The Student Room Group

How do bases neutralise acids if they are insoluble?

Just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me. Bases neutralise acids in the general equation of acid+base>salt+water. I understand that alkali's disassociate in water to produce OH ions which then combine with the acid H cation to form H20, but how would this work with a base?

If we add copper oxide to hydrochloric acid how is the water produced as its insoluble so no OH ions will be produced to combine with the H ions?

Only thing I could think of if that as its a displacement reaction reactivity could play a part when cations/anions recombine.

Please go easy on me even though this question has probably been asked a few times.
Original post by Tangmashi
Just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me. Bases neutralise acids in the general equation of acid+base>salt+water. I understand that alkali's disassociate in water to produce OH ions which then combine with the acid H cation to form H20, but how would this work with a base?

If we add copper oxide to hydrochloric acid how is the water produced as its insoluble so no OH ions will be produced to combine with the H ions?

Only thing I could think of if that as its a displacement reaction reactivity could play a part when cations/anions recombine.

Please go easy on me even though this question has probably been asked a few times.

The hydrogen ions from the acid are in solution and can collide with the oxide ions on the outside of the solid lattice, forming hydroxide ions that can then react with further hydrogen ions forming water.
Reply 2
Thank you for a straight answer Charco, it was hard to find one that didn't include interweaving of multiple theory's of neutralisation.
Reply 3
Thank you for a straight answer Charco, it was hard to find one that didn't include interweaving of multiple theory's of neutralisation.
Original post by Tangmashi

you can say that again ...

Quick Reply

Latest