The Student Room Group

Complex numbers

Real axis could some one explain to me why 3/4 on the real axis is less than 2pi but 4/3 is larger than 2pi
Original post by meme12
Real axis could some one explain to me why 3/4 on the real axis is less than 2pi but 4/3 is larger than 2pi

As it stands, it's not true.

Do you mean e2πie^{2\pi i} ? Which equals 1, hence....
Reply 2
In this case
Original post by meme12
In this case

I've no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at there. However as this looks to be complex analysis, I'll leave it for someone else.
Reply 4
Original post by meme12
In this case

Your writing is a bit faint but it looks like you are integrating a function around the unit circle which has |z| = 1 and the function has poles at z = 3/4 and z = 4/3.

Since 3/4 < 1 that pole lies inside the circle, so its residue contributes to the integral, but 4/3 > 1 so it lies outside the circle and it makes no contribution.
Reply 5
Yes exactly but does that mean 2pi is equal to 1 what is pi equal to in the same case just wanna know when I can say this pole in included or not
Reply 6
Z is equal to 2pi
Reply 7
It's integrating from 0 to 2pi I can post the question if that's better
Reply 8
Original post by meme12
It's integrating from 0 to 2pi I can post the question if that's better

z isn't 2π2\pi

If you are integrating round the unit circle |z| = 1 you can parameterize this with z=eitz = e^{it} where t runs from 0 to 2π2\pi.

Any pole w with |w| < 1 lies inside the contour; any pole w with |w| > 1 lies outside the contour.

Quick Reply

Latest