The Student Room Group

5 alevels is it too much ?

im taking psych , socio and bio in school while studying chemistry and maths statistics externally (all are Edexcel and IAL)
I want to aim for a scholarship so I'm aiming to do more towards heavy content based subjects.
I also want to work in the medical field and I'm aware there is alot of competition
for reference I got B"s and A's in my GCSEs and one C for art which I dont really mind
I wanted to hear advice from people who have already done these subjects or just a levels in general
ty :smile:
Original post by ninobino
im taking psych , socio and bio in school while studying chemistry and maths statistics externally (all are Edexcel and IAL)
I want to aim for a scholarship so I'm aiming to do more towards heavy content based subjects.
I also want to work in the medical field and I'm aware there is alot of competition
for reference I got B"s and A's in my GCSEs and one C for art which I dont really mind
I wanted to hear advice from people who have already done these subjects or just a levels in general

Are you looking to study Med in the UK?
No university will require 5 A levels and many won't even take 4 into account. To do medicine it would be expected that you'd have Chemistry I think, and then other core sciences. For other degrees in the medical field (Pharmacology, medical science, etc) I would also expect them to want core science A levels. Focus on 3-4 and get the best grades you can in those, and see how you go.
Reply 3

You only need 3 A levels - doing 5 is not going to help you.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Are you looking to study Med in the UK?

my options are open so I'm not quite sure but if I get the chance to I would
Reply 5
Original post by tiredgiraff
No university will require 5 A levels and many won't even take 4 into account. To do medicine it would be expected that you'd have Chemistry I think, and then other core sciences. For other degrees in the medical field (Pharmacology, medical science, etc) I would also expect them to want core science A levels. Focus on 3-4 and get the best grades you can in those, and see how you go.

I didn't get the best gcse results so I want to make up for it that's why I wanted to take more than 3 alevels , I'll try doing the As first to see if I can get the grasp of it and if I can't I'll just do 4 or 3 instead
but thank you for responding:smile:
Don’t do 5 A Levels.

You’ll wear your time thin spreading it between 5 A Levels, especially doing 5 A Levels that are so content heavy and demanding as you’ve chosen. There’s really no benefit to doing 5, if you want to do four then sure, but even that is too much work.

It’s better to perform really well in 3 A Levels than to perform mediocrely in 5 or even 4. Trust me, A Levels is a lot of work.
You’re being absolutely ridiculous. You don’t need 5 and that level of workload is likely to make your grades in all subjects suffer.
Definitely too much, especially when all of them are very demanding. If you want to stand out I'd recommend activities that you do e.g. DoE, prefect, competitions, work experiences instead of 5 subjects that won't matter to unis anyway
I didn't get the best gcse results so I want to make up for it that's why I wanted to take more than 3 alevels , I'll try doing the As first to see if I can get the grasp of it and if I can't I'll just do 4 or 3 instead
but thank you for responding:smile:

I understand the thought process but it doesn't really work like that - lots of school limit it to 3 A levels, meaning that doing extra requires a tutor and money, meaning it would be elitist for unis to rank students based on the number of A levels. If I were you I'd focus on bio, chem and maths and then research the unis with less emphasis on GCSE grades. For example, Oxford emphasises GCSEs a lot more than Cambridge.
my options are open so I'm not quite sure but if I get the chance to I would

Then as above, 5 will be a waste of time and you will be far better served by acing 3 subjects. (I'm not even aware if 4 would be an advantage for any UK med school).

Additional qualifications won't make up for defecits elsewhere. There is a lot of good info in the Medicine subforum about how the selection process works and how you can apply selectively to give yourself the best chance of an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest