The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Chemistry Unit 1 22/5/2015 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lowest I could've possibly got for unit 1/2 is 68 on both papers.
Not bad but hopefully got a few marks here and there, didn't give myself marks on the weird questions like the drug testing.

Cheers for doing these.
Reply 21
Completed and now added photos :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by MrPenguinPerson
Thanks, any thoughts on grade boundaries?

I think Unit 1 will be one of the highest, but lower than last year due to the section on mass spectrometer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Unit 2 becomes the highest boundaries ever. My teacher said it was the easiest paper he's ever seen in his career :dontknow:
Original post by C0balt
I think Unit 1 will be one of the highest, but lower than last year due to the section on mass spectrometer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Unit 2 becomes the highest boundaries ever. My teacher said it was the easiest paper he's ever seen in his career :dontknow:

Really?!
Oh- seems like I'll be resitting unit 2 😢
I feel confident on unit 1 being 64 for an A,
But I can't call unit 2 - some say it was easy and others say it was harder than last year 😕
Thanks for the mark scheme btw x
Reply 24
Original post by PointDexter
Really?!
Oh- seems like I'll be resitting unit 2 😢
I feel confident on unit 1 being 64 for an A,
But I can't call unit 2 - some say it was easy and others say it was harder than last year 😕
Thanks for the mark scheme btw x

No problem :smile:
It might be only our school, because we have covered carbonate, flame test, shape, equilibrium etc so many times so the paper was a gift from god :yy:
Reply 25
For the question regarding the effect of a higher charge on the peak, if I stated that the 'peak would have a smaller height due to a greater charge as this consequently results in greater charge to mass ratio' would I still get the mark? I didn't say that it would be halved :\
Reply 26
Original post by ergo30
For the question regarding the effect of a higher charge on the peak, if I stated that the 'peak would have a smaller height due to a greater charge as this consequently results in greater charge to mass ratio' would I still get the mark? I didn't say that it would be halved :\

I don't think you would. It is not about peak height but about the m/e value as stated in the question so talking about irrelevant thing wouldn't grant a mark
Greater mass to charge ratio is an incorrect statement as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by C0balt
I don't think you would. It is not about peak height but about the m/e value as stated in the question so talking about irrelevant thing wouldn't grant a mark
Greater mass to charge ratio is an incorrect statement as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said charge to mass ratio not 'mass to charge' :\
Don't think I did too well, got about 70 on this paper but 62 in unit 2 :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by ergo30
I said charge to mass ratio not 'mass to charge' :\
Don't think I did too well, got about 70 on this paper but 62 in unit 2 :frown:

Oh I don't know then lol
That's not bad :redface: isn't that an A? (I don't pay attention to boundaries so I have no idea lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by C0balt
Oh I don't know then lol
That's not bad :redface: isn't that an A? (I don't pay attention to boundaries so I have no idea lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's sort of on the boundary I think, unit 1 boundaries will definitely go up but no idea what the unit 2 grade boundaries will be like since people have had mixed feelings regarding the paper. Presumably, you have to get 65 for an A? That's what I thought any way, thanks for your help.
Does anyone have the IAL mark schemes?? For both the units?
Reply 31
Original post by Mushi123
Does anyone have the IAL mark schemes?? For both the units?

I unfortunately don't and people here probably don't because we all sat GCE and can't sit IAL at the same time
Yeah i know but do you know anyone who does?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending