The Student Room Group

Game of Thrones book-readers are annoying af

we don't care what a character in the books ate and how that is different to what they had in the show nor do we care whether Shireen wasn't supposed to get burned under Stannis's commands or otherwise... jeeeez :colonhash:

Give yourself a pat on the shoulder you read ASOIAF well done, the show is BASED on the books it doesn't have to stay faithful to every period, it's arguably it's own entity now so let show-watchers enjoy the series without feeling like we're watching the wrong thing

/rant
It's the way how they execute the scenes, which really don't make sense...
Don't get the hype about GofT in general.
Show watchers forget that the books have a massive fan base too, it's upsetting to see a brilliant story mutilated.
I dont understand why people get fussy over the little things, but this past series has diverted almost entirely from the books its losing focus with what the show was when it was at its most popular. e.g. Jaime being in Dorne means he isn't in the Riverlands for an incredibly important scene which develops his character in the new direction for the rest of the series.
Original post by Anonynmous

Agreed - I forced myself through a whole season and still wasn't feeling it.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's diverging from the books because the show runners want it to have it's own identity and not be a carbon copy of the books. Just because Jaime isn't in the riverlands doesn't mean his character can't develop from other events.

I know the books have a big fanbase too, but why does it matter if the show is different when that doesn't effect the books in any way?
Original post by StressedByDay
It's the way how they execute the scenes, which really don't make sense...

I hear you, maybe they won't make sense for book-readers that already had a visual image in there head from the story but for people that only watch the show it's their first encounter
Original post by Anonynmous

Original post by thecatwithnohat
Agreed - I forced myself through a whole season and still wasn't feeling it.

I was like that in the beginning too, the first few episodes were very slow but you have to watch it with an open mind :biggrin: there must be a reason for its success don't you think
Original post by All-rounder
Show watchers forget that the books have a massive fan base too, it's upsetting to see a brilliant story mutilated.
I dont understand why people get fussy over the little things, but this past series has diverted almost entirely from the books its losing focus with what the show was when it was at its most popular. e.g. Jaime being in Dorne means he isn't in the Riverlands for an incredibly important scene which develops his character in the new direction for the rest of the series.

this is the reason I made this thread can't you see? :lol: the show is BASED on the books.. Jamie doesn't have to be in the Riverlands in the show if the creators don't want him to. The writer approves all the episodes anyway and I understand the frustration of the book-readers watching something they like get twisted around but you can not watch it ? that's also an option
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
It's diverging from the books because the show runners want it to have it's own identity and not be a carbon copy of the books. Just because Jaime isn't in the riverlands doesn't mean his character can't develop from other events.

I know the books have a big fanbase too, but why does it matter if the show is different when that doesn't effect the books in any way?

thank you sir
Original post by Hatsune Miku
I was like that in the beginning too, the first few episodes were very slow but you have to watch it with an open mind :biggrin: there must be a reason for its success don't you think

I did lol - just didnt appeal to me lol, never heard of it before i started watching it with a friend.
this is the reason I made this thread can't you see? :lol: the show is BASED on the books.. Jamie doesn't have to be in the Riverlands in the show if the creators don't want him to. The writer approves all the episodes anyway and I understand the frustration of the book-readers watching something they like get twisted around but you can not watch it ? that's also an option

Its supposed to ILLUSTRATE the books! George R R Martin had loads of offers to turn his series into TV shows and movies, but refused them all until the current two producers met him and ensured him that the TV Show would stay true to the books and that they wouldnt ruin the stories he had created which were insanely popular.
And there's no guarantee that he has approed all of the episodes (if any) this season as he's been too busy writing the next book in the series. It's given the producers far too much leeway with what they're doing. If he doesn't finish the final book before the shows get to it then they'll be able to put loads of input into how it finishes.

And lets face it, this series has been pretty thin regardless. I wouldn't dream of stopping watching it because the past 4 series have been amazing and I love the show, even if it is a worse version of the books.
Not all of us are annoying af, some of us are just dorks who still live at home with our mums and like to watch and read for our own personal enjoyment. But I do agree some readers are hella annoying :angry:
Original post by All-rounder
Its supposed to ILLUSTRATE the books! George R R Martin had loads of offers to turn his series into TV shows and movies, but refused them all until the current two producers met him and ensured him that the TV Show would stay true to the books and that they wouldnt ruin the stories he had created which were insanely popular.
And there's no guarantee that he has approed all of the episodes (if any) this season as he's been too busy writing the next book in the series. It's given the producers far too much leeway with what they're doing. If he doesn't finish the final book before the shows get to it then they'll be able to put loads of input into how it finishes.

And lets face it, this series has been pretty thin regardless. I wouldn't dream of stopping watching it because the past 4 series have been amazing and I love the show, even if it is a worse version of the books.

that's fair but portraying a story to television is a whole different art form so you won't get to see everything there was in the books some people just don't understand that. Even if Benioff and Weiss ****ted on the show... the book-readers still have their books it's not like the books got worse so they need to calm the f*ck down
that's fair but portraying a story to television is a whole different art form so you won't get to see everything there was in the books some people just don't understand that. Even if Benioff and Weiss ****ted on the show... the book-readers still have their books it's not like the books got worse so they need to calm the f*ck down

Yeah I agree there just wont be time to show everything, and that's why I'm a fan of both and I'm only ever bothered if they make massive unnecessary changes like they have this series.
Season 5 has not been great though....
If the show is supposed to be based on the books, isn't it logical that the books finish before the show? That's the only thing that pisses me off. What's the point in continuing the books if the show is going to overtake it.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
If the show is supposed to be based on the books, isn't it logical that the books finish before the show? That's the only thing that pisses me off. What's the point in continuing the books if the show is going to overtake it.

the books shouldn't compliment the show, it's the other way round. The author is writing his two other books for his book followers, and no the books don't need to be completed for the show to take inspiration from the books, we have already established the core premises of GOT so from here on the two could diverge drastically
the books shouldn't compliment the show, it's the other way round. The author is writing his two other books for his book followers, and no the books don't need to be completed for the show to take inspiration from the books, we have already established the core premises of GOT so from here on the two could diverge drastically

I know, that's what I meant - the show is supposed to compliment the book, not the other way round. Just because the show can overtake the books doesn't mean it should. Look at The Walking Dead - it diverged so much from the graphic novels that it's not a pile of ****. I don't want that happening to my fave show :frown:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I know, that's what I meant - the show is supposed to compliment the book, not the other way round. Just because the show can overtake the books doesn't mean it should. Look at The Walking Dead - it diverged so much from the graphic novels that it's not a pile of ****. I don't want that happening to my fave show :frown:

hahaa I feel you :wink: neither do I but I rather this than wait a couple year before both books are written, and then the episodes are filmed.. the wait is too painful :no:

Quick Reply

Latest