The Student Room Group

Complex numbers A level question

In an Argand diagram, the vertices of an equilateral triangle lie on a circle with centre at the origin. One of the vertices represents the complex number 4 + 2i. Find the complex numbers represented by the other two vertices. Give your answers in the form x + iy, where x and y are real and exact.
I have no idea how to solve this.
I tried doing this:

4+2i
√(4^2 + 2^2)
r= 2√5
tan ^-1 = 2/4
θ= 26.565

I also know that the three points are the same distance from the origin and separated by equal angle of 120.

But I don't know what to do from here.
Help
Reply 1
Original post by raghadgamil
In an Argand diagram, the vertices of an equilateral triangle lie on a circle with centre at the origin. One of the vertices represents the complex number 4 + 2i. Find the complex numbers represented by the other two vertices. Give your answers in the form x + iy, where x and y are real and exact.
I have no idea how to solve this.
I tried doing this:

4+2i
√(4^2 + 2^2)
r= 2√5
tan ^-1 = 2/4
θ= 26.565

I also know that the three points are the same distance from the origin and separated by equal angle of 120.

But I don't know what to do from here.
Help

You could +/-120 from your calculated theta to get the other two angles and then convert back to rectangular form, though its probably easier to use complex numbers throughout (and it gives an exact answer). So if you multiply a complex number by
e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x)
it represents a rotation by "x". So just do that to your original complex number to get the other two vertices.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest