Integration
AS Module - Pure Core 2
•13.1 Algebra and functions
•13.2 Sequences and series
•13.3 Trigonometry
•13.4 Exponentials and logarithms
o 13.5 Differentiation
•13.6 Integration’

AL content:

‘A2 Module - Pure Core 3
•14.1 Algebra and functions
•14.3 Exponentials and logarithms’

No worries.

I've taken the time to find my old emails and resources from then. They've made the list slightly different. Ours was not as detailed so we had a few extra topics we didn't even need. You can follow this new list as stated.

By the way, the main difference I would see in the list is the 'name of the sections'. Exam boards consider Pure Maths 2&3 to be AL content. I think that's where I confused you. My apologies. To get a clear picture of exactly which sub-topic to study, check the detailed syllabus for CAIE A Level Maths. Instead of using AS and AL to figure out how much to read, use Pure Maths 1, 2 & 3 as your boundaries.
Original post by DarylO
No worries.

I've taken the time to find my old emails and resources from then. They've made the list slightly different. Ours was not as detailed so we had a few extra topics we didn't even need. You can follow this new list as stated.

By the way, the main difference I would see in the list is the 'name of the sections'. Exam boards consider Pure Maths 2&3 to be AL content. I think that's where I confused you. My apologies. To get a clear picture of exactly which sub-topic to study, check the detailed syllabus for CAIE A Level Maths. Instead of using AS and AL to figure out how much to read, use Pure Maths 1, 2 & 3 as your boundaries.
Once again, thank you for all the information you have provided
Reply 15
Once again, thank you for all the information you have provided

You're welcome ^_^
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for this exam? Is it strict on achieving a grade A to get into the course?
Original post by Cyberdxy_
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for this exam? Is it strict on achieving a grade A to get into the course?
From what they’ve stated when I’ve been on the mock test they claim to not know what the pass grade is so I assume they look at all the results and make a decision based on the data but they say try and achieve 60/100 minimum. You probably know all that but just incase it helps in anyway
From what they’ve stated when I’ve been on the mock test they claim to not know what the pass grade is so I assume they look at all the results and make a decision based on the data but they say try and achieve 60/100 minimum. You probably know all that but just incase it helps in anyway
Thank you! I have another question, does this exam allow any previously written notes to be used during the exam or is it strictly forbidden?
From what I read it said it’s designed to be open book so videos notes and revision text books are allowed as long as you don’t use any AI or help from someone else which they state to be strictly forbidden also need to be using a regular scientific calculator because they will ask. But don’t forget you only have 90 minutes to complete

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending