The Student Room Group

Official Computer Science Applicant Thread 2024 Entry

Are you applying to study Computer Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...
Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:
Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course - BSc / BEng Computer Science G400
Applying to Cambridge (post-interview rejected), Imperial (offer), UCL (waiting), Manchester (offer) and Bristol (offer) (I know these are very competitive haha)
A Level grades: Predicted A* A* A* A* in Maths, FM, Physics, CS
GCSE grades: 9999999999
Random question: favourite food?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pwca

Are you applying to study Computer Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...
Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:
Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

CS/ CS with AI
Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, uni of bath, uni of Birmingham
A*A*A*A*
Reply 3
Applying to: Cambridge MEng (G400), Warwick MEng (G403), Warwick BSc (H651), Manchester BSc (G405), York BSc (G401)
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing)
GCSE: 9999998765
Question: I have applied to 4 universities for computer science but they all have different UCAS codes: G400, G401, G403, G405. Is this a difference in the curriculum?
Reply 4
Original post by Chew+
Applying to: Cambridge MEng (G400), Warwick MEng (G403), Warwick BSc (H651), Manchester BSc (G405), York BSc (G401)
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing)
GCSE: 9999998765
Question: I have applied to 4 universities for computer science but they all have different UCAS codes: G400, G401, G403, G405. Is this a difference in the curriculum?

Universities can teach the subject as they see fit.

All of them will teach you the basics, but as you progress into year 2/3 and beyond, you'll begin to see the differences in what they teach (e.g. some will offer networks, and some sadly won't 😭). I would encourage you to read up on the different modules that each university offers, so you know what you've signed up for.
Reply 5
I'm applying for MSci (4 year undergrad with 1 year work placement) at Glasgow/Edinburgh only, Glasgow is my first choice.
I already have a First Class BA(although it is from an art school) as well as Highers at AAAAAB (including maths and computing).
Does anyone know what my chances are like considering I already have an unrelated degree and my school grades are from 6 years ago?
Reply 6
Comp Sci and one for system engineering (it sounded p interesting)
QMULx2 (one apprenticeship & comp sci), City, Royal Holloway, Brunel
predictions: AABB (Computing, Maths, English Lit, Psychology)
bruh why is everyone here so smart ?! T*T
Reply 7
Original post by eenie_49
Comp Sci and one for system engineering (it sounded p interesting)
QMULx2 (one apprenticeship & comp sci), City, Royal Holloway, Brunel
predictions: AABB (Computing, Maths, English Lit, Psychology)
bruh why is everyone here so smart ?! T*T

i know i’m predicted bbc 😭. have you gotten any offers?
Course: Computer Science Bsc:

Applying to: University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, University of Cardiff, Nottingham Trent University, Edinburgh Napier University

Predictions AAB (Mathematics, Computer Science, History)

GCSE grades: 8877776665 L2P

Question: My only question is despite being in the grade range for Uni of Edinburgh is it competitive enough that I wouldn't get in with AAB?
Original post by haticex

Innit I wish I was pulling four A*s lmao, I've gotten offers at Napier and Cardiff university, what about you?
Original post by nmssnmss
I'm applying for MSci (4 year undergrad with 1 year work placement) at Glasgow/Edinburgh only, Glasgow is my first choice.
I already have a First Class BA(although it is from an art school) as well as Highers at AAAAAB (including maths and computing).
Does anyone know what my chances are like considering I already have an unrelated degree and my school grades are from 6 years ago?

Well some Universities care if you got your qualifications within 2 years of applying, but its worth checking their respective site as it should mention
Reply 11
Original post by jphillips7083
Innit I wish I was pulling four A*s lmao, I've gotten offers at Napier and Cardiff university, what about you?
idk if i was aiming too low, i got offers from westminister and city but it’s only been two days since i applied. is it usually this quick?
Original post by haticex
idk if i was aiming too low, i got offers from westminister and city but it’s only been two days since i applied. is it usually this quick?

Well it depends how far over the grade boundaries you are, I mean it’s always good to have ones that your over so you can be secure in going to uni, I think they auto accept for people with significantly higher grades but you’ll probably be waiting a while for royal Holloway as I think their comp sci is pretty competitive
Reply 13
Hey, applying for CS or AI, at KCL, Bristol, Queen Mary, and others undecided.
Reply 14
Original post by haticex

surprisingly yh i have (all except the apprenticeship which i’m p sure i’m not getting : p)!! hbu ?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Haribo22
Hey, applying for CS or AI, at KCL, Bristol, Queen Mary, and others undecided.

Nice! I was thinking about applying to bristol, what made you decide these?
Reply 16
Nice! I was thinking about applying to bristol, what made you decide these?

I really liked the modules on the degree for CS, and the professors from CS dept I spoke to seemed nice and seemed interested to speak to me about the course. Also I really like Bristol itself. I would recommend it :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 17
Well it depends how far over the grade boundaries you are, I mean it’s always good to have ones that your over so you can be secure in going to uni, I think they auto accept for people with significantly higher grades but you’ll probably be waiting a while for royal Holloway as I think their comp sci is pretty competitive

for city they want an ABB, i’m predicted a BBC so i’m kind of confused as to why they gave me an offer so quickly 😭
Original post by haticex
for city they want an ABB, i’m predicted a BBC so i’m kind of confused as to why they gave me an offer so quickly 😭

Well I mean I’d definitely take that lol, maybe it’s because of less applicants applying? either way as long as you can get the grades I’d be pretty happy abt it
Specific course: computer science Bsc
Universities applying: edinburgh (recieved offer)
St andrews and Glasgow (waiting)
Highers: predicted AAAAAA, in computing, maths, art, graphics biology and English

I will hopefully be going to Edinburgh in September

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending