The Student Room Group

Sutton trust us programme

heeyyy! is anyone applying to the programme this year? if yes, feel free to chat here. I am applying and im incredibly scared. if you were in previous cohorts, please drop some advice and help 😀 we would greatly appreciate it 💓
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum
which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
There is no link haha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by crispybutterfly
heeyyy! is anyone applying to the programme this year? if yes, feel free to chat here. I am applying and im incredibly scared. if you were in previous cohorts, please drop some advice and help 😀 we would greatly appreciate it 💓

hey I am applying!
Original post by nevey666
hey I am applying!

On hiii! How are you finding the application so far? I'm scared that my extracurriculars are not good enough ://
Reply 5
On hiii! How are you finding the application so far? I'm scared that my extracurriculars are not good enough ://

Same I, literally completing that section right now I don’t even want to think about the essays lol I only got one 8 at gcse aswell so there probably not great either.
Hey! Programme Alum here! I was on the programme in Cohort 11 and am currently a freshman at a US university!

My advice for applying to the programme would honestly just be to ensure that you really communicate who you are to the programme. US universities want to admit real students, not perfect ones, and so so much of that process is holistic, which is why the application to the programme follows this model! I would recommend watching the 2024 application webinar (https://youtu.be/x3vIdt-95Do?si=xsmnnp2kejZbhyLf) or the application bootcamp (https://youtu.be/zoZpJ10Kntw?si=LYqS0EOKYoJKwXdR) as they both contain advice from both staff on the programme and alum!

If you'd like any more information or specific tips, please feel free to reply to this comment! (Unfortunately I can't answer direct messages!)

Good luck to all of you! The programme was an absolutely life-changing experience for me and I wouldn't trade it for the world, so please please please apply! You won't regret it :smile:
Original post by chxrlxtte.bee
Hey! Programme Alum here! I was on the programme in Cohort 11 and am currently a freshman at a US university!

My advice for applying to the programme would honestly just be to ensure that you really communicate who you are to the programme. US universities want to admit real students, not perfect ones, and so so much of that process is holistic, which is why the application to the programme follows this model! I would recommend watching the 2024 application webinar (https://youtu.be/x3vIdt-95Do?si=xsmnnp2kejZbhyLf) or the application bootcamp (https://youtu.be/zoZpJ10Kntw?si=LYqS0EOKYoJKwXdR) as they both contain advice from both staff on the programme and alum!

If you'd like any more information or specific tips, please feel free to reply to this comment! (Unfortunately I can't answer direct messages!)

Good luck to all of you! The programme was an absolutely life-changing experience for me and I wouldn't trade it for the world, so please please please apply! You won't regret it :smile:

heeey! do you maybe have instagram where i could contact you? i just think it would be easier! if not, i ll just ask my questions here 🙂
heeey! do you maybe have instagram where i could contact you? i just think it would be easier! if not, i ll just ask my questions here 🙂

Hi! Unfortunately, I can only answer questions through threads like these, so you can just pop any questions here and I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi! Unfortunately, I can only answer questions through threads like these, so you can just pop any questions here and I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:

what gcses did u get and for the tell us about something you have watched or read question i am kinda struggling any prompts ?
what gcses did u get and for the tell us about something you have watched or read question i am kinda struggling any prompts ?

My GCSEs were good, as I had some standout grades, but they were not perfect by any means! Grades are also discussed in the first application webinar I linked to (not sure about the second) so you may find that helpful!

The application question you're asking about is actually a golden opportunity to show your personality in your application -- the programme are basically asking you what's important to you and what you connect with. You could say you watched anything from David Attenborough to Love Island, or read anything from Harry Potter to Shakespeare, as long as it had some impact on you. Again, the programme is asking about you, so please don't be worried about questions like these! Just be you!

of course! what tips do you have for the video? also would it be okay if we read from a script? and about financial background…if we are not on free school meals are they going to just not take us into consideration?? 😭
Reply 12
of course! what tips do you have for the video? also would it be okay if we read from a script? and about financial background…if we are not on free school meals are they going to just not take us into consideration?? 😭

I am also not free school meals lol
I am also not free school meals lol

He okay… no i was getting stressed because i feel like so many people accepted have really unstable financial backgrounds…

Again, this information can be found in the webinar! I really do think you'll find it helpful. You can even scrub ahead about two thirds of the way through to the "application tips" section. The video is long but it's really super informative, and like I said is from the people who were admitted onto the programme and the people who are going to admit you all!

Also, in terms of financial background, please ensure you are differentiating between the required criteria, and the additonal criteria, both of which can be found here (https://us.suttontrust.com/eligibility/). The only financial requirements as to say are being from a low-middle income family (earning 45k a year or less) and never having attended a fee-paying school, and these are requirements because the Sutton Trust is a social mobility programme designed for state school students. Being eligible for free school meals may make you more likely to get onto the programme, but it is by no means a requirement. I meet the other financial requirements but was not on free school meals.

Hope this helped!
Again, this information can be found in the webinar! I really do think you'll find it helpful. You can even scrub ahead about two thirds of the way through to the "application tips" section. The video is long but it's really super informative, and like I said is from the people who were admitted onto the programme and the people who are going to admit you all!

Also, in terms of financial background, please ensure you are differentiating between the required criteria, and the additonal criteria, both of which can be found here (https://us.suttontrust.com/eligibility/). The only financial requirements as to say are being from a low-middle income family (earning 45k a year or less) and never having attended a fee-paying school, and these are requirements because the Sutton Trust is a social mobility programme designed for state school students. Being eligible for free school meals may make you more likely to get onto the programme, but it is by no means a requirement. I meet the other financial requirements but was not on free school meals.

Hope this helped!

yess! i meet the required criteria but not additional free school meals or first in family to go to uni..,

same im applying but im so scared
Reply 17
Original post by raza_ammar1029
same im applying but im so scared

what are ur gcses like and how many extra curriculars r u putting in bc idkkk
what are ur gcses like and how many extra curriculars r u putting in bc idkkk

999999875 and 7/8 extracurricular but like some of them are kinda dead wbu? and i dont know how to write the essays my english is so bad

Quick Reply

Latest