The Student Room Group

Medicine

I've just finished my AS levels and looking to apply for Medicine with a foundation year as I took up Mathematics, Economics, Computing and Government and Politics.

I don't think I have done too well however, due to my dad having serious health problems starting just before my GCSE's and his health fluctuating until now. This lead to me having to work as there was nobody else working in the household.

In my GCSEs I received 3 As (Mathematics, Additional Mathematics and English Language), 4 Bs (English Literature, Religious Studies, Chemistry and Drama), 4 Cs (Biology, Physics, Technology, French) and a D in History. I think, assuming I did as bad as I think I did, I will be receiving BCCE in my AS results. I know I can turn this around for next year and earn 3 As at A2. This being said, if I were to apply for Medicine with a foundation year at Nottingham, Sheffield, East Anglia and Manchester (With my reasons for my results stated, a good PS, EPQ, work experience and other extra curricular activities);

1) Do you think I would get accepted?
2) Would I even get a high conditional offer?
3) Are there any other uni's with lower entry requirements that I might have a better chance with?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Your best chance would be to apply for a foundation year course. However, as I understand it, these courses are ultra competitive. Your alternative would be to study a degree in something relevant to your A levels and apply post-grad, but these courses are more competitive than undergrad and have recently been undergoing some pretty major changes.
Original post by EdwardNigma
I've just finished my AS levels and looking to apply for Medicine with a foundation year as I took up Mathematics, Economics, Computing and Government and Politics.

I don't think I have done too well however, due to my dad having serious health problems starting just before my GCSE's and his health fluctuating until now. This lead to me having to work as there was nobody else working in the household.

In my GCSEs I received 3 As (Mathematics, Additional Mathematics and English Language), 4 Bs (English Literature, Religious Studies, Chemistry and Drama), 4 Cs (Biology, Physics, Technology, French) and a D in History. I think, assuming I did as bad as I think I did, I will be receiving BCCE in my AS results. I know I can turn this around for next year and earn 3 As at A2. This being said, if I were to apply for Medicine with a foundation year at Nottingham, Sheffield, East Anglia and Manchester (With my reasons for my results stated, a good PS, EPQ, work experience and other extra curricular activities);

1) Do you think I would get accepted?
2) Would I even get a high conditional offer?
3) Are there any other uni's with lower entry requirements that I might have a better chance with?

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't really help that you haven't done any sciences AND underperformed. There are foundation courses especially designed for people that have good grades and done the wrong subjects and there are also foundation courses for those that have done sciences but haven't done as well b/c they come from disadvantaged backgrounds.. I don't really know if you fulfill the criteria for the foundation courses you have listed but if you do then apply ^_^

Southampton also has a foundation course, my friend got an offer for BBC or something along those lines ^_^
Kings also has a foundation course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending