The Student Room Group

Help me choose my degree

I am completely in a multitude of worlds, not to long ago I had some sort of clear objective but now I am struggling to think about what I want to do. My main choices for degree are either Economics or Economics and Accounting. Is Economics and Accounting really that valuable of a degree (since not many unis offer it) or is it better to focus on either pure Economics or A&F. I am also open to other degrees!! I am doing Maths, Physics and Economics A Level with A*A*A* predicted. I would like to maybe get into finance, but NONE of the investment banking stuff (too stressful and such long hours). I would also like to own a business young as well. What are my best options, I have NO CLUE what degree I should take. I am willing to take ANY advice or helpful comments to put me in a better direction!
Original post by bens23
I am completely in a multitude of worlds, not to long ago I had some sort of clear objective but now I am struggling to think about what I want to do. My main choices for degree are either Economics or Economics and Accounting. Is Economics and Accounting really that valuable of a degree (since not many unis offer it) or is it better to focus on either pure Economics or A&F. I am also open to other degrees!! I am doing Maths, Physics and Economics A Level with A*A*A* predicted. I would like to maybe get into finance, but NONE of the investment banking stuff (too stressful and such long hours). I would also like to own a business young as well. What are my best options, I have NO CLUE what degree I should take. I am willing to take ANY advice or helpful comments to put me in a better direction!

You're right, you are in a multitude of worlds.

Is Economics and Accounting really that valuable of a degree (since not many unis offer it) or is it better to focus on either pure Economics or A&F
By what metric do you measure the value of a degree? Who says it's valuable? Why do you want to do a degree in accounting? I'm personally biased against accounting degrees, but they do come in useful if you intend to go into accounting research in academia.
An economics degree is often useful if you intend to become an economist.
If you intend to go into accounting, then you would only need A Levels (or equivalent). You can get a degree in any subject and still get into accounting purely because of the A Levels. If you did a degree in A&F, you would get exemptions towards professional accounting qualifications but they generally don't help you with getting into accounting that much.

I am also open to other degrees! I am doing Maths, Physics and Economics A Level with A*A*A* predicted
You're not making this easy then.
Maths would probably open the most doors, and alternative subjects include: maths, data science, software engineering, computer science
Along with physics, you also get: most of engineering, physics, geology, subjects where you are require 2 science A Levels (e.g. optometry, nutrition)
Economics is not a required subject
You can then go into a plethora of degrees that ask for A Levels in any subjects, including law, business, anthropology, most things arty, some geography, some history, most of psychology, etc. Let me know if you want the full list for these.

I would like to maybe get into finance, but NONE of the investment banking stuff (too stressful and such long hours)
Then you might need to be a lot more specific. Finance is not a small sector and there are a number of roles. A number of these roles would require a specific qualification for the role in order to comply with the regulations. On the upside, a number of these qualifications don't require prior qualifications i.e. you could have left school with no GCSEs and still got onto these qualifications. The qualifications where you're likely require a degree (or at least recommended having one) include roles in: actuary, CFA, and quants. If you don't want to go into investment banking, then actuary is probably the only role that you need to aware of should you want to do something related to finance that semi-requires a degree (you don't if you did the apprenticeship, but there's also the grad entry).
Other entry level qualifications in stockbrokering, insurance sales, financial advisory, mortgage advisory, etc. don't require prior qualifications. Most roles in banking also don't require any qualifications.
In terms of degrees you require to get into finance, you don't need anything specific. I have seen people get into finance (albeit in investment banking) with degrees in English Lit, history, geography, as well as the standard economics, maths, finance, physics, and engineering.

I would also like to own a business young as well.
Starting a business doesn't require any qualifications, unless it's in a highly regulated sector e.g. finance. If anything, I would recommend getting a business mentor more than a degree, but there are some out there e.g. MBA, management degrees. However, a degree alone won't guarantee you have the knowledge to set up a business; a mentor and a team of advisors/professionals will help though.
If you're really pushing it, then you're looking at the entry level qualifications within the accounting qualifications e.g. CIMA's BA Cert or junior levels in the ACA qualification. You can also take professional qualifications in marketing (CIM recommended), HR (CIPD), etc. which often don't require prior qualifications to do at Level 3. You can also look into business law, but it would be overkill to do a law qualification to start a business. Otherwise, you can read up on Business Studies at A Level or most business books in bookshops for the basic theory e.g. Personal MBA by Kauffman, 10 day MBA by Stringler.

So unless you're aiming to become an economist, in which case I would do an economics related degree (50% or more in economics) + master's in economics related subject (with PhD ideally in economics), then you can pretty much do any degree that you want.
If you have any aspirations to become an architect, engineer, barrister, psychologist, etc., then we need to be a bit more specific about the degree. Otherwise it depends on your own preferences.

Personally, if I had 3A*, then I would try to get into Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc. The connections you make there can help you with all of the above.
Hi there,

I would advise you to consider which course interests you more, which would you like to keep learning about and deepen your understanding of, which would offer you more jobs or a better career, consider your future employment options, which career path would you enjoy more, think what do you dislike about each course, which would you consider more mainstream, which one sparks your imagination for further reseach and study and would you like to do a Master's degree or doctorate in one of them.

I know it's a lot of questions and consideration as it is an important choice you will have to make. However, I hope it will help you make a decision. Some self-evaluation and reflection is always good ;-)

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie

LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending