The Student Room Group

Investment Banker/Actuary with Science Degree?

Ive heard that its possible to enter a career as an investment banker with a science degree. I enjoy science and am torn between biology and chemistry at uni (i do not like physics!). I was wondering which of the two degrees, biology or chemistry, would be the best for entering a career as an investment banker. If i did this would i be at a disadvantage to other people that had say maths degrees? Also what else is there that i could do to maximise my chances of working at an investment bank?
This is getting so boring. If you really had read the other threads, you wouldn't need to ask.

Would a Biologist or Chemist be at a disadvantage to someone who did Maths? For most positions, yes.
What can you do to maximise your chances? Get involved in uni life. Take on positions of responsibilty. Demonstrate an interest in finance. Have great e/c's.

Where might someone with a Chemist degree be useful to an IB? Maybe when it comes to the big pharmaceuticals.

The best advice I can give you is to start thinking for yourself and taking iniative.
Reply 2
Fugly, I'm sure you had these questions at one point!
Apart from that, fugly is pretty much right. If you wish to work in a more quantative position, then a Maths graduate would be generally preferred to a Bio/Chem graduate.
However, if you wish to work in M&A and the sort, then as much as I know, a Bio/Chem would be quite acceptable, especially if you were working on mergers/aquistions of pharmaceutical companies.
Chemistry is a good degree for IB as it's quantitative, I know students currently interning at Goldmans, Citi etc both in sales/trading and M&A; Biology not quite as popular.
Reply 4
BSc Chemical Engineering would be a very good degree but a BSc Mathematical Physics would be almost perfect.
Reply 5
Goodfella333
BSc Chemical Engineering would be a very good degree but a BSc Mathematical Physics would be almost perfect.

A BSc in chem eng should be avoided - it's a bad course, BEng means it has been accredited. Just in case you decide to do it.
Goodfella333

Perhaps you mean Mathematics and Applied Mathematics or Theoretical Physics?

To the op:
As far as I know, Mathematics, Physics, Economics would be the best. However, like Goodfella said, something like Chem Engineering would be great too, due to its strong quantitative element.
Reply 7
if ur interested in biology and chemistry, why dont you do biochemistry, which is quite quantative. maybe ur love for biochemistry will then enable u to folow a more fulfilling career path than just money grabbing careers:p:
Reply 8
fonzievision

To the op:
As far as I know, Mathematics, Physics, Economics would be the best. However, like Goodfella said, something like Chem Engineering would be great too, due to its strong quantitative element.

Perhaps he meant what he said. My friend graduated from mathematical physics at Nottingham and I know it is offered at Edinburgh, for instance.
coughsyrup
Perhaps he meant what he said. My friend graduated from mathematical physics at Nottingham and I know it is offered at Edinburgh, for instance.

Mathematical Physics is not offered at most top schools. There will obviously be the odd exception.
Reply 10
fonzievision

No i meant what i said, It is offered at three top universities,
Imperial (BSc Mathematics with Mathematical Physics)
Nottingham (BSc Mathematical Physics)
Edinburgh (MPhys Mathematical Physics)
fonzievision
Mathematical Physics is not offered at most top schools. There will obviously be the odd exception.
Either way it hardly matters. Its pretty obviously to anyone with any sense that mathematical physics is going to mean a degree with a large amount of maths and lots of uses of it in pratical situations.
Reply 12
Goodfella333
No i meant what i said, It is offered at three top universities,
Imperial (BSc Mathematics with Mathematical Physics)
Nottingham (BSc Mathematical Physics)
Edinburgh (MPhys Mathematical Physics)

You cant really say that the Imperial degree is the same as the others as it is run by the maths department at Imperial and not the physics department like the other degrees you mention.
Reply 13
Chemists are also rare; and don't forget - they're physical scientists, just like physicists. People often forget this.

FightNight: Check the Science forum for my two cents.
i had b.sc in human physiology and m.sc in medical biotechnology. but now i dont want to continue in this field and want to apply for sbi po and thence by MBA n CFA can i enter ito IB?
Reply 15
Original post by sraddha.d30
i had b.sc in human physiology and m.sc in medical biotechnology. but now i dont want to continue in this field and want to apply for sbi po and thence by MBA n CFA can i enter ito IB?

You are replying in a very old (2008) thread and the participants are unlikely to answer...

Your better bet is to read the stickies at the top of this Forum, and if necessary create your own thread to ask the question.

(Short answer: yes).

Latest

Trending

Trending