The Student Room Group

Calculating Free Energy?

I know the formula: deltaG = deltaH - (T*deltaS)

The question I am attempting has a deltaH of 0.5kJ mol^-1

It has a deltaS of 1 J K^-1 mol^-1

And a temperature of 298K

So for this question I multiplied the deltaH value by 1000, to give me 500 J mol^-1 (are these units correct?)

Then did deltaG = 500 - 298(1) = 202

Firstly I need to know whether my answer for deltaG is correct and if so, what are the units of deltaG?
Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by _paul
I know the formula: deltaG = deltaH - (T*deltaS)

The question I am attempting has a deltaH of 0.5kJ mol^-1

It has a deltaS of 1 J K^-1 mol^-1

And a temperature of 298K

So for this question I multiplied the deltaH value by 1000, to give me 500 J mol^-1 (are these units correct?)

Then did deltaG = 500 - 298(1) = 202

Firstly I need to know whether my answer for deltaG is correct and if so, what are the units of deltaG?
Thanks for your help!

As far as I can see, your calculation appears correct. Units for Gibbs free energy are the same as for any other thermodynamic potential so you'd want Jmol-1 (though you could work this out by looking at the units of the quantities used in the calculation.
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
As far as I can see, your calculation appears correct. Units for Gibbs free energy are the same as for any other thermodynamic potential so you'd want Jmol-1 (though you could work this out by looking at the units of the quantities used in the calculation.

Ahh I see, I was guessing that I was working in J mol-1 for the free energy, would you advise leaving it in these units?

Also I am asked to calculate the temperature at which the reaction will spontaneously occur, therefore after rearranging I ended up with

T > deltaH / deltaS

I ended up with

T > 500/1

Therefore T > 500 Kelvin

Is this correct? Thankyou!
Reply 3
Original post by _paul
Ahh I see, I was guessing that I was working in J mol-1 for the free energy, would you advise leaving it in these units?

Also I am asked to calculate the temperature at which the reaction will spontaneously occur, therefore after rearranging I ended up with

T > deltaH / deltaS

I ended up with

T > 500/1

Therefore T > 500 Kelvin

Is this correct? Thankyou!

find the temperature where gibbs free energy is zero, so yup well T>=500K

Quick Reply

Latest