The Student Room Group

Equilibrium constant?!

1.00 mol of nitrosyl chloride was placed in a sealed container and heated to
500 °C. Equilibrium was reached when 22.0 % of the nitrosyl chloride had
dissociated. The pressure in the vessel was 5.00 atm.
Calculate the value of Kp at this temperature, stating its units.
2NOCl(g) gives NO(g) + Cl2(g) ΔH = +75.6 kJ mol–1

According to the mark scheme the number of moles of NO is 0.22 and 0.11 Cl2
but if thats the case then the total number of moles is 1.11. Shouldn't the no of moles of remain same before and after the reaction?
22% dissociates in to the products so shouldn't 0.22 be divided to get the no of moles of the products? Yes im v confused :|
Reply 1
Original post by Fatima SJ
1.00 mol of nitrosyl chloride was placed in a sealed container and heated to
500 °C. Equilibrium was reached when 22.0 % of the nitrosyl chloride had
dissociated. The pressure in the vessel was 5.00 atm.
Calculate the value of Kp at this temperature, stating its units.
2NOCl(g) gives NO(g) + Cl2(g) ΔH = +75.6 kJ mol–1

According to the mark scheme the number of moles of NO is 0.22 and 0.11 Cl2
but if thats the case then the total number of moles is 1.11. Shouldn't the no of moles of remain same before and after the reaction?
22% dissociates in to the products so shouldn't 0.22 be divided to get the no of moles of the products? Yes im v confused :|

Your equation for the reaction is wrong. It should be:

2NOCl(g)2NO(g)+Cl2(g)2 \text{NOCl}_{\text{(g)}} \rightarrow 2 \text{NO}_{\text{(g)}} + \text{Cl}_{2 \text{(g)}}
Reply 2
Original post by alow
Your equation for the reaction is wrong. It should be:

2NOCl(g)2NO(g)+Cl2(g)2 \text{NOCl}_{\text{(g)}} \rightarrow 2 \text{NO}_{\text{(g)}} + \text{Cl}_{2 \text{(g)}}

I copied it directly from the paper , accidentally erased the 2. I know the correct equation but if the no of mole ( dissociated ) of NOCL = NO then the total no of moles after the reaction will increase. But my question is should the no of moles before and after attaining equilibrium be same? Thats what ive seen from other past papers.
Reply 3
Original post by Fatima SJ
I copied it directly from the paper , accidentally erased the 2. I know the correct equation but if the no of mole ( dissociated ) of NOCL = NO then the total no of moles after the reaction will increase. But my question is should the no of moles before and after attaining equilibrium be same? Thats what ive seen from other past papers.

Why would that be the case? For the equilibrium to be established the rates of forward and reverse reaction have to be equal, so the reaction has to proceed somewhat.

Quick Reply

Latest