The Student Room Group

grades for oxbridge???

hi guys!

if my gcse grades are as follows :

and a levels:
a*a*a*

would oxbridge be a practical uni choice?
only asking this bc I was wondering if you needed all 9s at gcse or not
Reply 1
Original post by emaanqur
hi guys!

and a levels:
a*a*a*

Yes those are fantastic grades. That one 8 won’t affect you at all. Oxford weighs GCSEs more, Cambridge tends to look at it equally to most other things. So since your grades are strong both would be good options .
hi guys!

and a levels:
a*a*a*

Which subject is the 8 achieved in? 😧

You would be a suitable candidate for Oxford for sure, as well as Cambridge.

Which degree course are you considering applying for?

Which A-Level subjects do you study currently? Or have you already achieved 3 A stars? 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
Which subject is the 8 achieved in? 😧

You would be a suitable candidate for Oxford for sure, as well as Cambridge.

Which degree course are you considering applying for?

Which A-Level subjects do you study currently? Or have you already achieved 3 A stars? 🙂

Hi

The 8 is in English literature, and the course I am looking to apply for is Computer science.
My a levels are maths, physics and computer science.
Hope this helps!
Hi

The 8 is in English literature, and the course I am looking to apply for is Computer science.
Hope this helps!

The 8 in GCSE English Literature is fine.

I would strongly recommend you take A-Level Further Maths. Because you will be competing against 20 or so other applicants per place at Oxford and 14 or so at Cambridge. 😧 About 90% of them will have Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics or Chemistry. 😉
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
hi guys!

and a levels:
a*a*a*

I'm a student at Oxford and got in with A*AA and 88887777777 so it's certainly possible as long as you perform well on the entrance exam and interview.
Reply 6
Hi

Hope this helps!

Your grades are fine, and many successful Cambridge applicants get in with lover grades, particularly GCSEs, however, you are very unlikely to get in to Computer Science at Cambridge without Further Maths I'm afraid. It is strongly recommended and very few get in without it:

Typical Computer Science entrants (A Level and IB)
[start]For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades 3xA* (81% of entrants). All took Mathematics, 96% took Further Mathematics, 85% took Physics and 59% took Computing.[/start]

I've not check Oxford, but suspect it is similar.
Reply 7
Original post by undefined
Your grades are fine, and many successful Cambridge applicants get in with lover grades, particularly GCSEs, however, you are very unlikely to get in to Computer Science at Cambridge without Further Maths I'm afraid. It is strongly recommended and very few get in without it:

Typical Computer Science entrants (A Level and IB)
[start]For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades 3xA* (81% of entrants). All took Mathematics, 96% took Further Mathematics, 85% took Physics and 59% took Computing.[/start]

I've not check Oxford, but suspect it is similar.

ah its okay, I didn't mention that I do do further maths a level 😉 thank you for the stats, they are very helpful
Reply 8
Original post by Uzrali
I'm a student at Oxford and got in with A*AA and 88887777777 so it's certainly possible as long as you perform well on the entrance exam and interview.

ooh, if you don't mind, what course do you do, and how did you prepare for the interview and entrance exam? thank you!
Reply 9
ooh, if you don't mind, what course do you do, and how did you prepare for the interview and entrance exam? thank you!

You are still doing your GCSEs right? I would really not worry about Oxbridge at this stage. Just focus on your GCSEs for now.
Reply 10
ah its okay, I didn't mention that I do do further maths a level 😉 thank you for the stats, they are very helpful

Assuming you are still doing GCSEs as per your other posts, how can you be doing Further Maths A-level?
hi guys!

and a levels:
a*a*a*

These grades are basically perfect for oxbridge. I applied to ox so I'm not 100% sure on Cambridge but oxford treat 8s and 9s the same so your 8 puts you at no disadvantage whatsoever.
Bro, why lie about your stats? 💀 You haven’t got 99999999998 yet nor have you got 4 (or 3) A*s predicted.

Even if you do get those GCSE grades, doing well at a level isn’t guaranteed. I got 97666666665 (pretty sh*t for Oxbridge) but A*A*A*A*A in my a levels (1x A* predicted). Equally, I know people that got much better GCSE grades than me who did **** in their A levels (in comparison to their GCSEs).
Original post by thrivingfrog
These grades are basically perfect for oxbridge. I applied to ox so I'm not 100% sure on Cambridge but oxford treat 8s and 9s the same so your 8 puts you at no disadvantage whatsoever.

I don't think that's true anymore. (and Cambridge don’t really care about GCSEs)
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by lanky_giraffe

I don't think that's true anymore.

I'm fairly sure it is but even if not, I got an offer with 9999988876 in my gcses so it still goes to show that you don't need all 9s
Original post by thrivingfrog
I'm fairly sure it is but even if not, I got an offer with 9999988876 in my gcses so it still goes to show that you don't need all 9s

I know, I know. But I believe recently Oxford change their admissions policy on grade 8s and 9s. But yes obviously Oxford don’t care that much about GCSEs compared to other parts of the application (and other parts of the application can make up for less Stellar gcse level results).
Reply 16

I'm a first year studying law, and mainly just practised past papers and reasoning skills out loud. There're a bunch of books on the relevant skills. It really depends on the subject you want to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest