The Student Room Group

FP2 MEI OCR Official Thread - 23rd June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
http://mei.org.uk/files/papers/fp210ju_irue.pdf
3a) ii) where it has evaluate M^2 bit, in the markscheme it just replaces M with 2, why?

M*s=lambda*s

The matrix is an eigenvector, so you just times it by the eigenvalue (in whatever proportion, whether it be just the value or the value squared, hence 2^2) :smile:
Reply 41
I know it's abit late, but anyone got any revision notes ( especially complex numbers and matrices)? Still don't fully understand complex numbers or matrices. Would be much appreciated. Thanks
Original post by Swarley1
I know it's abit late, but anyone got any revision notes ( especially complex numbers and matrices)? Still don't fully understand complex numbers or matrices. Would be much appreciated. Thanks

da
Say you know the matrix, eigenvalue and its corresponding eigenvectors, what does 'State the magnitudes and directions of the vectors M2v and M1v ' mean?
Reply 44
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
da

lifesaver
Original post by pujah0ntas
Say you know the matrix, eigenvalue and its corresponding eigenvectors, what does 'State the magnitudes and directions of the vectors M2v and M1v ' mean?

Is this from a past paper? :/
Original post by mathematigeek
Is this from a past paper? :/

Jan 2013
Q.3 part (iii)
Jan 2013
Q.3 part (iii)

This is the mei thread :/ either you got the wrong exam paper or the wrong thread. Jan 2013 on mei has nothing to do with that in 3 iii) sorry :/
Has anyone got any mark scheme notes? i.e. pointers on certain questions which tend to be repeated in past papers or any difficult questions that you may have encountered and are worth understanding their procedures.
Does anyone understand Q3)iii) in January 2011 well enough to explain it to me?

"State the magnitude of vector (M^n)*v", I just don't get it and these types of questions come up every once in a while. Thanks :smile:
This is the mei thread :/ either you got the wrong exam paper or the wrong thread. Jan 2013 on mei has nothing to do with that in 3 iii) sorry :/

She means the Jan 12 paper. :smile:

Original post by theCreator
Does anyone understand Q3)iii) in January 2011 well enough to explain it to me?

"State the magnitude of vector (M^n)*v", I just don't get it and these types of questions come up every once in a while. Thanks :smile:

Since v has magnitude 1 (unit vector) the magnitude of Mnv is simply the eigenvalue used to find the unit vector to the power n :smile:
Original post by Law-Hopeful

Oh I see, I thought I'd seen it before! Thanks :')
Since v has magnitude 1 (unit vector) the magnitude of Mnv is simply the eigenvalue used to find the unit vector to the power n :smile:

So can you use this same method to answer 3)iii) in January 2012 too?

Okay, so you know the unit vector is v, this has magnitude 1. You also know the eigen value is 5. This is now M since it satisfies the characteristics equation of M. So the magnitude of M2v is simply 1*52 so 25. The same method is applied to M-1v giving magnitude 0.2. Both are in the direction of v since the eigen value is a scalar quantity.

Hope this helps
Original post by theCreator
So can you use this same method to answer 3)iii) in January 2012 too?

Yep :smile: see post above ^^ :smile:
Are there any other questions which may be sort of tricky like the M^2v posted above?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rex Regum
Are there any other questions which may sort of tricky like the M^2v posted above?

I actually find finding eigen vectors the hardest part of fp2, does anyone know a way to check if you got them right in the exam?

And as for tricky questions, with matrices, the only other tricky part is finding general solutions? Idk :/ and then other tricky parts are C+jS (recognising the type of series) and I find complex roots quite tricky. Calculus and polar curves is all about technique. Hyperbolics are nice too so yea :/
I actually find finding eigen vectors the hardest part of fp2, does anyone know a way to check if you got them right in the exam?

And as for tricky questions, with matrices, the only other tricky part is finding general solutions? Idk :/ and then other tricky parts are C+jS (recognising the type of series) and I find complex roots quite tricky. Calculus and polar curves is all about technique. Hyperbolics are nice too so yea :/

I find the general solutions so confusing, I remember learning about a "sheaf of planes" and all that but I've never seen it come up.
Original post by Law-Hopeful

Oh ya that's the one, sorry guys :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending