The Student Room Group

C2 Geometric Series question

"A 'Supa-ball' is dropped from a height of 1 metre onto a level table. It always rises to a height equal to 0.9 of the height from which it is dropped. How far does it travel in total until it stops bouncing?"

I got confused on this question on what I should do, I knew that the first term had to be 1 and that the common ratio is 0.9 , but I didn't know what to do next. I though it might be the sum to infinity but that seemed ridiculous.

If anyone knows how to do it then can you show me :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Fruitbasket786
"A 'Supa-ball' is dropped from a height of 1 metre onto a level table. It always rises to a height equal to 0.9 of the height from which it is dropped. How far does it travel in total until it stops bouncing?"

I got confused on this question on what I should do, I knew that the first term had to be 1 and that the common ratio is 0.9 , but I didn't know what to do next. I though it might be the sum to infinity but that seemed ridiculous.

If anyone knows how to do it then can you show me :smile:

Distance = 1 (falling) + 0.9 (rising) + 0.9 (falling) + 0.9^2 (rising) + 0.9^2 (falling)+...

=1+2(.....................)
Original post by BabyMaths
Distance = 1 (falling) + 0.9 (rising) + 0.9 (falling) + 0.9^2 (rising) + 0.9^2 (falling)+...

=1+2(.....................)

I see, but how many terms will there be? Would I use the sum of infinity there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fruitbasket786
Would I use the sum to infinity?

Yes.
Original post by Mr M
Yes.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest