The Student Room Group

C4 vectors question!

In the image attached, there are two vectors, t and l, which are perpendicular to one another. Vector l has the equation provided. The vector t, starting from the origin, meets the vector l at point C. Find the co-ordinates of C.

I absolutely hate vectors.
I have this information soup in my head containing stuff like scalar product, magnitude, etc. that somehow relate to vectors, but I don't have the slightest clue on what to do with this question.

I've taken the simultaneous equations route, equating the two vectors, but I ended up with about 8 unknowns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

img009.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by x0diak
In the image attached, there are two vectors, t and l, which are perpendicular to one another. Vector l has the equation provided. The vector t, starting from the origin, meets the vector l at point C. Find the co-ordinates of C.

I have this information soup in my head containing stuff like scalar product, magnitude, etc. that somehow relate to vectors, but I don't have the slightest clue on what to do with this question.

I've taken the simultaneous equations route, equating the two vectors, but I ended up with about 8 unknowns.

img009.jpg

You know that C lies on t so you can write OC using a parameter

Then you know OC is perpendicular to t so dot the direction vectors and you have 0
Original post by x0diak

img009.jpg

Dot product is 0 for perpendicular vectors. The point of intersection is also on the line I. Can you form some equations from that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest