The Student Room Group

Might get a third class. Is it all over for me?

I'm in my 3rd year of my BEng in Mechanical Engineering in Newcastle university. I'm currently only scraping a 2:2 and this year is really hard so I'm worried I might not maintain the 2:2 and drop down to a third, or even worse I might fail.
I am trying, I'm always studying in the library but I've come to the conclusion that this level of academia(doing this subject at a high ranked university) isn't for me so I don't want to to a masters.
According to unistats, a significant minority will get a third, so even if I do, I won't be the only one.What opportunities are there for people with third class degrees in Engineering? Is the best thing to stay in the UK or are they more lenient in other countries in terms of degree classification?
Yes. Its over. Of course not lol. But hoefully someone like smack woth exp can advise ya better
Reply 2
Not all over but if you're on a Desmond its best to work harder and maintain it or even aim for a 2:1...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Other countries
Its not over yet mate, if you're really struggling speak to the head of your module for advice on maybe your study technique, plus we still have our dissertations left to do which counts for 40% of our final year (at least for my course anyway) so your degree can still be saved. Although worst thing you can do is stress too hard about it as that can hurt your performance..
Reply 5
Do worry I got a third class.

Now I am a manger of the friers at Mcdonalds.

So you can still make it. :smile:
Canadian Medical Hall of Famer Prof Chevalier Lap-Chee Tsui Esq OC OOnt JP BSc MPhil PhD FRSC FRSL FRS HonFRCP HonFWIF FANAS, potential future Nobel Prize winner, had a third-class BSc degree from Chinese University of Hong Kong back then. But he managed to do an MPhil and then a PhD at Pittsburgh. He then taught at University of Toronto and became Vice-Chancellor of University of Hong Kong. He was subsequently awarded at least eight honorary doctorates, five fellowships, knighted in France (highest honour), appointed on to the Order of Canada (highest honour), and made a Justice of the Peace in Hong Kong.
Reply 7
I was averaging 80~85% on my coursework throughout my degree but completely tanked at the Exams, which unfortunately accounted for 70% (I think) of the overall mark. So I ended up with a 2:2

After 9 months of intermittent volunteering and work experience at a number of engineering companies who "were not in a position to take me on" I ran out of options and signed up to a temp agency.

My first paid job out of uni was a temp position over 3 days where I stuffed over 6000 envelopes. I'm now pissing my life away with a **** admin job but have managed to freelance some CAD work here and there.

I really hope you do better than I did.
Original post by Pastel
I was averaging 80~85% on my coursework throughout my degree but completely tanked at the Exams, which unfortunately accounted for 70% (I think) of the overall mark. So I ended up with a 2:2

After 9 months of intermittent volunteering and work experience at a number of engineering companies who "were not in a position to take me on" I ran out of options and signed up to a temp agency.

My first paid job out of uni was a temp position over 3 days where I stuffed over 6000 envelopes. I'm now pissing my life away with a **** admin job but have managed to freelance some CAD work here and there.

I really hope you do better than I did.

I never really get people who say this....."I averaged a high coursework mark but ****ed up exams".....of course it's easy to do well in coursework you have/had weeks to look up the work in books or notes not to mention colleagues often help each other with answers however in the exam it is your understanding of the topics that is truly tested. So if you didn't put emphasis on actually understanding the engineering science then of course you will get a poor grade, not rocket science!

Anyway with a 2.2 it's not the end of the world a number of engineering employers take people with 2.2's just don't look at stupidly competitive companies (3rd class tbh is disaster and will be extremely hard). Hope it all works out for you :smile:
Original post by worriedbtxams
I'm in my 3rd year of my BEng in Mechanical Engineering in Newcastle university. I'm currently only scraping a 2:2 and this year is really hard so I'm worried I might not maintain the 2:2 and drop down to a third, or even worse I might fail.
I am trying, I'm always studying in the library but I've come to the conclusion that this level of academia(doing this subject at a high ranked university) isn't for me so I don't want to to a masters.
According to unistats, a significant minority will get a third, so even if I do, I won't be the only one.What opportunities are there for people with third class degrees in Engineering? Is the best thing to stay in the UK or are they more lenient in other countries in terms of degree classification?

Its not over at all my tutor in college has a third degree and he had quite a good career life, what will boast your cv is work experience and work placements, employees want to see skills a degree is just one way of showing that, you may find that you can't go for the high end jobs that's all and you might have to work your way up with a third, an apprenticeship or graduate scheme is always an option too or teaching anything to show that you have the skills you say you have, maybe do a masters at a lower ranked uni? Doesn't have to be in engineering, lots of other topics go with engineering like management/finance or science or computing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending