Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Magnesium will also displace copper from copper (II) sulphate solution.If an excess of magnesium is added to 100 cm3 of1.0 moldm-3 copper(II) sulphate, the temperature increases by 46.3 oC.
    a) Calculate the molar enthalpy change for the reaction

b) Calculate the minimum quantityof magnesium required to ensure it is in excess.

c) Calculate the temperature change if only 0.8g of magnesium is added.

So I got -1935.34 for a, which is wrong and i got completely wrong answers for b and c!!! Can someone explain how to work them out please?

Here are my working for a)
    q= mcΔT
    q= 100 x 4.18 x 46.3
    q= 19353.4 J
    q= 19.3534 KJ
    moles= conc x vol
    moles= 0.100 x 0.100 = 0.0100moles
    So enthalpy change = 19.3534/0.0100
    = -1935.34 kJmol-1

Can someone please tell we where I went wrong here with the calculation above?
    I'm not going to even bother showing my workings for b and c because they are completely wrong and I'm not certain how to work them out anyway (I had an 'educational' guess).

Any help would be greatly appreciated... + REP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    Magnesium will also displace copper from copper (II) sulphate solution.If an excess of magnesium is added to 100 cm3 of1.0 moldm-3 copper(II) sulphate, the temperature increases by 46.3 oC.

b) Calculate the minimum quantityof magnesium required to ensure it is in excess.

So I got -1935.34 for a, which is wrong and i got completely wrong answers for b and c!!! Can someone explain how to work them out please?

q= mcΔT
    q= 100 x 4.18 x 46.3
    q= 19353.4 J
    q= 19.3534 KJ
    moles= conc x vol
    = -1935.34 kJmol-1

I'm not going to even bother showing my workings for b and c because they are completely wrong and I'm not certain how to work them out anyway (I had an 'educational' guess).

In the question it says the solution is 100 cm^3 and 1 M so that would give 0.1 moles not 0.01

ReputationRep:

q= mcΔT
    q= 100 x 4.18 x 46.3
    q= 19353.4 J
    q= 19.3534 KJ
    moles= conc x vol
    = -1935.34 kJmol-1

All you did was misread the question! You used 0.1 moldm^-3 instead of 1.0 moldm^-3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    In the question it says the solution is 100 cm^3 and 1 M so that would give 0.1 moles not 0.01
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    All you did was misread the question! You used 0.1 moldm^-3 instead of 1.0 moldm^-3
    Oops, didn't realise, thank you! I hope I don't do this in the exam, because I always seem to end up misreading the questions *facepalm* :P

ReputationRep:
    Oops, didn't realise, thank you! I hope I don't do this in the exam, because I always seem to end up misreading the questions *facepalm* :P
    Stay calm and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    Stay calm and you will be fine
    Easier said than done, although I will try. I think I will need to read the question several times, just to make sure xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.