The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Geography- Anyone else finding it hard?

I'm in year 12 and have mocks coming up and currently at a D, its very different to my other subjects (chem and bio) im not sure what info i need to learn for case studies as its so broad, with chem and bio i have a lot of online resources beyond the textbook but for geography there seems to be none. Generally struggle to know when to use what info for 6 and 9 markers, anyone have any revision suggestions or resources? Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Original post by emilieh78911
I'm in year 12 and have mocks coming up and currently at a D, its very different to my other subjects (chem and bio) im not sure what info i need to learn for case studies as its so broad, with chem and bio i have a lot of online resources beyond the textbook but for geography there seems to be none. Generally struggle to know when to use what info for 6 and 9 markers, anyone have any revision suggestions or resources? Thanks!!!

I was in the same position as you last year, now I am on an A in geography. Firstly I would aim to maximise marks on your NEA, as it relieves some of the pressure in the exam knowing you already have a portion of the marks-(I got 50/60 in my NEA so let me know if I can help). Secondly, if you don't already get the Hodder A-Level Geography textbook 5th edition- it's AQA certified and directly follows the specification. For 6-mark A03 questions follow the PEDAL structure, if you are unfamiliar with it let me know. Also, spend the summer of y12 or Christmas time going over content, remembering case studies and any other facts you may need, so then till your exams you can just focus on timing and technique

For 6 mark A01 + A02 questions follow this structure:
If the question was -Using Figure 2a, Figure 2b and your own knowledge, assess the potential impact of changing vegetation cover upon the runoff in this area.- from the 2019 W&C section

1) Write 2 detailed sentences that refer to the question but are not about the figure- instead of talking about changing vegetation, explain how either human intervention/climate or other factors can affect the runoff in the area (A01 marks)
2) Now, answer the question and use the figure to explain how changing vegetation cover can affect runoff. Then explain how the other factor you didn't mention in your A01 section affects runoff.
3) finally, write a brief conclusion as the question is an 'assess' question.

For 9 markers, it's like a mini 20 marker- BUT- you don't need to write an introduction. Just go straight into the question and use A01, which in this case refers to the knowledge of the area such as the physical factors and the impact of cc/ human intervention. To get A02 markers, answer the question and incorporate the temporal and spatial scale, just like you would in a 20 marker.

Hope this helps and do reply if there is any topic or technique you need help with!
Reply 2
Original post by ds1405
I was in the same position as you last year, now I am on an A in geography. Firstly I would aim to maximise marks on your NEA, as it relieves some of the pressure in the exam knowing you already have a portion of the marks-(I got 50/60 in my NEA so let me know if I can help). Secondly, if you don't already get the Hodder A-Level Geography textbook 5th edition- it's AQA certified and directly follows the specification. For 6-mark A03 questions follow the PEDAL structure, if you are unfamiliar with it let me know. Also, spend the summer of y12 or Christmas time going over content, remembering case studies and any other facts you may need, so then till your exams you can just focus on timing and technique

For 6 mark A01 + A02 questions follow this structure:
If the question was -Using Figure 2a, Figure 2b and your own knowledge, assess the potential impact of changing vegetation cover upon the runoff in this area.- from the 2019 W&C section

1) Write 2 detailed sentences that refer to the question but are not about the figure- instead of talking about changing vegetation, explain how either human intervention/climate or other factors can affect the runoff in the area (A01 marks)
2) Now, answer the question and use the figure to explain how changing vegetation cover can affect runoff. Then explain how the other factor you didn't mention in your A01 section affects runoff.
3) finally, write a brief conclusion as the question is an 'assess' question.

For 9 markers, it's like a mini 20 marker- BUT- you don't need to write an introduction. Just go straight into the question and use A01, which in this case refers to the knowledge of the area such as the physical factors and the impact of cc/ human intervention. To get A02 markers, answer the question and incorporate the temporal and spatial scale, just like you would in a 20 marker.

Hope this helps and do reply if there is any topic or technique you need help with!

omg thank u so much ur a life saver!!! i’m not too sure what PEDAL is 😭 i’m assuming it’s similar to like point evidence explanation? i’ve been mainly struggling with carbon and water cycle and it’s taking up a lot of my time just like understanding the processes and knowing when to use what info, for example u know for the water cycle it says ‘changes in the magnitude of stores’ and then ‘changes in the water cycle’ it’s super similar like the reasons why and i’m like not sure when to use what 😭 but yeh just generally the water and carbon cycle is giving me grief, so if you have any tips on that. Also could you expand on what temporal and spatial scale mean?? i’m not sure if you did changing places but for my case studies i’m doing detroit and stratford, do you have any tips on what is good information to include? i haven’t started my NEA yet but when i do is it alr if i maybe message u for any tips?! again thank u so so much for ur kindness. just adding one more thing sorry for asking sm Qs 😭 but did you only use the hodder fifth edition textbook for ur revision ?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
omg thank u so much ur a life saver!!! i’m not too sure what PEDAL is 😭 i’m assuming it’s similar to like point evidence explanation? i’ve been mainly struggling with carbon and water cycle and it’s taking up a lot of my time just like understanding the processes and knowing when to use what info, for example u know for the water cycle it says ‘changes in the magnitude of stores’ and then ‘changes in the water cycle’ it’s super similar like the reasons why and i’m like not sure when to use what 😭 but yeh just generally the water and carbon cycle is giving me grief, so if you have any tips on that. Also could you expand on what temporal and spatial scale mean?? i’m not sure if you did changing places but for my case studies i’m doing detroit and stratford, do you have any tips on what is good information to include? i haven’t started my NEA yet but when i do is it alr if i maybe message u for any tips?! again thank u so so much for ur kindness. just adding one more thing sorry for asking sm Qs 😭 but did you only use the hodder fifth edition textbook for ur revision ?

haha no worries!

PEDAL is( Pattern, Evidence, Data manipulation, Anomaly, Link) usually for physical i do one whole pedal and for human, I do 2.

For the water & carbon cycle, here is a quizlet link for the spec- there are some other sets in there too (https://quizlet.com/gb/759776613/a-level-geography-water-and-carbon-flash-cards/?funnelUUID=ff297752-fd50-4ad3-8e6e-88684102066e)

for your 20 markers but also some 9 markers scale can be used to get A01 marks - temporal scale is over time (current and future-mainly to do with the impacts of climate change) while spatial scale is to do with local/global threats, challenges and the mitigaiton strategies within them. So for local cc mitigation its things like renewables and reducing the consumption of red meat, while global is Paris 2015, COP 27 and CCS

I also did changing places and did Detroit and Brixton. I generally never used Detroit as the examiners never know what your 'near' and 'far' places are, but in the same profile on quizlet you can find facts about Detroit.

I'd be happy to help with your NEA too!

And i used Hodder mainly for my revision but also used the Cambridge textbook too. I didnt really like the CGP book, as it was very condesed and often lacked information
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ds1405
haha no worries!

PEDAL is( Pattern, Evidence, Data manipulation, Anomaly, Link) usually for physical i do one whole pedal and for human, I do 2.

For the water & carbon cycle, here is a quizlet link for the spec- there are some other sets in there too (https://quizlet.com/gb/759776613/a-level-geography-water-and-carbon-flash-cards/?funnelUUID=ff297752-fd50-4ad3-8e6e-88684102066e)

for your 20 markers but also some 9 markers scale can be used to get A01 marks - temporal scale is over time (current and future-mainly to do with the impacts of climate change) while spatial scale is to do with local/global threats, challenges and the mitigaiton strategies within them. So for local cc mitigation its things like renewables and reducing the consumption of red meat, while global is Paris 2015, COP 27 and CCS

I also did changing places and did Detroit and Brixton. I generally never used Detroit as the examiners never know what your 'near' and 'far' places are, but in the same profile on quizlet you can find facts about Detroit.

I'd be happy to help with your NEA too!

And i used Hodder mainly for my revision but also used the Cambridge textbook too. I didnt really like the CGP book, as it was very condesed and often lacked information

Hiya, thanks sm for your help back then, im currently doing my NEA and im doing a human topic im not sure if you did a human or physical but im struggling a bit with it, do you think you could give me any tips?? im doing how a proposed housing development will bring both pos and neg impacts and the sub questions are how local services will be impacted such ad doctors, dentists and schools, environmental l impacts focusing on traffic and then finally perspective of locals. Im unsure on how to collect data for possible environmental impacts as the housing plan hasn't started yet so its all theoretical if that makes sense?
Reply 5
Hiya, thanks sm for your help back then, im currently doing my NEA and im doing a human topic im not sure if you did a human or physical but im struggling a bit with it, do you think you could give me any tips?? im doing how a proposed housing development will bring both pos and neg impacts and the sub questions are how local services will be impacted such ad doctors, dentists and schools, environmental l impacts focusing on traffic and then finally perspective of locals. Im unsure on how to collect data for possible environmental impacts as the housing plan hasn't started yet so its all theoretical if that makes sense?

Hi for my NEA i did a more human approach- talking about the differences in socio and economic factors in an area. I got 49/60 so i can send you mine if you like.

For my NEA it set it out like this;

Introduction (Why i chose my topic, Aims of the project, how the title links to the specification content, sub questions and the rationale behind them and locational context)

Methodology (risk assesment, method of data collection-> aimed to have 4/5 data points for each sub question)
Data Presentation and Analysis (use a range of data presentations, especially ARC GICs)
Evaluation
Conclusion

Bibliography
Appendix

There was also some YT videos that i found helpful in first using my structure- https://www.youtube.com/@jonbriggs7844 and any others you can find.

As your NEA is mostly theoretical i would adivse agasint that as the data collection can be hard, for both primary and secondary collection.
If you can change it i would recconment doing something thats already established such as a recent housing development/ other infrastrucutre and then analyse the impacts that you said
Reply 6
Original post by ds1405
Hi for my NEA i did a more human approach- talking about the differences in socio and economic factors in an area. I got 49/60 so i can send you mine if you like.

For my NEA it set it out like this;

Introduction (Why i chose my topic, Aims of the project, how the title links to the specification content, sub questions and the rationale behind them and locational context)

Methodology (risk assesment, method of data collection-> aimed to have 4/5 data points for each sub question)
Data Presentation and Analysis (use a range of data presentations, especially ARC GICs)
Evaluation
Conclusion

Bibliography
Appendix

There was also some YT videos that i found helpful in first using my structure- https://www.youtube.com/@jonbriggs7844 and any others you can find.

As your NEA is mostly theoretical i would adivse agasint that as the data collection can be hard, for both primary and secondary collection.
If you can change it i would recconment doing something thats already established such as a recent housing development/ other infrastrucutre and then analyse the impacts that you said

thanks so much this is really helpful, if you don't mind sending me yours that would be really great, thanks again so much !!! do i need to send you my email or can you send it through here??
Reply 7
thanks so much this is really helpful, if you don't mind sending me yours that would be really great, thanks again so much !!! do i need to send you my email or can you send it through here??

email is good
Reply 8
Original post by ds1405
email is good

tysm! its @[email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending