The Student Room Group

Arithmeticae's Unofficial BL1HP Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaNick
Yeah I was bearing that in mind when I typed it. What in the adjustments is 'too advanced' for you?

clearly doesn't seem that way. everyone is more than capable of understanding that, just gets annoying when you put arrogance into it.
Reply 21
Original post by Arithmeticae
Yeah, I got that as well and was a bit annoyed that they didn't give any data :angry:

Better to just grit your teeth and put it down I guess :redface:

I initially put (New Zealand) next to the pyramid but crossed it out in case they thought I was being a smartass.
Reply 22
If you really want to go into detail, taking drugs means that your body builds tolerance to them which increases your dependence on them. Seriously, it was a 1 mark question and all it needed was "they experience withdrawal symptoms if they don't take them".

The specification isn't your handy-guide, things come up which aren't on it. There was evidence for both theories, but no way to prove it since they take a long time to observe.

As I said, you may be correct on a more advanced level. I'm not saying the spec is, but it uses the terminology that mark schemes are based on and the knowledge required. I'm not saying your answers are wrong but that OP has put what is explained in the specification, which is a guide to what you should know so it should still be right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA B1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
These are by no means the only correct answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

The Answers

6aii) is definitely morning sickness as well - it says so in all the revision guides

5biii) Could also be whether they have any health benefits as many legally prescribed drugs can cause harm in some humans (e.g. antidepressants can have harmful side effects)
Reply 24
If you really want to go into detail, taking drugs means that your body builds tolerance to them which increases your dependence on them. Seriously, it was a 1 mark question and all it needed was "they experience withdrawal symptoms if they don't take them".

The specification isn't your handy-guide, things come up which aren't on it. There was evidence for both theories, but no way to prove it since they take a long time to observe.

There wasn't really evidence for either theory, just that evolution did happen. That had been fairly well established and Darwin cleared up the evidence to make it pretty much undeniable. Both Darwin and Lamarck were initially just suggesting mechanisms for evolution to occur by, neither natural selection nor acquired characteristics had any real evidence when they came up with them. They were both possible explanations at the time but only because there was a total lack of evidence to decide between them.
Arrogance? What is more arrogant - making an 'unofficial markscheme' or correcting its mistakes? I could have made an unofficial markscheme for all of my exams with my memory but I don't want to because people blindly accept answers from people who put the dedication into creating it or simply because that user has bestowed a intellectual radiance in the past on the site.

im sure the mark scheme was made with the good intention of helping others and making them feel more confident. at least that's the affect it has had on me.

correcting answers is fine, nothing wrong but they could be done in a more subtle way
Reply 26
The specification doesn't have a single mention of why Newton's ideas were accepted - yet it came up in the P3 exam.

Yes, but that was fairly obvious was it not? It was even multiple choice because they knew that it was purely using logic and it shows that they didn't expect anyone to have specific knowledge as to why it was wrong, whereas this question was state 2 reasons because it's part of the course. The fact is the spec details the required answers to those questions and they did come up, however you have used more specific knowledge. Not wrong, but just means that you've gone beyond what is required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The specification doesn't have a single mention of why Newton's ideas were accepted - yet it came up in the P3 exam.

It was a tick box question, and IMO it comes under 'How Science Works'.

There is evidence now but that hadn't been discovered before, ie inherited factors knowledge / fossil records.

It asked about the 1800s.

To everyone that's arguing about unrelated stuff, please take it to messages. Thanks :smile:
Question 2 the 6 marker didn't ask for plants... It only asked for animals.
Original post by x-phoebe-x

It said 'For full marks, you should include both plants and animals.'
It said 'For full marks, you should include both plants and animals.'

LOL WHAT. Where did it say that? :confused:
Also why have people talked about adaptions to hot climates for the 6 marker? The question said dry conditions such as deserts. Just because they mentioned deserts doesn't mean talking about adaptions to heat is always relevant to dry conditions.

I might be wrong but that's how interpreted it.

Cheers for the mark scheme though
(edited 9 years ago)
Hence the past-tense tone I used...

So why are you insisting it's wrong then? :confused:
Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA B1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
These are by no means the only correct answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

The Answers

if everything on here is right i believe i have achieved 100% but i also added some more points to the big mark questions

Btw well done for piecing this together:beer:
(edited 9 years ago)
LOL WHAT. Where did it say that? :confused:

99% sure it said that on the last line of the questions :s-smilie:

Original post by Excuse Me!
Also why have people talked about adaptions to hot climates for the 6 marker? The question said dry conditions such as deserts. Just because they mentioned deserts doesn't mean talking about adaptions to heat is always relevant to dry conditions.

Just to squeeze in as much content as possible, I doubt they'll mark you down for it :tongue:
Because there was also evidence such as finches' beaks, skeletal similarities, etc. It just couldn't be proved because the processes take a long time.

There was evidence for evolution in general. There wasn't evidence distinguishing between Lamarck's theory and Darwin's theory.
Reply 36
There is evidence now but that hadn't been discovered before, ie inherited factors knowledge / fossil records.

That's what I'm saying, there wasn't evidence between them back then. They were both ways of explaining how evolution came about, it's like saying there were lights in the sky and me saying maybe a helicopter flew over and someone else saying it was aliens. We have pretty good proof that there were lights, we have pretty much no evidence for the explanation.

At the time, ideas about evolution had been brewing because they had part of the fossil record and some other stuff. Darwin suggested one mechanism for change, Lamarck suggested another one. Neither had any proof at the time, but Darwin's maybe sounds a bit more plausible. Later, genetics was discovered which gives Darwin a heckload of evidence for people passing down inherited factors (also, computer models running on the assumptions of natural selection are able to map out most current species, which is sort of like confirming a prediction...)

I'm not sure whether or not you're agreeing with me lol, but basically: Lamarck, evolution via acquired characteristics (no evidence then,disproved now) Darwin, evolution via natural selection (no evidence then, huge amounts now so that it's almost indisputable).

Just to squeeze in as much content as possible, I doubt they'll mark you down for it :tongue:

I sort of hope they ignore it, haha. I wrote about adaptions to heat before deciding it was irrelevant and crossing it all out.

I said:
Animals --> Sweat less and only produce small amounts of concentrated urine, store water with large surface area (e.g. camel has a large hump) and hunt at specific times suitable to them

Plants --> Extensive root systems to reach water deep and to maximise absorption, small leaf surface are to minimise water loss and guard cells to close stomata also to minimise water loss

No it didn't.
It said "List animals and plants which have adaptions to live in dry environments such as a desert" something like that. It definitely mentioned the fact that plants needed to be stated.
Do we get marks for mentioning how they survive in hot conditions (i also included dry)? It did mention a desert, its hot in a desert lol

Quick Reply

Latest