The Student Room Group

C1 Co ordinate geometry

I'm stuck on part 2.The pictures are of my previous working.
Reply 1
Original post by Kadak
I'm stuck on part 2.The pictures are of my previous working.

I can't see the pictures anywhere?
Original post by smsgd
I can't see the pictures anywhere?

My app seems to be done.I'm not sure how to upload pics on the desk version but the question I'm stuck on is 9(II) on OCR paper 18 may 2011.
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0152.jpgDSC_0152.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by Kadak

Okay, so did you workout the right angle to be at A, B or C? (I cant quite see the top of the picture)
DSC_0150.jpg
Original post by smsgd
Okay, so did you workout the right angle to be at A, B or C? (I cant quite see the top of the picture)

The right angle is at c I believe.
Reply 8
Original post by Kadak
The right angle is at c I believe.

I got the right angle to be at A?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by smsgd
I got the vertex to be at A?

Oh sorry,I thought It would be c cause it's opposite to it but yes the vertex is at A.
Reply 10
Okay, so in that case, we know that BC is the diameter of the circle (due to the 'angle in a semicircle theorem' - if A is the right angle then the remaining to sides must join to give the diameter).

If BC is the diameter, the midpoint of the line is the centre of the circle. the coords are:
x: [7+ (-3)]/2 = 2
y: [1 + (-9)]/ 2 = -4

Lenght of BC is sqrt{[7-(-3)]2 + [1-(-9)]^2} = sqrt(200) = 10*sqrt(2), thereforce radius of the circle is 5*sqrt(2) (Half of BC which is the diameter)

The equation of the circle is therefore : (x-2)2 (y+4) 2 = [5* sqrt(2)]^2

Expand that and you should get the answer in the format the wuestion asks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Not sure if this is clear enough, but this is what I just did. Hopefully its correct and it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Arjun24
Not sure if this is clear enough, but this is what I just did. Hopefully its correct and it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If A is the right angle, wouldn't that make BC the diameter?
Original post by smsgd
Okay, so in that case, we know that BC is the diameter of the circle (due to the 'angle in a semicircle theorem' - if A is the right angle then the remaining to sides must join to give the diameter).

If BC is the diameter, the midpoint of the line is the centre of the circle. the coords are:
x: [7+ (-3)]/2 = 2
y: [1 + (-9)]/ 2 = -4

Lenght of BC is sqrt{[7-(-3)]2 + [1-(-9)]^2} = sqrt(200) = 10*sqrt(2), thereforce radius of the circle is 5*sqrt(2) (Half of BC which is the diameter)

The equation of the circle is therefore : (x-2)2 (y+4) 2 = 5* sqrt(2)

Expand that and you should get the answer in the format the wuestion asks

Yeah this is the best way of doing this. You could setup a 3 way simultaneous equation but without a calculator that is very hard to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest