The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 Exam (9th June) [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

That was such a great exam AMIRITE? :biggrin:
For the last emulsifier question, I drew a diagram and I drew it wrong but I think the explanation makes sense so would they count the diagram or ignore it?
What did everyone get for the reduction of impact on the environment using the limestone in water?
what was the answer to the question about suspension of limestone??? was it the sulfur dioxide or carbon dioxide
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
What did everyone get for the reduction of impact on the environment using the limestone in water?

I put something really weird as I just guessed and said that as limestone is a base (it's alkaline or whatever) it can neutralise the acidity of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides which cause acid rain? Idk if limestone is alkaline 😂 what did you put?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote the carbon dioxide reacts with the limestone in water which also calcium hydroxide,this prevents CO2 from being released into the atmosphere therefore contribution to climate change/global warming because instead it reacts to produce calcium carbonate

Posted from TSR Mobile
*less contribution I meant to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
hated the 12 mark question but the rest of the exam was ok aha. How did everyone else find it?x
Also what about the question on the soend par about names f particles that include non metal and metal (I wrote Ions) and two non metals (I wrote molecules)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScreamingWhisper
I wrote the carbon dioxide reacts with the limestone in water which also calcium hydroxide,this prevents CO2 from being released into the atmosphere therefore contribution to climate change/global warming because instead it reacts to produce calcium carbonate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh, could you not talk about the sulphur dioxide reacting with the limestone and water? Eh. I thought both were possibilities but it only asked for a single impact.
Original post by CirqueDesRêves
I put something really weird as I just guessed and said that as limestone is a base (it's alkaline or whatever) it can neutralise the acidity of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides which cause acid rain? Idk if limestone is alkaline 😂 what did you put?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put something similar except I said that sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide dissolved in the water to form sulphuric acid and nitric acid which were neutralised by the alkaline limestone 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollie1711
what was the answer to the question about suspension of limestone??? was it the sulfur dioxide or carbon dioxide

I put something like sulfur dioxide is removed by reacting it with calcium hydroxide or calcium oxide which is formed from limestone in water. This is called flue gas desulfurisation and reduces sulfur dioxide reacting with rainwater to make acid rain.
Had no clue! Think this is wrong though!
Huh, could you not talk about the sulphur dioxide reacting with the limestone and water? Eh. I thought both were possibilities but it only asked for a single impact.

Yeah you could choose any, I just chose CO2 it was the only thing I could think of

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people find it? Spent about 20 minutes staring at that stupid non metal particle question, put "covalently bonded molecules" in the end 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiwifruit99
I put something similar except I said that sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide dissolved in the water to form sulphuric acid and nitric acid which were neutralised by the alkaline limestone 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yay! I thought I would get 0 on that question 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you could choose any, I just chose CO2 it was the only thing I could think of

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, alright :smile:

I'll just wait until an unofficial mark scheme comes up then. I can't spend most of today worrying about chemistry when I have History tomorrow... :sad:
Reply 416
Also what about the question on the soend par about names f particles that include non metal and metal (I wrote Ions) and two non metals (I wrote molecules)

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wrote ions too and electron. i wrote molecules first then crossed it out
I wrote sulfur dioxide reacts with water to produce sulfuric acid which reacts with limestone to produce calcium sulfate so less sulfur in atmosphere so less acid rain. Is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote the exact same thing as you 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending