The Student Room Group

People calling for a boycott of Game of Thrones due to the rape scene are hypocrites

Probable spoilers in the following link:

http://news.yahoo.com/critics-slam-hbo-drama-game-thrones-rape-scene-034555395.html

Showing two dead children's bodies, charred and hanging, is not a step too far?
Showing a man being cut in half is not a step too far?
Portraying a man being castrated is not a step too far?
Showing a woman having her throat slit is not a step too far?
Showing a wolf's head sewn to a decapitated body is not a step too far?
Showing prostitutes being abused is not a step too far?

:rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

muh oppression
There's a complainer for every occasion. I think some people like to compete to be the most outraged, as if it validates them somehow.
there wasn't any rapeyness in Lord Of the Rings iirc
Reply 4
These same people obviously forgot Season One.
Posted from TSR Mobile

People seem whinge for the sake of whinging these days.
You'd think after four seasons, people would have caught on to the fact that the world of Game of Thrones is a brutal place where pretty horrible things happen.
Who cares about those whiners? If the show actually followed the books, we would see much worse, with Ramsay forcing Theon to perform oral sex on her, and forcing her to have sex with his hunting dog. What was on the show was actually quite toned down.
(edited 8 years ago)
the only reason i can see for people defending sansa's rape is that they are sickos with weird fetishes. rape on television is seldom afforded the sensitivity and care with which to handle it. i am really disappointed in the directors; this isn't the first time they have desensitised violence towards women for shock value.

furthermore, what actually was the point?! seriously, nothing new was learnt from that episode. we already knew that sansa gets treated terribly and that ramsay is a sadist. terrible, lazy writing.
Reply 9
Perhaps they feel that Ramsey should have performed a risk assessment and that Theon should have been a Muslim convert to satisfy the diversity quota..

This is a show set in the Middle Ages on after the watershed... it's not fracking Disney!
Oh just finished watching the episode a moment ago :\
Boycotting the show would be dumb as hell, I can't really see the point
To be honest, those who are complaining about it are mainly people like me who don't really have a problem with the rape; it's more how it relates to Sansa's character development. Without trying to be too blunt, now she's actually a player in the game she shouldn't have been showing so much fear to Ramsay. Of course he's going to be a dick on the wedding night; 1. It's the middle ages. 2. He's Ramsay "evil is in my email address" Snow! Also personally I feel like they might use it as an excuse to turn her into a whiny little thing again.
Reply 12
Didn't find it shocking really.

What about Khal Drogo and Daenerys in season one?
Original post by tanyapotter
the only reason i can see for people defending sansa's rape is that they are sickos with weird fetishes. rape on television is seldom afforded the sensitivity and care with which to handle it. i am really disappointed in the directors; this isn't the first time they have desensitised violence towards women for shock value.

furthermore, what actually was the point?! seriously, nothing new was learnt from that episode. we already knew that sansa gets treated terribly and that ramsay is a sadist. terrible, lazy writing.

The point was to progress sansa's character arc. You seem to not know anything about storytelling.

If you are really concerned about violence towards women you shouldnt be watching this. Its set in the middle ages where violence existed day in and day out
Original post by EllieC130
To be honest, those who are complaining about it are mainly people like me who don't really have a problem with the rape; it's more how it relates to Sansa's character development. Without trying to be too blunt, now she's actually a player in the game she shouldn't have been showing so much fear to Ramsay. Of course he's going to be a dick on the wedding night; 1. It's the middle ages. 2. He's Ramsay "evil is in my email address" Snow! Also personally I feel like they might use it as an excuse to turn her into a whiny little thing again.

Its ramsay bolton ffs

No longer a bastard
Original post by miser
Didn't find it shocking really.

What about Khal Drogo and Daenerys in season one?

Danny then started to seduce khal drogo. Guess they'll be eating their own words if sansa decides to do it in the TV show. Littlefinger did saymake hin yours :laugh:
if they don't like the show, then don't watch it.... If someone comes up with a argument saying that it affects children, why are their kids even watching game of thrones? it's a 18+ age rated show anyway.

I don't support rape, but I don't think boycotting the show is necessary. The show is trying to stick to the books and this scene was nothing compared to the books.

Just like what the OP said, If people only find the rape disturbing, what about all the other disturbing scenes in GOT?
It's just feminazis trolling....
Original post by S-man10
Its ramsay bolton ffs

No longer a bastard

If he's going to act like a bastard I will call him by his bastard name XD
Original post by S-man10
The point was to progress sansa's character arc. You seem to not know anything about storytelling.

If you are really concerned about violence towards women you shouldnt be watching this. Its set in the middle ages where violence existed day in and day out

please, enlighten me about how having sansa raped progressed her story arc? i've read the books...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EllieC130
If he's going to act like a bastard I will call him by his bastard name XD

No hes not acting like a bastard. Hes acts like a **** so his bastard name is undeserving

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending