The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Units4&5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chandru4
Well i got B as 2nd order ans X as 1st. My Stotal was like +6.33kj, i think.

With respect to A it was zero and with respect to the other reactant i wrote 3 and with catalyst i wrote 2 . it was so confusing
Well i got B as 2nd order ans X as 1st. My Stotal was like +6.33kj, i think.

Do you remember the value of enthaply change and of S of surrounding?
Original post by Fatima SJ
Do you remember the value of enthaply change and of S of surrounding?

Not sure. It was maybe 7.2 or smth? It had a 7 at the front as far as I know. What was your PH for NH3 and HCl.
With respect to A it was zero and with respect to the other reactant i wrote 3 and with catalyst i wrote 2 . it was so confusing

It was second order with respect to B, and first order with respect to X (the catalyst).

I worked it out using both logarithms and in the normal way because I was really unsure about it too at first. :eek:
Original post by thymolphthalein
It was second order with respect to B, and first order with respect to X (the catalyst).

I worked it out using both logarithms and in the normal way because I was really unsure about it too at first. :eek:

Awesome. Atleast I got that right. How about the first question is section B. The type of solution. What the hell was that? Plz say its a buffer solution, got nothing else
That biodiesel question was ridiculous!
What was the catalyst and purification method?
(edited 8 years ago)
Awesome. Atleast I got that right. How about the first question is section B. The type of solution. What the hell was that? Plz say its a buffer solution, got nothing else

yeah it was buffer

Yep, buffer. You can see that the region was almost flat too, indicating that the pH changes very little when acid is added!

Then you just have to write the generic explanation for a couple of lines about how there is a large reservoir of the substances involved in the buffer and how it will keep pH constant. 3 marks, of which 1 mark will be for saying it's a buffer solution. So 2 marks for the explanation bit.
and how did you guys get the enthalpy change in section c?
Please tell me :/
Original post by AhmedBilal

I wrote catalyst as sulfuric acid, and process as recrystallisation. But i think its fractional distil
Reply 30
How hard was the exam? What do u people think the grade boundaries should be?
I wrote catalyst as sulfuric acid, and process as recrystallisation. But i think its fractional distil

I wrote dilute HCL and recrystallization
Original post by Elolel
How hard was the exam? What do u people think the grade boundaries should be?

Hard to say. Alot of people in my exam hall left most of section C blank cause they wasted time on B. Might be low, but you cNt trust edexcel
what was the value for k?
Reply 34
Hard to say. Alot of people in my exam hall left most of section C blank cause they wasted time on B. Might be low, but you cNt trust edexcel

Yeah It was a pretty long paper! But the grade boundaries r pretty high for unit 4
Original post by AhmedBilal

Can't remember what I wrote for purification, probably something dumb...

Which catalyst? Do you mean for the reaction of methanol with the triglyceride thing?

According to my notes, it can be any strong alkali so I choose NaOH.
Reply 36
what was the value for k?

I got 40 for k! 1 st order for X second order for B wbu?
Original post by Elolel
I got 40 for k! 1 st order for X second order for B wbu?

I got 40 too
I got 40 as well. At least we did somethings right. :tongue:
Original post by thymolphthalein
I got 40 as well. At least we did somethings right. :tongue:

Haha 40 too. A ray of hope in that cloud of bs

Quick Reply

Latest