The Student Room Group

C3 increasing function

Hi, I differentiated a function, and my answer corresponds to the books. The gradient is 2sec22x(sin2x+1) 2sec^22x(sin2x + 1) .

It then asks me to show it's an increasing function, and the book states f is defined for π4<x<π4 \frac {-\pi}{4} <x< \frac {\pi}{4} .

When x=π4 \frac {-\pi}{4} , 2sec22x 2sec^22x is undefined as 2cos22x=20 \frac {2}{cos^22x} = \frac {2}{0} so as this is a multiple, isn't the whole gradient, at this value, undefined? Thus I'm not sure how to prove 2sec22x(sin2x+1)>0 2sec^22x(sin2x + 1) >0
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi, I differentiated a function, and my answer corresponds to the books. The gradient is 2sec22x(sin2x+1) 2sec^22x(sin2x + 1) .

It then asks me to show it's an increasing function, and the book states f is defined for π4<x<π4 \frac {-\pi}{4} <x< \frac {\pi}{4} .

When x=π4 \frac {-\pi}{4} , 2sec22x 2sec^22x is undefined as 2cos22x=20 \frac {2}{cos^22x} = \frac {2}{0} so as this is a multiple, isn't the whole gradient, at this value, undefined? Thus I'm not sure how to prove 2sec22x(sin2x+1)>0 2sec^22x(sin2x + 1) >0

You have strict inequality so x cannot equal -pi/4
Reply 2

Yes the whole gradient at that value is undefined - but that's OK because the function itself is undefined there.

Hint: to show that ab > 0, show that a>0 and b>0.
Reply 3
Original post by Smaug123
Yes the whole gradient at that value is undefined - but that's OK because the function itself is undefined there.

Hint: to show that ab > 0, show that a>0 and b>0.

Brianeverit & Smaug123 - thanks for the tips. Smaug123, when work out a>0 and b>0, do I put any values in?
Reply 4
Brianeverit & Smaug123 - thanks for the tips. Smaug123, when work out a>0 and b>0, do I put any values in?

You want to prove that the overall gradient is +ve.

You know that sec22xsec^2 {2x} is always positive because it's a square - the only exception being when it's 0 and you've just demonstrated that this can't happen in the range given.

So the only thing you have to worry about is making sure that that second factor is +ve in the range given :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
You want to prove that the overall gradient is +ve.

You know that sec22xsec^2 {2x} is always positive because it's a square - the only exception being when it's 0 and you've just demonstrated that this can't happen in the range given.

So the only thing you have to worry about is making sure that that second factor is +ve in the range given :smile:

Thanks Davros :biggrin:

I know within the range it will always be positive (within the brackets). But the reason I ask about the values is because I think I remember being shown a way to determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, without using values. Have I totally just fabricated this or is there a way?
Reply 6

I know within the range it will always be positive (within the brackets). But the reason I ask about the values is because I think I remember being shown a way to determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, without using values. Have I totally just fabricated this or is there a way?

That doesn't ring any bells with me, but that's not to say there aren't alternatives for specific functions :smile:
Reply 7

You might be thinking of finding the domain of an increasing/decreasing function.

Find dy/dx,

Then form an equality.
Reply 8
Liamnut, Davros, thanks guys :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest