iamspiderman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#1
--
0
reply
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#2
Report 6 years ago
#2
(Original post by iamspiderman)
Image

So far for question b)i) I've said that outside you are more prone to an electric shock as it may rain and the electrical appliances may get wet and if you're standing on a work platform such as a ladder or scaffolding them you could fall from the electric shock ..

I need some help , I need to relate it to the image in the question
Those are OK answers (especially the getting wet one) but it's not the whole story and what the question is primarily trying to get at.

The diagram gives a big hint in the wording: resistance comes up time and again and it's this parameter together with voltage that determines how much current will flow between the high voltage source (live mains voltage) and the lower 0V 'Earth' potential. Voltage x Current = Power and the more power there is, the greater the chance of both skin burns from high current flow and electrical shock affecting the natural electrical activity of the brain controlling the heart muscles (seizure), hand muscles which may tighten grip around a live cable etc. (A few tens of milliamps and around 50 V d.c. or 100V a.c. is enough to kill).

You need to know what that word 'Earth' (sometimes referred to as ground) means in electrical terms. i.e. it's the reference voltage potential for that domestic mains generated voltage and electrical-earth provides an infinite sink for current.

The earth wire in a domestic mains supply is literally a conductor rod driven several feet into the ground. It's where electric current naturally wants to flow to.

So the closer the gardener is to contact with 'earth' (i.e. outside) the less resistance there is for the path of the high voltage current to flow down into the earth. Via the gardener!

Hence rubber boots to insulate the gardener from the ground should he come into contact with a live conductor in a damp/moist/wet environment like outside. The boots are there to provide a very high resistance path to earth and hence little or no current will flow through him/her. Rubber boots have the same effect as the high resistance dry environment indoor floor covering.
0
reply
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#3
Report 6 years ago
#3
I can think of two things

1. likelihood of there being water around in bathrooms - possibly providing low resistance current paths to earth
2. exposed earthed metalwork - taps, metal bathtubs etc.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (54)
20.15%
Virtual accommodation tour (36)
13.43%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (12)
4.48%
Video content about the local area (2)
0.75%
Webinars with lecturers (9)
3.36%
Taster lectures or seminars (61)
22.76%
Speak to current students studying my course (59)
22.01%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (11)
4.1%
Fun online activities or experiences (9)
3.36%
Connecting with careers services or employers (7)
2.61%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (3)
1.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
1.87%

Watched Threads

View All