The Student Room Group

From Non-Target to Investment Banking (FO)?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to find out whether I'm wasting my time applying for Bulge Bracket / mid-tier investment banks coming from a non-target university (think 60-70 in the league tables)? I graduated in 2012 and the only thing that is applicable for someone like me are off-cycle internships. I need honest and genuine thoughts from you guys. So heres my background:

1) A-Levels: 3 B's (not great!)
2) BA (Hons) A+F (1st Class) and MSc A+F (Distinction), (both non-targets)
3) ECs: Captain of Football team, Part of the Investment Society etc.
4) 3 internships in boutiques, 1 in capital raising and 2 in M&A

I'd like to think that I've built a solid rapport with an MD in GS, met him once and been keeping in touch via email quite frequently. Arranged to meet him again early next year - hoping to approach this by expressing my intentions for an off-cycle in his division, will see how it goes.
How did you arrange those internships, out of interest?

I'm a first year also attempting to break into IB.

Semi-target, 1 summer internship, 1 sw offer, a lot of insights - profile
Original post by Anonynous
How did you arrange those internships, out of interest?

I'm a first year also attempting to break into IB.

Semi-target, 1 summer internship, 1 sw offer, a lot of insights - profile

Just find a list of boutiques, i.e. Arma Partners, Alegro Capital, Trillium Partners etc. and email the most senior person directly (e.g. the partners and/or MDs). Drop them an email saying something along the lines of:"I'm a first year student, I would be grateful if you could arrange a x-week placement for me so I could learn more about the industry, attached is my CV etc." Keep it short and casual, don't make it sound too formal, especially with smaller boutiques. Never email HR or recruitment unless you want to have your email ignored.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Original post by Graduate_1990
Just find a list of boutiques, i.e. Arma Partners, Alegro Capital, Trillium Partners etc. and email the most senior person directly (e.g. the partners and/or MDs). Drop them an email saying something along the lines of:"I'm a first year student, I would be grateful if you could arrange a x-week placement for me so I could learn more about the industry, attached is my CV etc." Keep it short and casual, don't make it sound too formal, especially with smaller boutiques. Never email HR or recruitment unless you want to have your email ignored.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Just how did you go about getting some of these emails?

It's not illegal if you don't get caught :colone:

If you mean email addresses, they're almost always on their website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending