The Student Room Group

Help (for uni/uni prep)

I’m currently on a gap year, entering uni to read Aerospace Engineering in Sept 2024. How early must I recap my a level maths / physics?
Original post by Nasha Adrina
I’m currently on a gap year, entering uni to read Aerospace Engineering in Sept 2024. How early must I recap my a level maths / physics?

Hey @Nasha Adrina
Hope you have been enjoying your gap year and looking forward to starting uni.
Whilst I don't study engineering, I would say it is always good to keep your knowledge fresh in your head. Looking over it bit by bit will help make it less of a last minute cram. Often students come to uni from all different backgrounds and in first year this is taken into account so some classes will have more of a recap/solidifying key knowledge and skills whereas others may have greater expectation. Therefore, having a familiar and solid grasp of what you covered in your A levels won't do any harm. It might be good to see if you can reach out to anyone on the course who might help to direct what you may need to know.
All the best ! Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 2

Maybe you could flick through an entry level textbook for your course and see how well you can follow it?

Hi there,

I hope you've had a great gap year and are looking forward to starting this new chapter!

I don't study engineering, but it is great to keep refreshing your knowledge. I'd say start now, and keep working on it little by little until your course starts, as to not overwhelm yourself. Your first year is likely to have a more general focus of key knowledge, as people are coming from different levels, but it might be good to get a grasp on these ideas now to make it easier for yourself later.

It could be a good idea to see if you can find contact information for someone on the course, as they might be able to point you in the direction of helpful resources. You might also be able to find an entry-level textbook, as it has been said, which would be useful. There are likely lots of resources online also, such as papers, academic articles, and quizzes that you can try.

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

A good idea to start now. No need to be super-intense and slave away over the content though, because they'll probably also refresh you the key maths and physics content. Always good to have a head start though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending