The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
need a castleman really but i *think* that if oyu opt to share you're more likely to be in the actual castle
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I got the freshers pack today and it seems you can only choose to be single if you have a medical reason (with medical evidence.) It says 1/3 of freshers go into shared rooms, so I guess its all down to chance.
Reply 3
All the best rooms in the Castle go to finalists who get to choose them. Most freshers end up in moatside single rooms.Notoriously awful, but they aren't that bad, and I believe have been/are being refurbished to an extent.
Reply 4
didnt they refurbish them last year and loads castle people had to live miles away and get a lil bus to their meals? or is that happening this year?
Reply 5
Are the rooms (shared) literally just a room with two beds or is like a suite with 2 bedrooms?
Reply 6
room with two beds
Reply 7
I think I will end up murdering someone.
Reply 8
hahaha most people who share get used to it even enjoy it! so dont worry!

i never shared so there are things that im not quite sure how they work...
Reply 9
I don't like sharing, so I didn't:biggrin:

You can't have naked alone time if you share, that must a daunting prospect.
Reply 10
Well unfortunately I have all the cards for sharing - not only in castle - but despite my british passport, Durham has put me down as being an international student which I suppose means that they will want to pair me (the foreigner) up with a real british bloke to show me about the ins and outs of british life. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr.
TKR
didnt they refurbish them last year and loads castle people had to live miles away and get a lil bus to their meals? or is that happening this year?

I think that this was proposed, but that the students weren't happy, so the uni ended up paying more to get it done in a shorter time over summer. Not sure though.
Relaxis
Well unfortunately I have all the cards for sharing - not only in castle - but despite my british passport, Durham has put me down as being an international student which I suppose means that they will want to pair me (the foreigner) up with a real british bloke to show me about the ins and outs of british life. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hmmm, well, had you chosen Hatfield (:wink: ), you would almost certainly have had a room to yourself, as was the case with all international students in the year just gobne. The international students also arrived slightly earlier, and got their own extra freshers induction programme. I don't know if this is the case elsewhere, but hopefully for you, your choice of college won't have let you down :p:
Reply 13
Oh well I think I've found my bible if I do have to share -

http://mypage.direct.ca/h/honl/eroommat.html
Reply 14
so have they finished refurbishing those grotty little rooms then?! i remember the guy on my tour saying they'd be ready for this term but...
TKR

It happened last term. They made people live up at Butler and get the Nightbus down...
Are the rooms (shared) literally just a room with two beds or is like a suite with 2 bedrooms?

The thought of this actually made me laugh out loud. You think Durham University <sic> would actually fork out for something that wasn't totally pikey? Think again.
I think that this was proposed, but that the students weren't happy, so the uni ended up paying more to get it done in a shorter time over summer. Not sure though.

No, the Dean of Colleges (also master of Hatfield) said "the decision has been made" at the "consultation" meeting. It was a *****ing joke. They screwed our firstyears right royally. Again, do you think that they'd actually pay more? Estates and Buildings is couldn't organise a *****ing p*ss up if you put them in a store room full of Tennants extra and a dozen tramps.
Moatside is refurbished, and I believe the rooms may now be larger than prison cells (seriously, if moatside was a prison, it would have been shut down because the rooms were too small). If you do not share, you will not get a room in the castle. Full Stop. If you do share, you might get a room in the castle.

I'm not bitter.
Reply 17
TKR

They had to stay near as sub-standard hillfolk :biggrin:
Mattmoy_2000
The thought of this actually made me laugh out loud. You think Durham University <sic> would actually fork out for something that wasn't totally pikey? Think again.

No, the Dean of Colleges (also master of Hatfield) said "the decision has been made" at the "consultation" meeting. It was a *****ing joke. They screwed our firstyears right royally. Again, do you think that they'd actually pay more? Estates and Buildings is couldn't organise a *****ing p*ss up if you put them in a store room full of Tennants extra and a dozen tramps.
Moatside is refurbished, and I believe the rooms may now be larger than prison cells (seriously, if moatside was a prison, it would have been shut down because the rooms were too small). If you do not share, you will not get a room in the castle. Full Stop. If you do share, you might get a room in the castle.

I'm not bitter.

You don't have to tell me about estates and buildings! It's very easy to blame Tim Burt, what with him being a Hatfield man, but I guess if the rooms need improving, and as you said, they don't like paying extra, someone had to be put out at some point. Unless I have missed a better way there was of doing it?

(That question at the end is a genuine query, not a wind-up, as it may appear)
There was the two-summer option, which every single castleman supported (well, I don't know of any that didn't), but got turned down basically on grounds of convenience for the admin people. This year was the only year that there would be an entire accommodation block free (Butler) and so they decided to use the opportunity to do the work. I can see their thinking, but if this had happened to any other group of people paying for accommodation (like a hotel, or a conference or something) can you imagine the outrage? Students are paying customers too, yet they treat us like sheet because they know we're captive consumers.

Latest