The Student Room Group

Got 69.5% in my second year university results... can I still get a first?

Hi everyone,

So, I've just received my second year results for all my modules and my average percentage is 69.5% which is a 2:1.

I study diagnostic radiography btw and the way my course works is the first year accounts for 20% of the degree classification, second year is worth 30% and third year is worth 50%.

I managed to get a first in my first year (average 75%)- this year my result slightly dipped.

Is it still possible to get a first for my degree classification and what percentage do you think I would need to get that 1st?

Many thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

So, I've just received my second year results for all my modules and my average percentage is 69.5% which is a 2:1.

I study diagnostic radiography btw and the way my course works is the first year accounts for 20% of the degree classification, second year is worth 30% and third year is worth 50%.

I managed to get a first in my first year (average 75%)- this year my result slightly dipped.

Is it still possible to get a first for my degree classification and what percentage do you think I would need to get that 1st?

Many thanks,

I would have thought this level of maths shouldn't be beyond the capability of a diagnostic radiography student. Oh well...

Using:
final grade = weight1*grade1 + weight2*grade2+...
70% = 0.2*75 + 0.3*69.5 + 0.5*x
= 35.85 + 0.5x
34.15 = 0.5x
x = 68.3%

In other words, you would need a 68.3% average in your third year in order to secure the borderline first class grade for your degree.
I would aim for a 75% average in the third year just to give yourself a bit of leeway just in case.

Having said that, a 2:1 is usually more than good enough to go into diagnostic radiography at the NHS as far as I know. A first class is the cherry on top though, and I encourage people to get first class grades where possible.
Reply 2
I would have thought this level of maths shouldn't be beyond the capability of a diagnostic radiography student. Oh well...

Using:
final grade = weight1*grade1 + weight2*grade2+...
70% = 0.2*75 + 0.3*69.5 + 0.5*x
= 35.85 + 0.5x
34.15 = 0.5x
x = 68.3%

In other words, you would need a 68.3% average in your third year in order to secure the borderline first class grade for your degree.
I would aim for a 75% average in the third year just to give yourself a bit of leeway just in case.

Having said that, a 2:1 is usually more than good enough to go into diagnostic radiography at the NHS as far as I know. A first class is the cherry on top though, and I encourage people to get first class grades where possible.

Hey, thanks for the help. That first remark was uncalled for- all I did was ask for help. Don’t think there was any need to be salty. But thanks again for the response.
Hi everyone,

Many thanks,

Hi there,

If you haven't started your third year then you are in a very good position to get a 1st! Most students improve slightly into their third year due to increased experience and typically placing a greater focus upon their studies in the final year. As the other poster has said you to essentially to achieve 71% to make sure that you at over the 70% line for 1st in your final classification.

Good luck and enjoy your summer ahead of final year!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 4
Deleted
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi
I'm an overseas student intending to studying Diagnostic Radiography.
I heard stories about the difficulty in passing the course of Physiotherapy, in particular international students struggle in placement and I heard a failing rate of 30% in one uni.
But I can't find much information about this in Radiography.

I would be very grateful if anyone studying in Radiography may share more information about this: e.g, how difficult is it to pass the course (i.e. the average passing rate or from your observation of the students' performance on average)? Is it difficult to pass placement (for someone who may not be good at social skills)?

Many thanks!
Hii im going to do Diagnostic Radiography at Hertfordshire which is 100% Coursework!!
Is learning to do coursework hard/ formatting it/ level of detail etc.?
Basically im usually more confident in my exam abilities so just wondering how it will be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending