The Student Room Group

S1 Question

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=283055&d=1399575911

When working out the area of each bar in a histogram, would you use the class width as the width or the small unit squares as the width? Does it make a difference? I've seen it being used interchangeably.

For example, why in the example above are the class intervals used? Could he not use 1cm by 8cm, for the first block?

And when using class intervals, should you not be aware of whether there are gaps or not between the groups? Can the first bar have an interval of 3? And the second one 4 (1.5-4.5)?

Q5 in the link
Reply 1
I think the best example is Q5 from june 2012.
Use a normal square( 5 small units by 5 small units) as one unit. Count how many squares are filled up on the histogram, and divide by frequency to get a common number.
e.g. in this example, divide 450(frequency) by 22.5(number of squares filled in), to get 20. This tells me each square has
frequency 20.
From then on, use this to get the Frequency density(ie FD=F/CW).
Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by ps1265A
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=283055&d=1399575911

When working out the area of each bar in a histogram, would you use the class width as the width or the small unit squares as the width? Does it make a difference? I've seen it being used interchangeably.

For example, why in the example above are the class intervals used? Could he not use 1cm by 8cm, for the first block?

And when using class intervals, should you not be aware of whether there are gaps or not between the groups? Can the first bar have an interval of 3? And the second one 4 (1.5-4.5)?

Q5 in the link

That's question 8. :tongue:

Either should be fine. As long as you are aware that frequency is proportional to area.

As for the second point..there are no gaps between bars. Histograms are use for continuous data. The only time that you get a gap is when you have a zero frequency.
Reply 3
Original post by BabyMaths
That's question 8. :tongue:

Either should be fine. As long as you are aware that frequency is proportional to area.

As for the second point..there are no gaps between bars. Histograms are use for continuous data. The only time that you get a gap is when you have a zero frequency.

Thanks, really helpful!

I have seen grouped frequency tables for histograms with gaps, but as it's continuous, you'd add the class boundaries right?
Reply 4
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks, really helpful!

I have seen grouped frequency tables for histograms with gaps, but as it's continuous, you'd add the class boundaries right?

Can you give an example of what you are referring to here?
Reply 5
Can you give an example of what you are referring to here?

Q1

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxkd2X938vg
Reply 6
Original post by ps1265A
Q1

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxkd2X938vg

Yes, in this type of situation you need to work out what the boundaries are. You're more likely to be dealing with rounded continuous data than discrete data though.
Reply 7
Yes, in this type of situation you need to work out what the boundaries are. You're more likely to be dealing with rounded continuous data than discrete data though.

Haha, thanks! The paper went well!
Reply 8

Q3b
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=294201&d=1402404441

points lie close to a straight line, is this fine?

Quick Reply

Latest