The Student Room Group

What subjects to take for modern languages in uni?

Hello
I’m doing my s6 choices this year and I’m stuck between doing Higher RMPS or modern studies (both are crash highers). I’m also doing crash higher history.
I’m planning on applying to do some sort of French course in uni with either linguistics but I’m not quite sure yet.
What would look good on my application or would either be nice ?
Thanks
Original post by Hulia…
Hello
I’m doing my s6 choices this year and I’m stuck between doing Higher RMPS or modern studies (both are crash highers). I’m also doing crash higher history.
I’m planning on applying to do some sort of French course in uni with either linguistics but I’m not quite sure yet.
Thanks

If you already studied a Higher language in S5, it would be a good idea to crash another language in S6 I found it really easy to pick up higher Spanish after doing higher French last year. Most uni’s don’t mind what subjects you study unless they specify certain subjects
Original post by consulting-cinde
Original post by Hulia…
Hello
Thanks

If you already studied a Higher language in S5, it would be a good idea to crash another language in S6 I found it really easy to pick up higher Spanish after doing higher French last year. Most uni’s don’t mind what subjects you study unless they specify certain subjects

hey ! did you find higher spanish difficult ? i’m taking adv h french and crashing h spanish but i’m worried about mixing up both of the languages constantly. did that happen to you ?
Original post by duplicate-cat

hey ! did you find higher spanish difficult ? i’m taking adv h french and crashing h spanish but i’m worried about mixing up both of the languages constantly. did that happen to you ?
Hi I’m in s6 and also doing advanced higher French and crashing higher Spanish at the same time. I don’t mix up Spanish and French when I’m doing French for some reason but when I’m doing a directed writing in Spanish, I sometimes find it hard to write inSpanish because I mix up the vocab between the languages and write words in French since I’m used to it. Are you doing these subjects at the moment orare you about to start them in S6 after exams?
(edited 2 months ago)

Hi I’m in s6 and also doing advanced higher Frenchand crashing higher Spanish at the same time. I don’tmix up Spanish and French when I’m doing Frenchfor some reason but when I’m doing a directedwriting in Spanish, I sometimes find it hard to write inSpanish because I mix up the vocab between thelanguages and write words in French since I’m usedto it. Are you doing these subjects at the moment orare you about to start them in S6 after exams?

i’ve just done my course choice yesterday so i’ll hopefully do them next year. thanks so much for your reply !! :smile:
Reply 5
Our school doesn’t have any other higher languages except for Gaelic :frown:
Original post by Hulia…
Our school doesn’t have any other higher languages except for Gaelic :frown:

i honestly think if you’re interested in gaelic you should take it ! it can help you understand what it’s like to learn another language (idk if that made sense lol) and it would also show your interest in languages !
Original post by duplicate-cat
Hi I’m in s6 and also doing advanced higher Frenchand crashing higher Spanish at the same time. I don’tmix up Spanish and French when I’m doing Frenchfor some reason but when I’m doing a directedwriting in Spanish, I sometimes find it hard to write inSpanish because I mix up the vocab between thelanguages and write words in French since I’m usedto it. Are you doing these subjects at the moment orare you about to start them in S6 after exams?

i’ve just done my course choice yesterday so i’ll hopefully do them next year. thanks so much for your reply !! :smile:Good luck! Btw this is not related but for AH French I would say that it’s good to start talking practice very early on since you can’t memorise most of it like Higher French. I have my talking exam in a few weeks and I’m not prepared at all lol but it does make higher Spanish feel easy compared to ah french because you already know the exam layout

i’ve just done my course choice yesterday so i’ll hopefully do them next year. thanks so much for your reply !! :smile:
Good luck! Btw this is not related but for AH French I would say that it’s good to start talking practice very early on since you can’t memorise most of it like Higher French. I have my talking exam in a few weeks and I’m not prepared at all lol but it does make higher Spanish feel easy compared to ah french because you already know the exam layout

thanks so much 🙌 i’ve heard it’s a 30 min convo with an external examiner 😱😱 but i’m sure you’ll do so well in your talking exam , good luck for april/may !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending