The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, imagine one of those old phones where you moved the circle round for each number. In a rush or emergency you could just drag it right to the end 3 times which was quick and easy. So really the format of the number is obsolete today, and it it does cause a lot of accidental calls as people hit the 9 button accidently and it registers 3 9's.

It is much much easier to remember than 911 or 112 (which also works, though little known) though imo:smile: I think the reason '112' has the '2' in it is to stop it being '111', which would be easy to misdial. Instead you could bumb the '1' but it qould be extremly unlikely for the 2 button to bump as well, all in the right order.

The easiest number has to be 123 though. Brings you straight to the speaking clock:biggrin:

Q: Who invented the speaking clock, when, and why??? I mean we all have clocks at home, why do we need a special number to tell us the time.
that "the time sponsored by Accurist is 12:20 and 14 seconds" guy is 123456
Reply 42
I think it existed in the days before computers so that people could ring up to fairly accurately set their clocks. Now everyone has the precise time on their computers, which they can use instead.
Reply 43
halfoflessthan50p
How do calculators work?

If someone could explain (just the simplest example) id be very interested and rep giving (rep power: about 3 btw :biggrin:)

The same way as a computer I think, except they use BCD (4 bits) rather than pure binary, and then more advance things like the trigonometric functions are from using algorithms like CORDIC built in.
Reply 44
Ok, why is it if I leave a glass of water out overnight, in the morning it has bubbles in it? I think this has something to do with atmospheric pressure at night ???

Ooh another one, I jsut cleaned my specs. How do they get the lenses into the frames?
musicalfruit
Because you ate it? :biggrin: Hope you're feeling better!

i am now thank you :smile:
Reply 46
Segat1
Ok, why is it if I leave a glass of water out overnight, in the morning it has bubbles in it? I think this has something to do with atmospheric pressure at night ???

Ooh another one, I jsut cleaned my specs. How do they get the lenses into the frames?

dont the frames go round the lens not the other way round? i mite be wrong though

why does my hair go frizzy in the sun and how do i stop it?
What does the Q stand for when someone says "Please mind your P's and Q's"
Pleases and Thank'Q's :biggrin:
Oh.
Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question, but it's bugging me now...

Does folding a piece of paper make it heavier? Not just folding it once, but lots of times.. like proper origami? Is that heavier than a flat sheet of paper?
Reply 51
musicalfruit
Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question, but it's bugging me now...

Does folding a piece of paper make it heavier? Not just folding it once, but lots of times.. like proper origami? Is that heavier than a flat sheet of paper?

Nope; it may be denser though.
Heaviness or weight is how large a force a body exerts towards the earth. (yeh! check that physics!! :p:)

It 'feels' heavier, it 'feels' like its pushing down on your hand more because its smaller and the force isnt spread across your whole hand. It exerts more pressure (force per area)
Reply 53
Is it true that if one simultaneously farts and sneezes they'll erupt, as in explode into smithereens?
Dimez
Is it true that if one simultaneously farts and sneezes they'll erupt, as in explode into smithereens?

LOL! Now that's something I'd pay to see :wink: Or would I..?

Latest

Trending

Trending