The Student Room Group

Ahmed the 'Clock Boy' seeks $15 million in compensation

Scroll to see replies

You can't ignore how litigious it is in the USA. His lawyers can also take a share of the damages he wins I think (on a contingency fee basis).

So I imagine some lawyers approached his parents:

"we think you have a strong case, you don't have to pay a penny or do any work but if we win, we'll take 30% of the damages"

Anyone's response in that situation? Sure why not.. I got nothing to lose and could get some money.
Little piece of ****. Interesting that "humanist" girl who licked his arse for a month afterwards hasn't commented yet.

Little ****ing rodent, not only was his "clock" just one which he'd taken out of another clock and put in a new case, not only did he get trips to the white house and MIT and a scholarship and gifts from Microsoft but NOW he wants $15mil compensation?! Scum.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that it was all planned by the parents knowing he'd be stopped and racially profiled just so that they could ride a wave of free gifts and then claim compensation. I'm glad the public will now finally see this kid and his parents for what they are
Original post by thunder_chunky
I don't blame him for suing. Whether that amount is justified is another matter.

Are you serious?

He didn't build a clock, he took it out of casing and put it in a suitcase, where it looked suspiciously like a bomb.

Imagine if it HAD been a bomb (it was his English teacher who reported it, so understandable they don't know anything about bombs) and it hadn't been reported/confiscated, and then it was detonated killing several students, and people found out teachers had known about it, they would be suing the school/teachers.

And if I was a parent, I would be more annoyed if they hadn't confiscated and reported it.

This whole thing is just another "Why is everyone out to get muslims??" thread. Absolutely ridiculous, and people like you make the whole situation worse by sticking up for these nutjobs.
I knew this prick didn't make the clock. I said in a previous post, I did something more advacned, soldering a chip to my xbox 360 at his age than just taking a case out of a clock and then gluing it into a box.

Like if the guy just put together a cut, then fair play but he didn't lol. I like the way most of you guys were all licking from every side and now doing the exact opposite. Wake up SHEEPLE!
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/3tz0jg/ahmed_mohamed_demands_15m_compensation_and/

Kids getting slayed on reddit and boy does he ****ing deserve it. If half of what these people are saying him and his parents are truly disgusting people. Thought at the time that the reporting was suspiciously biased
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Are you serious?

He didn't build a clock, he took it out of casing and put it in a suitcase, where it looked suspiciously like a bomb.

Imagine if it HAD been a bomb (it was his English teacher who reported it, so understandable they don't know anything about bombs) and it hadn't been reported/confiscated, and then it was detonated killing several students, and people found out teachers had known about it, they would be suing the school/teachers.

And if I was a parent, I would be more annoyed if they hadn't confiscated and reported it.

This whole thing is just another "Why is everyone out to get muslims??" thread. Absolutely ridiculous, and people like you make the whole situation worse by sticking up for these nutjobs.

Whether he built the clock himself or just reassembled it is irrelevant. And you can pull out the "what ifs" until the cows come home. The point is, it was entirely innocent but he was deemed suspicious because he is Muslim. All thanks to fear mongering, amongst other things.
It was a wrongful arrest, and defamation of character. Also, permanent damage to his reputation. This story will exist for all of time now.
I don't blame him, this whole thing came about because of bigotry.
Reply 26
Original post by leinad2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/3tz0jg/ahmed_mohamed_demands_15m_compensation_and/

Kids getting slayed on reddit and boy does he ****ing deserve it. If half of what these people are saying him and his parents are truly disgusting people. Thought at the time that the reporting was suspiciously biased

Wu-Tang_Flan:
His dad keeps trying to become the president of Sudan. I'm pretty sure good people don't do that.
Mabepossibly:
Sudan...Could be spelled SueDan. Sue Dan. Dan is the the president of the school board.

:lol:
Reply 27
I made a more elaborate clock in school, it was smaller and had a clock-face and everything, so it was far more practical than Ahmed's. Where's my scholarship? :shakecane:
The problem now is the political implication. Can't wait for Trump to talk a load of **** about Muslims. Trumps public opinion ratings will soar. Trump wins 2k16 election all due to a stupid greedy little prick and his parents hoaxing the school board with a fake anti-Islam scam with a clock.

Thanks Ahmed, ****ing thanks
Reply 29
The point is, it was entirely innocent but he was deemed suspicious because he is Muslim. All thanks to fear mongering, amongst other things.
It was a wrongful arrest, and defamation of character. Also, permanent damage to his reputation. This story will exist for all of time now.
The point is, he was detained under suspicion of breaking Texas state law, to wit, it is an offence to manufacture or display a hoax bomb with the intention of provoking a response.

It is clear that there was evidence that this offence may have been committed, and the boy's "uncommunacative and passive-aggressive" response to questioning only exacerbated the situation. The police want to release all the records and recordings of the incident but as Ahmed is a minor they need his parents' permission - and guess what? Correct, they are refusing. Shame, as that could have gone a long way to confirming the family's version and refuting the police's.
Perhaps it's because they are a very private familiy who want to avoid the media spotlight?
Whether he built the clock himself or just reassembled it is irrelevant. And you can pull out the "what ifs" until the cows come home. The point is, it was entirely innocent but he was deemed suspicious because he is Muslim. All thanks to fear mongering, amongst other things.

Do you actually know what bigotry means? Because this has nothing to do with anyone being a bigot...
Original post by kka25
Wu-Tang_Flan:
His dad keeps trying to become the president of Sudan. I'm pretty sure good people don't do that.
Mabepossibly:
Sudan...Could be spelled SueDan. Sue Dan. Dan is the the president of the school board.

:lol:

Off topic but I do love Reddit.
Do you actually know what bigotry means? Because this has nothing to do with anyone being a bigot...

This. It's easy to throw around the word bigotry but if you don't clearly understand its definition you just seem like a fool.
Original post by QE2
The point is, he was detained under suspicion of breaking Texas state law, to wit, it is an offence to manufacture or display a hoax bomb with the intention of provoking a response.

Naturally, assuming that this was his intention. I've not seen much to prove this conclusively though. What proof is there that this was his intention?

It is clear that there was evidence that this offence may have been committed, and the boy's "uncommunacative and passive-aggressive" response to questioning only exacerbated the situation. The police want to release all the records and recordings of the incident but as Ahmed is a minor they need his parents' permission - and
guess what? Correct, they are refusing. Shame, as that could have gone a long way to confirming the family's version and refuting the police's.
Perhaps it's because they are a very private familiy who want to avoid the media spotlight?

So because he and his family were being difficult in terms of cooperation, he's guilty? Loads of people resist compliance with the police. Maybe because he didn't like the way he'd ben picked up.
The situation clearly could have been handled better, and the reaction by many shows the obscene bigotry that probably led to it bein blown up out of proportion. (Pun intended. )
If he actually did mean to cause a hoax or worse, then sure they acted appropriately, but I haven't seen much to actually support that.

1) He's Muslim.
2) This happened in Texas.

Yeah, no bigotry involved. Surrre.

OK, so next time a muslim brings a possible bomb into a building, leave them alone because they're muslim. And if it is a bomb and blows the building up? Oh well, hundreds of people could die but at least you didn't wrongfully arrest a muslim!

And while we're at it, next time someone calls in a bomb threat on a plane, don't bother grounding it and sweeping it for bombs? Just fly and if it blows up, oh well, at least no muslims were offended.

Like I said, people who think like you are just as bad as the terrorists, and the reason so many get away with things.
I'm guessing 250k wasn't good enough for him.

Makes you wonder whether he staged the whole scenario....

"There's no prototype board, no home-soldering, just pristine, factory-made electronics. He built it like I cook cereal."

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

(Taken from Reddit by the way.)
Reply 38
Naturally, assuming that this was his intention. I've not seen much to prove this conclusively though. What proof is there that this was his intention?
"Intent" is a very difficult thing to prove. As he was released without charge, they clearly decided that a prosecution was either not possible or not necessary.

So because he and his family were being difficult in terms of cooperation, he's guilty?
Nothing to do with his family, it was his behaviour when police arrived at the school.
The refusal of his parents to allow the publication of records is merely circumstantial with regard to the possible content. However, imagine that Ahmed claimed that he had been mistreated by the police, but they refused to release records of his detention - everyone would be crying "Cover up! They're obviously guilty!".

The situation clearly could have been handled better, and the reaction by many shows the obscene bigotry that probably led to it bein blown up out of proportion. (Pun intended. )
Very true. This applies to both sides.

If he actually did mean to cause a hoax or worse, then sure they acted appropriately, but I haven't seen much to actually support that.
Apart from the unsolicited act of putting the unmodified innards of a shop-bought digital clock into a mini suitcase, resulting in an object that had clear visual cues to the classic movie suitcase bomb, and taking it into school? And being told by a teacher to keep it out of sight due to its potentially suspicious appearance? And his subsequent showing of it to other teachers and his setting off the alarm, until eventually one teacher took action?

No, apart from that, there isn't much to suggest a deliberate act. The fact that his sister had previously been suspended from the same school for making a (probably lighthearted) bomb threat almost certainly had no bearing on the issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
1) He's Muslim.
2) This happened in Texas.

Yeah, no bigotry involved. Surrre.
Every single Texas police officer could be a rabid racist and Klan member, but if a BME person commits a crime in Texas, does that mean that the action of the officer arresting is therefore an act of bigotry?

Ironic that you are actually displaying bigotry towards the non-Muslim population of Texas.
It's quite interesting how often those crying "bigotry" and similar are often the ones actually displaying the prejudice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending