The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelegendkiller1
Maybe they wanted to humiliate China. Remember that to the Japanese Army, the Chinese were mongrels. What do you think of this by the way, as it is related in a way http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731?

I know about this and it is awful as well. It's hard when things are done for 'science' because in fairness so much progress was made by Nazi experiments. They should not happen again, however I feel it is wrong to discredit what was scientifically learned from these things, for the sake of the victims.
Original post by leedswest
I know about this and it is awful as well. It's hard when things are done for 'science' because in fairness so much progress was made by Nazi experiments. They should not happen again, however I feel it is wrong to discredit what was scientifically learned from these things, for the sake of the victims.

Oh anyone who suggests that the scientific learnings should be discredited because of the methods by which they were obtained (reprehensible as they may be) is a fool.
Original post by thelegendkiller1
The majority of those involved got off freely. And so did these people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731 So maybe the Hiroshima and Nagasaki were ruled as enough punishment for Japan? We need to be careful of judging past events with present eyes. I am not saying that makes them ok, simply that it was a more complicated situation that it first appears.

It's not complicated at all. Nanking and Unit 731 deaths totalled close to a million people using the most unimaginable methods, and for the most part the criminals got away with it. There are no two ways to look at it; there is no subjectivity or any need for delicate analysis. The worst parts of both events are the lack of repercussion and Japan's unapologetic stance.

If you have a strong stomach (and mind), read Iris Chang's account of Nanking.
Reading that just made me feel so ill and i can't believe so many humans can be capable of such awful acts. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.
war is war and there are no rules in war. Not that i agree with it but in those days civilisation wasn't as advanced and we all generally had less morals
Original post by maskofsanity
It's not complicated at all. Nanking and Unit 731 deaths totalled close to a million people using the most unimaginable methods, and for the most part the criminals got away with it. There are no two ways to look at it; there is no subjectivity or any need for delicate analysis. The worst parts of both events are the lack of repercussion and Japan's unapologetic stance.

If you have a strong stomach (and mind), read Iris Chang's account of Nanking.

I will make sure to read that account thank you. Maybe Japan is unapologetic because they know that China would try to take advantage of this stance and because China has killed up to 43 more times the amount of people who died in Nanking ans Unit 731?
Original post by matthewduncan
war is war and there are no rules in war. Not that i agree with it but in those days civilisation wasn't as advanced and we all generally had less morals

So would you say our civilisation is more advanced these days?
Original post by silentshadows
The 'killing contest' was probably one of the most horrific things I have read about.

Apparently those involved both surpassed the 100 mark, so at least their enthusiasm cannot be doubted.

Latest

Trending

Trending