The Student Room Group

What is the "most difficult" degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by majmuh24
That was my point, it's pretty rare for someone to be good at both maths and english, and that's exactly why I think someone who can do both Maths and Philosophy must be really intelligent, the breadth of knowledge needed to do well in two contrasting subjects like that must be immense. Props to anyone who decides to take that course though :congrats:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a couple of people who have applied for that course, and I have to be honest with you, they're far better at maths than they are at Philosophy. However, I can understand where you are coming from. If they can handle both then it is deeply impressive.
What about 270? It's like a 90 angle, but rotated around a bit :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But 90 has the right angle.
Original post by Cyphrex
But 90 has the right angle.

Again. Put it in radians or don't bother posting at all :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were as clever as you seemed, you would have used radians instead. Degrees are for the weak :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

...but you asked a question about degrees :unimpressed:
Original post by yl95
Majmuh24, you sound like a smart person yourself.

Hm, I'd disagree on the joint honours thing.
I can personally attest to the bad handwriting issue!
Asian parents - don't get me started.

Thanks mate, although I'm not smart at all compared to some of the people on here :smile:

Fair enough, what would your opinion be?

Haha, at one point my teacher recommended I use a computer for my exams :pierre:

I know mate :s-smilie:

Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
I know a couple of people who have applied for that course, and I have to be honest with you, they're far better at maths than they are at Philosophy. However, I can understand where you are coming from. If they can handle both then it is deeply impressive.

Yeah, which is probably why they would choose maths as the main focus of their degree :tongue: I'm pretty interested in philosophy myself, but definitely not good enough to even consider touching it at degree level :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC
...but you asked a question about degrees :unimpressed:

The context that I used it in was education degrees, but when you're measuring angles, radians are the way to go :yy: They're just so much more useful, and the name sounds cool as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

On a side note, do you have bad handwriting? Most mathmos I know have terrible handwriting, including me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

o rly?
The context that I used it in was education degrees, but when you're measuring angles, radians are the way to go :yy: They're just so much more useful, and the name sounds cool as well

Doesn't have the same ring to it though."Turn 90 degrees" or "Turn about 1.57 radians"? I know who I'm backing :wink:
Thanks mate, although I'm not smart at all compared to some of the people on here :smile:

Haha, at one point my teacher recommended I use a computer for my exams :pierre:

Yeah, which is probably why they would choose maths as the main focus of their degree :tongue: I'm pretty interested in philosophy myself, but definitely not good enough to even consider touching it at degree level :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly, you have much enthusiasm and curiosity in mathematics particularly, especially for a 15 year old, from what I've observed. :smile: TSR is merely a cross section of the student population and naturally, there would be more people on the, should we say, smarter end of the spectrum than average.

Oh, I'd actually love to do that. My wpm is much faster than my writing speed, even though my writing speed is pretty quick as well. ;l

I'd see them as equal.

Which kind of Asian are you?
I would say maths, physics, medicine and philosophy. Also, where the individual studies makes a difference too, obviously Oxbridge degrees are considerably harder than ones offered by other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by yl95
Majmuh24, you sound like a smart person yourself.

Hm, I'd disagree on the joint honours thing.
I can personally attest to the bad handwriting issue!
Asian parents - don't get me started.

How come you disagree?
Bad handwriting and Asian here too :K: my parents are fairly chill though thankfully, except for some situations..

There seems to be an influx of us with these qualities :lol:
Original post by DJMayes
o rly?

I actually hate you now, damn you and your vector calculus :angry:

P.S. You write like a girl :holmes:

P.P.S I assume you voted for maths then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for Philosophy, so if you have any questions then feel free to ask!

One of the people I know studying it is without question the most talented mathematician in the school, and is hoping to explore Philosophy out of personal interest, I've been giving him some advice as to exploring certain themes, what to read etc.. He seems to be interested in the subject, but his arguments aren't as developed as his equations. If any Mathematicians/Philosophers are going to Warwick next year, then you'll probably spot him (Robbie242, I'm looking at you).

The other is very much a jack-of-all-trades in the two subjects. He's good at both and can get very high grades in both subjects, but he's not top-of-the-class. Yet. :wink:
Doesn't have the same ring to it though."Turn 90 degrees" or "Turn about 1.57 radians"? I know who I'm backing :wink:

Put it in terms of pi, decimal approximations of radians are just wrong :angry:

π2radians=90degrees\dfrac{ \pi}{2} \: radians = 90 \: degrees
(edited 10 years ago)

90 degrees is a PROPER angle.180, that's just ridiculous, it's not even an angle, it's just flat. Same with 0. Whereas 90... 90 just knows. It knows what an angle is and it knows how to become. 90, as a degree, IS the smartest.

I appreciate that 90 degrees is not obtuse, but it isn't really the smartest degree. It just isn't very acute at all.
Original post by TheBBQ
How come you disagree?
Bad handwriting and Asian here too :K: my parents are fairly chill though thankfully, except for some situations..

There seems to be an influx of us with these qualities :lol:

I just see them as equals, although I do admire Maths & Physics students for having to put up with Physics. (Evidently, I'm not a great fan of Physics. :l) I can't say for the comparative difficulties of the single honours and joint honours courses but I don't think either pales in comparison to the other.

My parents, chilled? Nah.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by DJMayes
o rly?

Haha, that's pretty damn neat for a mathmo. My handwriting generally deteriorates over the course of a problem sheet. Case in point:

Page 1: http://imageshack.com/a/img14/1983/4s74.png
Page 18: http://imageshack.com/a/img24/662/e22j.png
Original post by yl95
Certainly, you have much enthusiasm and curiosity in mathematics particularly, especially for a 15 year old, from what I've observed. :smile: TSR is merely a cross section of the student population and naturally, there would be more people on the, should we say, smarter end of the spectrum than average.

Oh, I'd actually love to do that. My wpm is much faster than my writing speed, even though my writing speed is pretty quick as well. ;l

I'd see them as equal.

Which kind of Asian are you?

It's just because I find maths interesting, I tend to read outside the subject and learn about other stuff that I find more interesting, not just the standard GCSE/ A level stuff but the real world applications :smile:

I think your teachers have to make a request, but I'm sure they'll let you if you ask them :smile:

I find the different skills needed and having both of them more impressive, but that's just my opinion :tongue:

The kind that's considered smart at school but has no common sense at all (I nearly got run over by a bus today :tongue:)
It's just because I find maths interesting, I tend to read outside the subject and learn about other stuff that I find more interesting, not just the standard GCSE/ A level stuff but the real world applications :smile:

I think your teachers have to make a request, but I'm sure they'll let you if you ask them :smile:

I find the different skills needed and having both of them more impressive, but that's just my opinion :tongue:

The kind that's considered smart at school but has no common sense at all (I nearly got run over by a bus today :tongue:)

I think a lot of mathmos probably have the skills to do a joint degree but I guess I'll find out at university.

Yes, GCSE/A Level is v.v. dull. I'm guessing you watch Numberphile? Watching calculators being unboxed is fun for some reason.

Haha, that's the case for me as well. What I did mean was what ethnicity?
Reply 99
Engineering - especially chemical :colone:

Basically engineers bring together maths, physics (some people will say only newtonian and i say to these people "nuclear reactor designs"), chemistry (if they are indeed chemical) and again if the engineering role calls for it biology (medical engineers need to know what happens to cell when certain wavelengths are given off if a machines operate by waves).

Like i said engineers are the smartest for having a subject that combines all the sciences and telling them all to play nice.

By the way there has been no bias in what i have said even though i want to be a said engineer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending