The Student Room Group

Super scared about upcoming GCSE's?

I'm incredibly nervous for my upcoming GCSE's in a few weeks, considering that i haven't learned anything at all this whole year, after being super unmotivated from learning after i failed my Biology GCSE last year. After that, i have felt no need to revise since all of my months of revision went to waste last year. But now, i am a few straws away from having a serious mental breakdown because i cannot revise and if i can, none of what i've just read/listened/spoke stays with me. Main worries are Chemistry and Physics, having come out with D's and a U in the RATs tests a month ago. I know i can get reasonably good grades in everything else, but im just shook with anxiety about everything and i have no idea what to do. All of my peer's keep telling me i should revise and i know i should, but my days are usually spent trying to get an A* in art and nothing else. If anyone else has ever been in this situation, please help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it that much. In the grand scheme of things, GCSEs aren't all that important. You only really need them to get into college. It sounds like science isn't really for you but that's okay. When you choose your A levels just do the subjects you enjoy the most and are good at. I'd say do the best you can in maths and English as employees do like to see that you've at least passed these. But other than that don't stress; you can't be good at everything!
OK
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plank60
However, to improve your grades to a 'C' standard, steal some books!
It sounds horrible, but the teacher won't know if one AQA GCSE ICT Revision Guide goes missing, will she? Come into the room at lunch and help yourself! Do this for all of your subjects and simply "self-teach". And after the exams, you can easily "unsteal" them again.!

I 'borrowed' the newest Geography textbook. I feel it is fair seeing as they are there to improve my learning and seeing as the specification is changing next year, nobody will miss it.
I feel you. I'm super scared about my upcoming GCSE's in June. I started my revision in the start of Year 11, and reason being is because I was nervous, and that gave me a great motivation boost. Since the start of year 11 up until now, I have improved lots, on my core subjects, but I'm still worried, but that is just an OCPD related problem(I hate English Language, but hopefully I do pass it, with at least a C). You still have 5-6 weeks, use that time wisely, and revise because all that revision can make the difference most definitely.
Reply 5
Original post by Kayleighw27
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it that much. In the grand scheme of things, GCSEs aren't all that important. You only really need them to get into college. It sounds like science isn't really for you but that's okay. When you choose your A levels just do the subjects you enjoy the most and are good at. I'd say do the best you can in maths and English as employees do like to see that you've at least passed these. But other than that don't stress; you can't be good at everything!

For the past 4 years, all i've been taught at my school is that if you dont get good GCSE's, your life is pretty much over. I've been accepted at a 6th form of my choice, doing all of the subjects i wanted, which is great. Im predicted at an A/A* in english, and if i work hard enough, at least a B in maths. However, most of the pressure comes from teachers, always telling me to do better, mostly the ones who presume a C isn't good enough when it's considered a pass. Got told by my physics teacher that theres no point in studying triple science if youre predicted to get a C and that i shouldve dropped the subject! Such motivation lol...
Original post by Plank60
I took my Core Science GCSE exams in Year 10 and Statistics GCSE too. Altogether, I have had 4 exams- 4 exam room experiences- yet I'm still nervous for my upcoming Year 11 exams in three weeks. I've been thinking: "How can this be so when I've had so many exams?" The fact is, it's really inevitable for us to be scared for our exams. It's a flight or fight stress response, our body's way of telling us "Danger!" In the BC era, our ancestors needed these stress responses to "assess situations"- whether it would be too dangerous to attack that massive mammoth or whether or not to touch that bright orange flame in front of us.

The truth is, no matter whether you're an A/A* grade student, everyone is scared of exams. I'm a D/C grade student, and I'm proud to emphasise this. The A/A* candidates are really the unfortunate ones- who have all that "expectation" to do well on them from their parents and the school, siblings- you name it!I would rather be predicted Ds and Es for GCSEs- and this is because there is no "pressure" (if you see what I mean) to do well.

Be thankful that you got those results in your mock, as if you had got A*s in them, people would have put pressure on you to perform in your real exams. I'm no professional, but I'd rather be thankful for the mock grades rather than have that expectation put on me!

It sounds horrible, but the teacher won't know if one AQA GCSE ICT Revision Guide goes missing, will she? Come into the room at lunch and help yourself! Do this for all of your subjects and simply "self-teach". And after the exams, you can easily "unsteal" them again.

It's borrowing really.

Good luck with all of your exams!
Happy borrowing!

Original post by BasicMistake
I 'borrowed' the newest Geography textbook. I feel it is fair seeing as they are there to improve my learning and seeing as the specification is changing next year, nobody will miss it.

I do not understand. Does your school not provide you with textbooks?
Reply 7
Original post by Plank60
I took my Core Science GCSE exams in Year 10 and Statistics GCSE too. Altogether, I have had 4 exams- 4 exam room experiences- yet I'm still nervous for my upcoming Year 11 exams in three weeks. I've been thinking: "How can this be so when I've had so many exams?" The fact is, it's really inevitable for us to be scared for our exams. It's a flight or fight stress response, our body's way of telling us "Danger!" In the BC era, our ancestors needed these stress responses to "assess situations"- whether it would be too dangerous to attack that massive mammoth or whether or not to touch that bright orange flame in front of us.

The truth is, no matter whether you're an A/A* grade student, everyone is scared of exams. I'm a D/C grade student, and I'm proud to emphasise this. The A/A* candidates are really the unfortunate ones- who have all that "expectation" to do well on them from their parents and the school, siblings- you name it!I would rather be predicted Ds and Es for GCSEs- and this is because there is no "pressure" (if you see what I mean) to do well.

Be thankful that you got those results in your mock, as if you had got A*s in them, people would have put pressure on you to perform in your real exams. I'm no professional, but I'd rather be thankful for the mock grades rather than have that expectation put on me!

It sounds horrible, but the teacher won't know if one AQA GCSE ICT Revision Guide goes missing, will she? Come into the room at lunch and help yourself! Do this for all of your subjects and simply "self-teach". And after the exams, you can easily "unsteal" them again.

It's borrowing really.

Good luck with all of your exams!
Happy borrowing!

Yes, i agree, the stress and anxiety is definitely inevitable, and also the pressure of having A/A*'s in every subject, however my teachers are the one's putting most of the pressure on me, i guess they only want me to do well, but when that pressure starts to intimidate and un-motivate me, thats a different story. I am quite happy to have a range of grades from D-A*'s but cant help but want to be good at everything else. As for the mock results, i did quite well in mine in November, if i must say.

As for the stealing books aspect, i wish i could! But my school has grown an annoying habit of counting the textbooks stored in each class and checking the students bags if any has gone missing, as well as locking the doors of nearly all rooms :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by evaristegalois
I feel you. I'm super scared about my upcoming GCSE's in June. I started my revision in the start of Year 11, and reason being is because I was nervous, and that gave me a great motivation boost. Since the start of year 11 up until now, I have improved lots, on my core subjects, but I'm still worried, but that is just an OCPD related problem(I hate English Language, but hopefully I do pass it, with at least a C). You still have 5-6 weeks, use that time wisely, and revise because all that revision can make the difference most definitely.

You are the total opposite of me, nervousness puts me off so much! It's great that you have improved, i have stayed pretty much the same in all of my subjects, i guess due to the lack of revision. However, my exams start on the first week of May, thats 3 weeks away. I have been lucky though, to have and extra week added to my easter break as my school was undergoing a rebuilding/renovation and the students are not allowed on premises. Gives me extra time to try to cram some last minute stuff into my brain.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I do not understand. Does your school not provide you with textbooks?

Not for some subjects and for others they are out of date.
Original post by Plank60

You hit the nail on the head!

My mock grades were 7A*s, 3As and a B. Clearly very good grades, and obviously I was quite chuffed. My expectations were I want to get all As and maybe an A* if I'm lucky. Looking on paper, it looks like I'm on track to repeat my mock grades - but the pressure is just overwhelming.

Within a month of wanting all As, I'm now supposed to aim for almost all A*s and what I'm going through is unbearable. I can't even articulate the amount of stress I'm going through and the pressure and expectation to repeat and improve my mocks. I have never been more demotivated in my life before.

Now there's only 32 days until the start of my 26 exams and everyday the pressure goes up a notch. At some point I'm going to have a mental breakdown, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
Original post by larixcx
You are the total opposite of me, nervousness puts me off so much! It's great that you have improved, i have stayed pretty much the same in all of my subjects, i guess due to the lack of revision. However, my exams start on the first week of May, thats 3 weeks away. I have been lucky though, to have and extra week added to my easter break as my school was undergoing a rebuilding/renovation and the students are not allowed on premises. Gives me extra time to try to cram some last minute stuff into my brain.

Meh :rolleyes: I guess it's just a state of mind, but I'm motivated and dedicated in what I want to do.
The thing that makes me nervous is the anticipation. I really need to see what that first question of the Mathematics and Science test will be. A recipe question? Hopefully :3. But being a nerve wreck is kind of like a defence mechanism for survival for me, so it's natural. Just fingers crossed, my hard work wasn't for nothing :wink: and I hope you get the grades you wish for as well :smile:
Original post by larixcx
For the past 4 years, all i've been taught at my school is that if you dont get good GCSE's, your life is pretty much over. I've been accepted at a 6th form of my choice, doing all of the subjects i wanted, which is great. Im predicted at an A/A* in english, and if i work hard enough, at least a B in maths. However, most of the pressure comes from teachers, always telling me to do better, mostly the ones who presume a C isn't good enough when it's considered a pass. Got told by my physics teacher that theres no point in studying triple science if youre predicted to get a C and that i shouldve dropped the subject! Such motivation lol...

Trust me I'm at uni now and I essentially forget I have GCSEs. Occasionally I'm asked for 5 A* to C but that's about it. As long as you get into college it stops being important.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kayleighw27

Unfortunately, with the coming A level changes, this is no longer true.

I believe Uni's will be using GCSE grades (along side a few other things) to determine if someone should be offered a place, because of the removal of AS levels the GCSEs are the last exam they can go on.
Original post by AdamCee
Unfortunately, with the coming A level changes, this is no longer true.

I believe Uni's will be using GCSE grades (along side a few other things) to determine if someone should be offered a place, because of the removal of AS levels the GCSEs are the last exam they can go on.

Oh god, more stress! :eek: *cries*

I like your picture though, nice choice!
Original post by jamestg
Oh god, more stress! :eek: *cries*

I like your picture though, nice choice!

Sorry... It motivated me and I thought might do the same, clearly not :P

And thank you :smile: So excited for the album
Original post by AdamCee
Sorry... It motivated me and I thought might do the same, clearly not :P

And thank you :smile: So excited for the album

Haha it's okay.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE ALBUM, and hopefully any concerts in the UK they may hold!

this bit's irrelevant to the thread, but I'm in the same situation as you for your A-levels. I'm down to do Maths, Biology, History and Economics - but may change one or two for others you also want to do. And people said my combo at the moment was unpopular...
Original post by jamestg
Haha it's okay.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE ALBUM, and hopefully any concerts in the UK they may hold!

this bit's irrelevant to the thread, but I'm in the same situation as you for your A-levels. I'm down to do Maths, Biology, History and Economics - but may change one or two for others you also want to do. And people said my combo at the moment was unpopular...

Indeed! Really wanted to do the Psycho tour but all dates were 3+ hours away so I couldn't make it :frown:

Really? I wouldn't say that's unpopular at all... I'm still very undecided on what I'm taking so I've spoken to a lot of my teachers recently, and history+economics go really well (so I've been told) and maths+economics go really well too (so I've been told again). Just depends what you want to do after A levels I guess. Although I'm waiting for my results I think before I decide my final options
Original post by larixcx
I'm incredibly nervous for my upcoming GCSE's in a few weeks, considering that i haven't learned anything at all this whole year, after being super unmotivated from learning after i failed my Biology GCSE last year. After that, i have felt no need to revise since all of my months of revision went to waste last year. But now, i am a few straws away from having a serious mental breakdown because i cannot revise and if i can, none of what i've just read/listened/spoke stays with me. Main worries are Chemistry and Physics, having come out with D's and a U in the RATs tests a month ago. I know i can get reasonably good grades in everything else, but im just shook with anxiety about everything and i have no idea what to do. All of my peer's keep telling me i should revise and i know i should, but my days are usually spent trying to get an A* in art and nothing else. If anyone else has ever been in this situation, please help :frown:

I am going to give you some serious advice. And I am going through my GCSE's as well, it has only just hit me that the start of next week marks 4 weeks until the start of the exam period.

Whatever you do, try to stay calm. As long as you stay calm about them you will be able to take in more information at quicker rates when revising. This in turn means that you will be able to spend less time revising and more time with your family and taking part in extra activities.

I have only just started revising and I too am the most nervous of my science subjects, bar physics. I try to think of the exams I have coming up as mocks, this releases my stress and I can take in more information.

Just try to remain calm and focused on what you need to do, and everything else will fall into place.

Sorry for the long winded reply. :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest