The Student Room Group

Bye bye, Bible: Christianity should not be mandatory

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
placing the Word of God on an undergraduate's bed is the most marvellous kindness the University of Aberystwyth could offer.

I wouldn't go that far but it seems rather a nice tradition and, what's in itself rather nice, the rather nice maintaining of a rather nice tradition.

'I went to remote West Wales for the diversity and the bastards put a bible on my bed.'
Original post by cambio wechsel
I wouldn't go that far but it seems rather a nice tradition and, what's in itself rather nice, the rather nice maintaining of a rather nice tradition.

'I went to remote West Wales for the diversity and the bastards put a bible on my bed.'

it was either that or a sheep :colondollar:
Original post by the bear
it was either that or a sheep :colondollar:

what about a Viscount biscuit?

th.jpg
Original post by cambio wechsel
what about a Viscount biscuit?

th.jpg

that would be deeply offensive to the Republican community. Viscounts are an anachronism in today's world.
Original post by Rooster523
I never said it did. My original point was that the God Delusion is a poor philosophy/theology book; it's akin to a creationist writing a book on biology. Dawkins is a fantastic biologist but a woeful philosopher.

I've not been arguing for religion, nor against atheism- I've just been saying that the God Delusion isn't a very good book.

Or you just don't understand it.
Original post by SarcasticMel

I'm a strong atheist and opponent of religion and I agree with him. The philosophy in the God Delusion is poor and he often misrepresents the arguments of his opponents (like Thomas Aquinas for example). The discussion of evolution and scientific issues is great but Dawkins has better books on those subjects.

I prefer Hitchens myself even though he certainly isn't perfect.
Original post by SarcasticMel

No, I understand it perfectly well.

Dawkins misrepresents arguments, contradicts himself and, with the central argument of the book, if you accept all 6 premises of his argument, it does not logically follow that God does not exist.

The God Delusion is akin to taking the term 'natural selection' applying your own meaning to it, writing a book disproving your version of natural selection, ignoring anybody who tried to tell you what scientists really mean when they say natural selection and loudly trumpeting you've disproved natural selection.

If you think that the conclusion of Dawkins' main argument is logically infallible, you're a victim of belief bias: the tendency to judge the strength of arguments based on the plausibility of their conclusion rather than how strongly they support that conclusion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I personally think it's a waste of printing costs and paper to put a Bible on everyone's bed. Lord knows that with all the non-Christian students, they probably get used as doorstops at the very best and are maybe even desecrated at the very worst.

If this were happening at my uni, I would vote against the practice, even though I am Catholic myself. I don't think it's right to just shove Bibles onto people who don't want them and might take offense or, as the article highlights, be made to feel that they're the odd one out in some way :nope:

You just got bonus points for that post. If you get 100 points, you get a chance to save my soul over a talk at a cafe. :biggrin:
There is zero empirical evidence to suggest that such a model will be developed in physics. I'm not saying for a second that it will never, I'm saying that believing that one day it will IS faith. Just because other areas of science have such explanations, that is not evidence that physics one day will.

Hope/belief/confidence in the future capabilities of science IS faith by Dawkins' very definition.

Poor fallacy. It assumes that either you can account for the origin of the universe using current science or you have to accept the existence of any of the God's claimed by different people. Even if science fails at giving an explanation of the origin of the universe, it does not follow that a God (i.e. a benevolent being that can do anything and knows everything) exists. Technically, the idea of an infinitely powerful God is illogical. And even if he existed, he does not seem to care much about the pain experienced by millions/billions of life forms.
Original post by Juichiro
Poor fallacy. It assumes that either you can account for the origin of the universe using current science or you have to accept the existence of any of the God's claimed by different people. Even if science fails at giving an explanation of the origin of the universe, it does not follow that a God (i.e. a benevolent being that can do anything and knows everything) exists. Technically, the idea of an infinitely powerful God is illogical. And even if he existed, he does not seem to care much about the pain experienced by millions/billions of life forms.

No, you've incorrectly interpreted my argument. My argument is the God Delusion is a bad book, not that God exists.

Postulating that science has explained things in the past so we should expect it to explain things in the future, therefore God does not exist (which are two of the premises of Dawkins main argument) is logically, rather poor.

The cartoon was merely tongue in cheek.
No, you've incorrectly interpreted my argument. My argument is the God Delusion is a bad book, not that God exists.

Postulating that science has explained things in the past so we should expect it to explain things in the future, therefore God does not exist (which are two of the premises of Dawkins main argument) is logically, rather poor.

The cartoon was merely tongue in cheek.

Sorry, I was not tackling what you said but the comic strip. :biggrin:
Weird, I went to Aber and never experienced or heard of this phenomenon. In fact while I was there the Christian Society had been banned for their sexist/homophobic policies.

Original post by anarchism101
As an atheist, have to agree; I can't stand Dawkins, his atheism is just so empty and devoid of any real principle.

Dawkins and his followers are the reason I like to call myself 'irreligious' rather than 'atheist'.
Reply 52
If god didn't exist, man would have to invent him...... 'cos god requires less effort than does the concept of infinity and the creation of matter?

Funny that those who argue the 'one true god' mantra think god can oversee but only one religion. ..... Would have thought the one god who created all matter could easily oversee any number of religions...... to argue otherwise suggests god isn't so great?
If its there then I don't see a problem with it. I don't see how it can offend a person who is not christian. I think it would more so offend a christian for being left there due to it being a holy book.
Though personally if they don't want it just donate to a church or something. Bibles are expensive so its like you're doing a good deed I guess. As the saying goes One man's trash is another mans treasure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dozyrosie
Rather than a copy of Gideon's Bible, a free text book relating to their course would be better. The only reason the OP thinks it is much ado about nothing, is because he is a Christian. So how about a Quran in every room?

Completely agree. I'm a Christian, but I don't believe in the need to provide people with that which they may not want. Personally, I'd feel really awkward and rather annoyed if i found a Quran in my room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending