The Student Room Group

Displacement Reactions

I'm a bit confused over what happens with ions and atoms etc in displacement reactions, it says:

'Explain displacement reactions in terms of oxidationand reduction:
• metal ion is reduced by gaining electrons
• metal atom is oxidised by losing electrons.'

I know what oxidation and reduction are and what they mean etc, but I don't understand what the text actually means, can anyone help? Thanks!
In a displacement reaction, a metal reacts with a metal compound. Take copper sulphate and iron. Copper sulphate is composed of copper ions and sulphate ions bonded by the attraction between their opposite charges. Pure iron is made up of iron atoms (sort of).

When iron displaces the copper to form iron sulphate and copper, the copper ions in the sulphate gain elections to become atoms, and together become pure copper. The iron atoms lose electrons, becoming ions, which are then attracted to the opposite charge of the sulphate irons, bonding to form iron sulphate.
Reply 2
Original post by MangoFreak
In a displacement reaction, a metal reacts with a metal compound. Take copper sulphate and iron. Copper sulphate is composed of copper ions and sulphate ions bonded by the attraction between their opposite charges. Pure iron is made up of iron atoms (sort of).

When iron displaces the copper to form iron sulphate and copper, the copper ions in the sulphate gain elections to become atoms, and together become pure copper. The iron atoms lose electrons, becoming ions, which are then attracted to the opposite charge of the sulphate irons, bonding to form iron sulphate.

Thanks so much, I completely understand now! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest