The Student Room Group

Anyone who studied in a Christian school? What is your experience?

The primary and secondary schools I studied in were both Christian schools. The primary school had services once a week, and they had a hymn book which is common to all schools by that organization. I still remember quite a lot of bangers from that book (e.g. 這是天父世界 and 天父常常愛我). There were also Bible lessons. Each school day is opened with prayer, and there was a monthly Bible verse as well.

The secondary school had much better spiritual atmosphere. There were form chapels/class fellowships alternating on Fridays just before school ends for the day. We had a gospel week, and students converted in the events then. Bible lessons were there and Christians had to bring non-Christians to church as an assignment. The word of God is also frequently seen on notices and school announcements.
This is reflected in my graduating class as well, as almost 90% of the graduating class have converted. Quite a few of us are serving in different branches of HKCCC, with two cores in HKUST (including myself), one in EdUHK and one in CUHK.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
I was in Catholic schooling from 3-18 and I didn't mind it much apart from being taught by priests and sometimes nuns who were largely hypocritical egotists. We had hymn practice twice a week in primary school but it died off pretty quickly in high school. Daily prayer and a daily reflective time, all the usual stuff. It wasn't particularly preachy to outsiders but for us religion was everpresent in our day-to-day. We didn't learn about any other religion except our own in high school and that was disappointing. You can't get away with that these days in the UK, you have to by law provide a 'balanced' account of local religious traditions. It's mostly Catholic by me but there's still room for other traditions - we didn't have that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending