The Student Room Group

The Current Year 9 Thread (2014-2015) Mark I

Hello :wavey: Welcome to The Current Year 9 Thread 2014-2015!

So, I've noticed that there have been quite a few Year 9s in the GCSE forum recently and thought I would make a thread for y'all so that you can talk to each other and discuss your options :h:

Ice Breaker Questions:
- Introduce yourself!
- How are you finding Year 9?
- What are you thinking of choosing for GCSE?
- How do you feel about starting GCSEs?
- What are your hobbies + Interests?

Meet the Year 9s

10 My advice to Year 9s for GCSE/Year

UsefulNew GCSE Changes Explained
GCSE forum (place for any questions, discussions you want to start etc)
Study Help - if you ever need help on a particular subject
Advice for upcoming Year 10's and Year 11's
Current Year 10s,what advice do you have for people moving up?

If you think there is something that should be added to this list then let me know :smile:

Quotes (these are some of the Year 9s that I've seen around on the GCSE forum, if you're in Year 9 then let me know and I'll add you onto the list :yep:)

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by black rose
hello :wavey: welcome to the current year 9 thread of 2014-15!

So, i've noticed that there have been quite a few year 9s in the gcse forum recently and thought i would make a thread for y'all so that you can talk to each other and discuss your options :h

ice breaker questions

useful links:
new gcse changes explained
gcse forum (place for any questions, discussions you want to start etc)
study help - if you ever need help on a particular subject

if you think there is something that should be added to this list then let me know :smile:

quotes (these are some of the year 9s that i've seen around on the gcse forum, if you're in year 9 then let me know and i'll add you onto the list :yep:)

Spoiler

dont take business
Gogo make Cambridge 2020 hopefuls thread alongside this one :biggrin:
i'm year 10 not year 9 :smile:
Hi Y9s! :hi: I'm in Y10 but I can help with Option queries etc.! :tongue:

Original post by Black Rose
Hello :wavey: Welcome to The Current Year 9 thread of 2014-15!

Aww! :tongue:

Mr...
x

^ Look! :mmm:

emilytjones
x

Hi! :tongue: If you're in Y10 you might want to take a look at the Y10 thread here-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2936641

:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...

I'm in Y10 and can help with any questions you may have :yep:

Lol vice versa, I'm in sixth.
Original post by Placeboo123
Gogo make Cambridge 2020 hopefuls thread alongside this one :biggrin:

I almost choked when I saw this. Oh my goodness... :rofl:

Original post by Mr...
Look at all da babies:tongue:

Please. You're not even a year older than a lot of them. :rolleyes::tongue:

Aww. Innocent, little Mr... :console:

:mmm:
Original post by karmacrunch
I almost choked when I saw this. Oh my goodness... :rofl:

Please. You're not even a year older than a lot of them. :rolleyes::tongue:

Aww. Innocent, little Mr... :console:

:mmm:

Yeah he wanted to help me with applying to Cambridge xD
Okay. I'm going to stop posting on this thread now before I scare some Y9s away! :tongue: Quote me if you need anything! :biggrin:
Original post by Mr...
What subjects do you do :redface:

Maths, Further maths, Additional further maths and maths related EPQ.
Original post by Mr...
You're not serious right?:lolwut:

Why not? they're all respected subjects.
Original post by Mr...
It's just so Math. I have many wow :yep:

Original post by Mr...
It's just so Math.

Original post by Mr...
Math.

Original post by Mr...
Math.

Original post by Mr...
Math.

Original post by Mr...
Math.

You didn't...
Original post by Mr...
What? :erm:

MATH! You Americ*n(t)
Haha just kidding ^^
So what are you going to be taking then?
Reply 13
No year 9's on the year 9 thread :sad:
Hello year 9s :wavey:
I'm a Community Assistant in the secondary and FE forums, which generally translates to GCSE and A Level, but I do get to look after you guys too :woo: I'll be hanging around here if anyone wants to chat, and if anyone has any problems (either school or TSR) then let me know :h: I'll be making sure you all stick to the rules too :lol:
Hi, I am in Year 9. My choices so far are French, Geography and History. I have a reserve subject which is Business Studies. People say it is easy, I want to know from someone who has already done Business Studies for them to tell me their experience. Also History is apparently 'challenging' so I want to know from someone who has done History and same again I want to know if it is as challenging as people say it is.

We are the first year to be doing the new GCSE's coming in 2017, I need as much information as possible to help me get through this. I have heard that they are going to be harder than the current GCSE's graded differently and etc.

It is planned I do at least 11 GCSE's, my school are deciding to give me an extra one to do because of the set I am in for Maths we are doing really well so they are considering giving us a chance to do the additional qualification... which means it could change to 12 GCSE's. So I guess now you know why I need this information. :tongue:
I'm deciding between Business Studies and Computing for my last option, whoever has done it tell me what the coursework is like, exams ,lessons whether the stuff you do is good, etc.

Original post by Placeboo123
Why not? they're all respected subjects.

Completely off topic but anyway

Does your username happen to come from the band, or was it just a cool sounding word......
Original post by AryanGh
I'm deciding between Business Studies and Computing for my last option, whoever has done it tell me what the coursework is like, exams ,lessons whether the stuff you do is good, etc.

Hmm... Well I have some friends who do those subjects but neither do both! + They both seem to enjoy them too. :tongue: I can ask for you? ^_^

Why are you thinking of those two for your last option? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMackyTv
Hi, I am in Year 9. My choices so far are French, Geography and History. I have a reserve subject which is Business Studies. People say it is easy, I want to know from someone who has already done Business Studies for them to tell me their experience. Also History is apparently 'challenging' so I want to know from someone who has done History and same again I want to know if it is as challenging as people say it is.

We are the first year to be doing the new GCSE's coming in 2017, I need as much information as possible to help me get through this. I have heard that they are going to be harder than the current GCSE's graded differently and etc.

It is planned I do at least 11 GCSE's, my school are deciding to give me an extra one to do because of the set I am in for Maths we are doing really well so they are considering giving us a chance to do the additional qualification... which means it could change to 12 GCSE's. So I guess now you know why I need this information. :tongue:

Know what exam board you're doing for history and business? I take both (OCR history, AQA business) so if you're not doing that this may be different. Anyway.

History:
How challenging it is depends on how much you like to write. If you enjoy essays and English etc, you should be fine with history. Once you get your head around the way to answer questions it's relatively simple and then just down to memorising important information. I really enjoy it, most of the topics are very interesting... Although British Depth Study I found pretty tedious (although it's my best of the two papers, somehow).
In terms of how challenging homework is, it really depends what your teacher is like. In year 10 our homework was pretty standard, but year 11 we were set past exam questions, often writing 4/5 pages for homework... Unfortunately, there is quite a lot of writing to do.

Business:
My best subject, yay. To be honest, it is quite simple, although the exam technique is pretty difficult I find. In year 10 when you do unit one (small businesses) it is pretty basic stuff. Although year 11 is much more difficult, which is nice (focusing on large/growing businesses). Like history though, long questions are key in business. 9 mark questions will become the bane of your life. We do about one a lesson, they are painful to do, and really difficult to get full marks on. I'm probably making it sound like a really crappy subject but I find it pretty enjoyable :smile:

(edit: Coursework I found pretty interesting again. In terms of writing, I think I did 4000 words... Or might have been 5000, can't remember. So there's a fair bit to do. Despite this most of our class managed at least 30/40 (myself doing 38/40... Hella yeah) so generally you should be looking at a good grade. Our topic was to evaluate the customer service of a chosen business and suggest improvements.)

Any questions, shoot :cool:

EDIT:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Latest