Permutations and Combinations Question

Watch
16characterlimit
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144608-...atistics-1.pdf

Q 4c) and ii), answers are 24 and 54

For 4c, why can't I make each number 1(1) 1(2) 2(1) 2(2) 3(1) 3(2) and use 6x5x4/2!*2!*2! ?

It makes sense to me but it obviously doesn't give the answer, anyone have any good methods to deal with the weirder permutations and combinations questions? Thanks!
joostan
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 16characterlimit)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144608-...atistics-1.pdf

Q 4c) and ii), answers are 24 and 54

For 4c, why can't I make each number 1(1) 1(2) 2(1) 2(2) 3(1) 3(2) and use 6x5x4/2!*2!*2! ?

It makes sense to me but it obviously doesn't give the answer, anyone have any good methods to deal with the weirder permutations and combinations questions? Thanks!
For c) The ways of including every number at most twice is the same as the total number of ways to make a number minus the ways in which all 3 digits are the same.
This gives the required answer in I think the easiest way.
16characterlimit
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by joostan)
For c) The ways of including every number at most twice is the same as the total number of ways to make a number minus the ways in which all 3 digits are the same.
This gives the required answer in I think the easiest way.
How would I apply this in the second part or in a general example?

The number of all digits being the same or used three times is much more in ii
joostan
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 16characterlimit)
How would I apply this in the second part or in a general example?

The number of all digits being the same or used three times is much more in ii
Well in a 4 digit number, at least one digit must be used twice.
The number of ways of using one digit twice, and the number of ways of using two digits twice are easy enough to calculate.
From there it's a matter of using the possible distinct permutations of each to find the total number.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.58%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.74%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.46%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.33%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (215)
46.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads