The Student Room Group

Type of bonding in Ligands?

how do you know which type of bond occurs between a central atom and the ligands? Like for example what type of bonding occurs between Ni2+ and CN- , is it ionic? and between CrCl4- ?

I don't know if my question made much sense but thanks a lot for any help :smile:
They form dative covalent bonds as the ligands will have lone pairs that they 'donate' to the central ion to form the bond :smile:
Original post by hadukilami
how do you know which type of bond occurs between a central atom and the ligands? Like for example what type of bonding occurs between Ni2+ and CN- , is it ionic? and between CrCl4- ?

I don't know if my question made much sense but thanks a lot for any help :smile:

I've only just started this unit but I thought it's always a dative bond?
Original post by Chlorophile
I've only just started this unit but I thought it's always a dative bond?

For the sake of this level yes, the point comes where the formalisms of ionic, covalent, dative covalent etc. sort of start to break down because very few things can be described as being completely one of those things (diamond for example is a rare example of truly covenant bonding but pretty much everything else has a degree of ionic character too).
Original post by hadukilami

As far as A-level is concerned... Dative covalent bonding. As far as real chemistry is concerned... Well dative bonding is a load of rubbish, it's all just covalent bonding. Really all bonding is covalent with differing contributions from 'ionic' bonding depending upon the level of charge separation.

Quick Reply

Latest