The Student Room Group

Actuarial grad schemes 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninaporter
It's not really been advertised as being open. In reality though, applications for 2016 are open, but they don't start reviewing until September. Emailed their graduate team to confirm. Figured I'd get mine out of the way! :smile:

Sorry, guess you were more on it than I realised. Didn't even realise it was you who made this thread, lol. Me being thick. :P

Yeah, I'm just trying to get as organised as I can because come September 1st everything is gonna open and I naturally want to have as many tickets to the raffle as I can. Plus I have to manage uni starting, my part time job, volunteering at the union in freshers week and actually having a life on top of all these application forms.

So, I found this page on TargetJobs about how to answer Mazars' application form questions:

Does anyone know if these are questions that Mazars has actually used, and whether they are still being used?

Pardon my ignorance, who is this Mazars you speak of?

Original post by ninegrandstudent
Not long at all - my telephone interview is scheduled for very soon and you know the result the next working day. Hope that helps - without giving too much away!

Interesting to hear of people getting EY interviews. The last communication I've had from them was something along the lines of "We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the screening stage of the recruitment process.
There are currently candidates ahead of you in the process and as a result, we have placed your application on hold.
We would like to make you aware that there is a possibility thatif the candidates ahead of you are successfulthey may fill the available positions. Should this occur we will be in touch to discuss your options."

Can anyone tell me what this actually means? I applied on literally the first day it was open and did the tests within 24 hours so how can candidates be ahead of me? Unless a ton of people applied the same day I guess
Original post by orange crush
Yeah, I'm just trying to get as organised as I can because come September 1st everything is gonna open and I naturally want to have as many tickets to the raffle as I can. Plus I have to manage uni starting, my part time job, volunteering at the union in freshers week and actually having a life on top of all these application forms.

Interesting to hear of people getting EY interviews. The last communication I've had from them was something along the lines of "We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the screening stage of the recruitment process.
There are currently candidates ahead of you in the process and as a result, we have placed your application on hold.
We would like to make you aware that there is a possibility thatif the candidates ahead of you are successfulthey may fill the available positions. Should this occur we will be in touch to discuss your options."

Can anyone tell me what this actually means? I applied on literally the first day it was open and did the tests within 24 hours so how can candidates be ahead of me? Unless a ton of people applied the same day I guess

I am unsure what it means - especially as I applied a few days after it opened. But I guess it also depends on service line and office. What have you gone for? Though feel free not to tell me!

Would be interested to know what peoples grades/experience is like. I won't start off by stating mine though, I encase no one else wants to discuss this kind of thin:smile:
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I am unsure what it means - especially as I applied a few days after it opened. But I guess it also depends on service line and office. What have you gone for? Though feel free not to tell me!

Would be interested to know what peoples grades/experience is like. I won't start off by stating mine though, I encase no one else wants to discuss this kind of thin:smile:

Applied for pensions at Leeds. I know I want to do pensions but I'd happily do it at the other office (London)

I'm on track for a 2:1 in Actuarial Science, won't say which uni, but I have a couple of CT exemptions and no industry experience
Applied for pensions at Leeds. I know I want to do pensions but I'd happily do it at the other office (London)

I'm on track for a 2:1 in Actuarial Science, won't say which uni, but I have a couple of CT exemptions and no industry experience

I've applied for General in London - I would guess they recruit based in office hence different progression times?

I should be on track for a 1st as long as I don't induce RSI as in second year, should get several exemptions also. Just about to finish 13 months of placement within GI, hence aiming for General.

Seems we have almost the same situation, haha. At least my course starts late Sept, so I'll have some time to get applications in, but I sill have to deal with moving, registration, all that jazz.

Global accountancy company. I didn't know about them until like two weeks ago when I found out they do an actuarial grad scheme and put them on my list. I'd put in a link, but since I'm a new member, TSR is 'moderating' all my link posts and deleting them. Gah. You can find Mazars grad schemes easily on Google anyway.

EDIT: Btw they open for applications on 1st Sep. I'm finding it really hard to find any info about their actuarial grad programme. I was planning to pre-answer the application questions so I could just copy & paste them in when applications open, but I can't find any info about word limits, or whether they're the righ questions, etc. Plus I can't seem to find anyone who's been on the actuarial scheme to get info about the day-to-day work there, what the culture is like, whether you can apply for a specific line of service, or if you're just in a team that handles everything from pensions to GI, etc. The wensite doesn't make it so clear.

No clue. I think it's worth calling them up and asking what's going on, because it doesn't make sense that you were put on hold. Everyone else I've heard of has either been rejected, is waiting to hear if they got through to the next stage, or has got through to interview.

Did you get feedback from the online tests?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, sorry to respond 2 months later lol. :P

I'm thinking of applying to the actuarial scheme at Mercer too; I've looked on the website and there are two options: Actuarial Trainee, and International Actuarial Trainee. They've explained the differences a little bit, and it seems like the normal role involves more DB & DC consulting, while the international role more broadly covers pensions & health. I'd still like to get some insight from someone who's worked there, though.

If you can, could you please let me know the main differences between these paths in terms of day-to-day work? Also, what are the prospects like for someone who'd like to do a secondment, or work on projects in different offices or even countries?

I'm sorry for the slow reply here, I'm not sure why I didn't see you quoted me! I'm afraid I'm not really sure what the international one is, I don't think it was there when I applied for it! If the standard actuarial trainee one is the same now as what I'm doing then it's pretty much just DB schemes.

Sorry, I've pretty much just given you a useless reply and it's not going to get much better! I know that you can move between offices but you do have to wait for a place to open up in that office. With regards to working in different countries I'm not completely sure - sorry again for the useless answers!
Original post by TheIrrational
I'm sorry for the slow reply here, I'm not sure why I didn't see you quoted me! I'm afraid I'm not really sure what the international one is, I don't think it was there when I applied for it! If the standard actuarial trainee one is the same now as what I'm doing then it's pretty much just DB schemes.

Sorry, I've pretty much just given you a useless reply and it's not going to get much better! I know that you can move between offices but you do have to wait for a place to open up in that office. With regards to working in different countries I'm not completely sure - sorry again for the useless answers!

No worries, haha. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by TheIrrational
If the standard actuarial trainee one is the same now as what I'm doing then it's pretty much just DB schemes.

Almost forgot to ask: how did you find the DB work? Was it interesting? (assuming that's what you did in your internship)
kpmgs open
Mazars is open too; 4 days earlier than expected.
Is work experience needed? Or is a strong academic record/strong online tests enough to get you into later rounds of the app process?
Reply 91
Hi guys,

Just hopping on as there's no other relevant thread. I'm looking to do an actuarial internship somewhere :smile:
Reply 92
Hi guys, hope the applications are going well! Does anyone know of any actuarial firms that are more relaxed with UCAS points?
Reply 93
Has anyone taken or going to take CT1 before applying to something?
Original post by Cerdic
Hi guys,

Just hopping on as there's no other relevant thread. I'm looking to do an actuarial internship somewhere :smile:

same here :smile: have you applied anywhere yet?
Reply 95
Original post by in-reveries
same here :smile: have you applied anywhere yet?

Nowhere yet. I know EY and Deloitte are open, so I'm probably going to start EY tomorrow. What about you?
Original post by Cerdic
Has anyone taken or going to take CT1 before applying to something?

I took CT1 during uni.. i think it played a part in securing my job offer.
Reply 97
Original post by bijesh12
I took CT1 during uni.. i think it played a part in securing my job offer.

Oh nice one. Did you do that in second or third year? Did you get an internship?
Original post by Cerdic
Oh nice one. Did you do that in second or third year? Did you get an internship?

Hey.. i done that during my final year. Nope no internship.. lucky enough to get the job without one :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by bijesh12
Hey.. i done that during my final year. Nope no internship.. lucky enough to get the job without one :smile:

Ah cool! Did you have much relevant work experience beforehand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending