The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Computer Science and Mathematics Interview

I have an interview with the School of Computer Science in December (yay! XD) and i was wondering if anyone who has had and interview with CS could tell me what to expect or what I should do to prepare for the interview. I've had a couple of mock interviews with my college already and they went OK.

Also, i read on a couple of different threads that if you get an interview, you've already got an offer. Is this true? And if it is, how will the interview affect the offer?
Reply 1
Original post by marlon667
I have an interview with the School of Computer Science in December (yay! XD) and i was wondering if anyone who has had and interview with CS could tell me what to expect or what I should do to prepare for the interview. I've had a couple of mock interviews with my college already and they went OK.

Also, i read on a couple of different threads that if you get an interview, you've already got an offer. Is this true? And if it is, how will the interview affect the offer?

Copied and pasted from a previous thread:

Whilst we can't say exactly what you'll be asked (that's not fair on everyone else) we can give you some general pointers. Obviously the most important questions are: Why Manchester? Why this degree? What do you like about the degree? Where do you see yourself in the future? This will hold true for any degree at any university, so make sure you have some answers prepared. They say you can wear what you want - it means wear a suit (pretty much everyone else will be wearing one) or something very smart casual like collared formal shirt and chinos (think doctor!) Interviews aren't the time to be slopping around!

You'll be given a tour and the opportunity to speak to some current or former students, make sure you ask some useful questions about being a student (timetabling, workload, accommodation, nights out, part-time work etc) which can help you make up your mind. If you have the tour and chat before your interview, use some of the information you've picked up in the interview - e.g. if you're asked "why Manchester?" give your response and then say that you like the facilities or that the students said good things about the availability of jobs or something. Make sure you've re-read your PS and be prepared to answer a few science questions; you won't know the answer, but they'll be looking to see how you approach the situation.

Whilst a lot of students who go to the interview will be given offers (interviews aren't used as the main culling method as they are in, say, Cambridge) it's by no means guaranteed so don't assume you've got an offer straight away! The interview is also the most important thing in deciding if you'll be allowed in should you not meet your offer. You should find out the result quite quickly afterwards, so that's one good thing about the process.

Interviews like this are never as bad as people make out, so don't worry and good luck!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I go to Manchester as a CS student but did not have an interview, however I can tell you what I've heard from other students which did have an interview.

The interview is mostly a show-around, lecture, a Q&A with current students, and an informal interview. It's nothing to worry about, as long as you can answer questions like the ones Strangey posted then you will be fine.

The point you said about interview = offer is not always true, but is often true.

If you have any questions about CS at Manchester which you would like answered then I'd be happy to answer them.
Reply 3
Do you need any prior knowledge of coding to be successful on the course? I'm worried people will have the upper hand over me when they've been programming since they've been 5 or something ridiculous.
Reply 4
Original post by djadanny
Do you need any prior knowledge of coding to be successful on the course? I'm worried people will have the upper hand over me when they've been programming since they've been 5 or something ridiculous.

No, it's an advantage, but definitely not a requirement. Programming is taught from the very beginning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending