AS Chemistry Redox/Halogens Question Watch

Dopes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
'Write an equation for the reaction that occurs when chlorine is added to cold water. State whether or not the water is oxidised and explain your answer.'

I wrote the equation:
Cl2 + H2O -> HCl + HClO
But I'm not sure whether or not the water is oxidised. Do you work out the oxidation state of H in HCl/HClO? If so I got +1 and +3, but then what do you do with those oxidation states? Does hydrogen both stay the same/lose electrons so that water both stays the same and loses electrons ??? Is only the HClO relevant to decide whether or not H2O is oxidised?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
Fanta4TheBanter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dopes)
'Write an equation for the reaction that occurs when chlorine is added to cold water. State whether or not the water is oxidised and explain your answer.'

I wrote the equation:
Cl2 + H2O -> HCl + HClO
But I'm not sure whether or not the water is oxidised. Do you work out the oxidation state of H in HCl/HClO? If so I got +1 and +3, but then what do you do with those oxidation states? Does hydrogen both stay the same/lose electrons so that water both stays the same and loses electrons ??? Is only the HClO relevant to decide whether or not H2O is oxidised?
Hi there!

This question seems to be poorly worded; are you sure you copied it down correctly? In redox reactions, chemicals themselves aren't usually oxidised/reduced, but it's the ions that make up the chemicals that are oxidised/reduced, if that makes sense.

Also, in this case the Hydrogen ions are always in the +1 oxidation state, so it's actually Chlorine which is both reduced (from oxidation state 0 to -1, in HCl) and oxidised (from oxidation state 0 to +1, in HClO).

Since neither of the ions that make up water are oxidised, I guess you can say water is not oxidised.

If you have any more questions, let me know, and I'll be happy to help.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dopes)

I wrote the equation:
Cl2 + H2O -> HCl + HClO
Chlorine disproportionates in water:

Cl2 + H2O --> HCl + HOCl

Chlorine changes from oxidation state zero to oxidation states -1 and +1, nothing else changes ...
Dopes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Fanta4TheBanter)
This question seems to be poorly worded; are you sure you copied it down correctly? In redox reactions, chemicals themselves aren't usually oxidised/reduced, but it's the ions that make up the chemicals that are oxidised/reduced, if that makes sense.
They aren't usually oxidised/reduced meaning chemicals can be oxidised or just that it's unusual to describe them as oxidised or reduced instead of their ions?

(Original post by Fanta4TheBanter)
Also, in this case the Hydrogen ions are always in the +1 oxidation state, so it's actually Chlorine which is both reduced (from oxidation state 0 to -1, in HCl) and oxidised (from oxidation state 0 to +1, in HClO).
How can you tell which ions keep the same oxidation state? Does the Cl change because it reacts as an element and is in compounds in products?
Fanta4TheBanter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dopes)
They aren't usually oxidised/reduced meaning chemicals can be oxidised or just that it's unusual to describe them as oxidised or reduced instead of their ions?
Just unusual.
Fanta4TheBanter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dopes)
How can you tell which ions keep the same oxidation state? Does the Cl change because it reacts as an element and is in compounds in products?
Also, it's just a standard thing that hydrogen doesn't change in this particular reaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads